Dr. Grinspoon Sativa - Barneys Farm

General discussion about cannabis and coffeeshops.
TwoCanucks

Post by TwoCanucks »

To each his own, no single weed will please every man on earth.

I enjoyed all the quazes and grinspoon I tried last time in Dam... and plan on hitting many of them again in March.

https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/forum/viewt ... c&start=60

Amsterdam dreaming.............
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Stanky Danky wrote:I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my list for next week. The high price is due to plants low yield and long flowering time. I think you are also paying top dollar for it's 26% THC content.
:lol: 26% the grower wishes
Kingdoc wrote:2 words RIP OFF.
:lol:
ZBeebs wrote: if you get it and expect to be hammered for your money, you will be disappointed. This is what I would call "thinking mans herb".
Yep and i was thinking "Fuck me i have been ripped off in barneys for a change" :lol:
Boner wrote:
El Shedro 420 wrote:Jesus guys, where's the love? :lol: thanks for all the tips, my plan of attack is certainly taking shape now!
Unfortunately hostitlity seems to of raised it's ugly head on this forum recently.
:lol:
Stanky Danky

Post by Stanky Danky »

I have read alot of reviews on this strain and the opionion on it seems to be quite split. Alot of the people who said they liked it comment on what a great wake and bake bud it is and a nice clear sativa high. Most of the people who say they didn't like it complain of the high price, but often say it wasn't bad either. Personally after spending so much money to go to Amsterdam you wont see me sweating the couple extra euro to experience a strong sativa like this one.
Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron »

Stanky Danky wrote:I have read alot of reviews on this strain and the opionion on it seems to be quite split. Alot of the people who said they liked it comment on what a great wake and bake bud it is and a nice clear sativa high. Most of the people who say they didn't like it complain of the high price, but often say it wasn't bad either. Personally after spending so much money to go to Amsterdam you wont see me sweating the couple extra euro to experience a strong sativa like this one.
I suppose I fit into a different category altogether, one who might like the gear but not at E17/g. I am one of many who travel to The Netherlands on a regular basis and do have a problem with paying for gear that cost more than travel expenses. But as long as there are thousands like yourself, we call them cannabis tourists, some shops will continue to charge ridiculous prices, regardless of actual value.
PT Barnum comes to mind.
Peace.
Stanky Danky

Post by Stanky Danky »

Dirty Uncle Ron wrote:
Stanky Danky wrote:I have read alot of reviews on this strain and the opionion on it seems to be quite split. Alot of the people who said they liked it comment on what a great wake and bake bud it is and a nice clear sativa high. Most of the people who say they didn't like it complain of the high price, but often say it wasn't bad either. Personally after spending so much money to go to Amsterdam you wont see me sweating the couple extra euro to experience a strong sativa like this one.
I suppose I fit into a different category altogether, one who might like the gear but not at E17/g. I am one of many who travel to The Netherlands on a regular basis and do have a problem with paying for gear that cost more than travel expenses. But as long as there are thousands like yourself, we call them cannabis tourists, some shops will continue to charge ridiculous prices, regardless of actual value.
PT Barnum comes to mind.
Peace.
If you're traveling to Amsterdam to hit up the coffeeshops you're a cannabis tourists. I know alot of people like yourself who have been to Amsterdam alot don't see yourself as tourists, but you are. You must have pretty cheap travel expenses if 17 euros is more than your expenses. Coming from America, after shelling out more than $1,000 just to make the trip possible an extra couple euro is not a thing to me, and I won't let the price ruin my high. When I'm on vacation it's time to pamper myself, I leave the penny pinching for home.
Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron »

Stanky Danky wrote:
Dirty Uncle Ron wrote:
PT Barnum comes to mind.
Peace.
If you're traveling to Amsterdam to hit up the coffeeshops you're a cannabis tourists. I know alot of people like yourself who have been to Amsterdam alot don't see yourself as tourists, but you are. You must have pretty cheap travel expenses if 17 euros is more than your expenses. Coming from America, after shelling out more than $1,000 just to make the trip possible an extra couple euro is not a thing to me, and I won't let the price ruin my high. When I'm on vacation it's time to pamper myself, I leave the penny pinching for home.
When I visit The Netherlands, which is nearly every week, I don't always visit a C/S. As far as Amsterdam is concerned, I might visit once every couple of months. With over 500 days and nights in Amsterdam so far, not a big deal anymore. So in essence and in fact, I am not a cannabis tourist.
You and those like you come to The Netherlands, pay for overpriced gear, then its back home you go, no worries about how your purchasing ridiculously priced gear has affected those of us who purchase gear on a regular basis.

There are those like myself who typically buy the maximum amount. I, like many others, live near The Netherlands, but not so close that it's economically practical to travel everyday. As for my travel expenses, I pay less than E50 for diesel to reach Maastricht, Venlo, or Eindhoven. I think it quite ridiculous to travel a few hours to buy and smoke one gram, a few hours returning home, and then spending E50 for diesel, hence the need to buy more than one gram. And at E17/g, that's E85, which equates to $25/g for a total of $125. Putting this into another perspective, nearly $700 per ounce. Is any gear worth this price?

I don't think ill of those like yourself that want to pamper themselves while on vacation, I do as well, I am suggesting that consideration be given to the ramifications of paying ridiculously overpriced boutique gear, even if only one gram at a time. Buy and fly does have its consequences on the price of all gear.
Lastly, has anyone seen any Quaze around lately? If not, wait until the end of April or early May, right before the tourist season begins. And I will go as far as to state that there will be more gear priced in the E15 category than ever before.

Peace.
Stanky Danky

Post by Stanky Danky »

Blame the tourist for greedy shop owners raping the consumer if it makes you happy, but I know who is to blame. There are plenty of shops outside the city centre with lower prices if you are a traveler on a tight budget. If I was like you and lived near the Netherlands I would probably frequent shops close to the border as well, but I would also make trips to Amsterdam to sample some of the strains that are unique to the local shops.
Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron »

Stanky Danky wrote:Blame the tourist for greedy shop owners raping the consumer if it makes you happy, but I know who is to blame. There are plenty of shops outside the city centre with lower prices if you are a traveler on a tight budget. If I was like you and lived near the Netherlands I would probably frequent shops close to the border as well, but I would also make trips to Amsterdam to sample some of the strains that are unique to the local shops.
What I have discovered, as most in my situation, is that border towns typically have higher average prices, no surprise there, higher demand. The shops in Amsterdam however are the primary culprits with one-off-boutique strains as the one mentioned in this thread, along with the likes of Quaze @ E15.
As for blame, I place this on the consumer. If the customers don't buy it, the shops may have to lower the price or end up loosing it all in the end. We the consumer ultimately control the price through demand. So, do you still know who is to blame? I am willing to bet that the majority of regulars to the coffee shop scene rarely purchase these overpriced boutique strains, mainly because we know better. These are fly-by-night strains, IMO specifically aimed at tourists, mainly because they don't know any better. As a final note, most "local" shops use the same set of suppliers. Granted there are shops that grow their own, and in some cases they also supply other shops. This is rare.
Example: A supplier offers C/S's Amnesia. There are shops that will re-brand the strain to something like Fat Joe's Amnesia and charge E13.50/g. Another shop offering the same keeps the name, Amnesia, and charges E10/g. So, do you pay for Fat Joe's because it has a unique name or, because you know how some shop owners operate, go to the other shop?
This is the type of information that tourists typically don't know, and hopefully those that stumble into this website will use the search function and be forewarned. Also, one could do as the OP has done which is to start a thread and ask peoples opinion. When we give our opinion, the last thing we expect is to be flamed for it. Take some opinions with a grain of salt, but most are spot on, at least from the veteran smokers.

Peace.
Stanky Danky

Post by Stanky Danky »

The shop owner sets the price not the consumer. If the price is set lower they will more than than likely sell more product. However in setting the price higher it sometimes peaks the curiousity of the consumer who wants to know if it is really worth the price. People are going to buy the product regardless so your point is mute to me. Barneys has no doubt lost some business for having higher prices as is evident by several comments on this forum. In the end it's a gamble an owner takes setting his prices higher, the consumer really has no say.
Bob2

Post by Bob2 »

over the last 5 years barneys has gone up and up, i know some new strains have longer cycles and less bud per plant. but if we accept it and pay more everyone else will put prices up as well, last trip the average price per gram for top strains 12-14. you dont get charged that down de pijp area.
Stanky Danky

Post by Stanky Danky »

Like I said in the end it's a gamble an owner takes setting their prices higher. Barneys might have lost that gamble with all the business they have lost.
TwoCanucks

Post by TwoCanucks »

Dirty Uncle Ron wrote: What I have discovered, as most in my situation, is that border towns typically have higher average prices, no surprise there, higher demand. The shops in Amsterdam however are the primary culprits with one-off-boutique strains as the one mentioned in this thread, along with the likes of Quaze @ E15.
As for blame, I place this on the consumer. If the customers don't buy it, the shops may have to lower the price or end up loosing it all in the end. We the consumer ultimately control the price through demand. So, do you still know who is to blame? I am willing to bet that the majority of regulars to the coffee shop scene rarely purchase these overpriced boutique strains, mainly because we know better. These are fly-by-night strains, IMO specifically aimed at tourists, mainly because they don't know any better. As a final note, most "local" shops use the same set of suppliers. Granted there are shops that grow their own, and in some cases they also supply other shops. This is rare.
Example: A supplier offers C/S's Amnesia. There are shops that will re-brand the strain to something like Fat Joe's Amnesia and charge E13.50/g. Another shop offering the same keeps the name, Amnesia, and charges E10/g. So, do you pay for Fat Joe's because it has a unique name or, because you know how some shop owners operate, go to the other shop?
This is the type of information that tourists typically don't know, and hopefully those that stumble into this website will use the search function and be forewarned. Also, one could do as the OP has done which is to start a thread and ask peoples opinion. When we give our opinion, the last thing we expect is to be flamed for it. Take some opinions with a grain of salt, but most are spot on, at least from the veteran smokers.

Peace.
Dirty Uncle Ron, you make some great points here. You are obviously very knowledgable about weed and the Netherlands industry.

I agree with you entirely on the "pot tourist" theory, but locals should also share some of the blame here.

There were a lot of locals in these "boutique" shops, as well as smoking the "boutique" strains.

There is a lot of blame to spread around, and the taxing of weed is surely a factor as well.

And it is not unreasonable to say, that without the "pot tourist" $$$$ coming in, there wouldn't be nearly as many coffeeshops still in business.

Peace.
Amsterdam dreaming.............
Five

Post by Five »

It's pretty universal that the big names usually cost the big money, it's a business they are there to make money not give you smoke at a economical price. While I don't agree with the practice it happens almost everywhere, it's a case of they have what you want and what are you willing to pay for it.
Boner

Post by Boner »

The growers set the price in Holland not the coffeeshops.
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
joeuk

Post by joeuk »

stuart1976 wrote:over the last 5 years barneys has gone up and up, i know some new strains have longer cycles and less bud per plant. but if we accept it and pay more everyone else will put prices up as well, last trip the average price per gram for top strains 12-14. you dont get charged that down de pijp area.
i agree with u there staurt but ive always found the barneys weed top notch i avent tried that dr grinspoon but goin of wht some people are sayin am not sure its worth 17 euro thats a lot of doe for 1 gram