First time visitor!

Planning a trip to the Netherlands? Post the details here.
edwardj

First time visitor!

Post by edwardj »

Hello...I am a 52 year old American who has been teaching English in China for two years and I am planning to be in Amsterdam from February 13th-22nd. I am going to be coming alone and am looking for someone or 'someones' who might like to help a noobie out! I've been in the Orient for over 4 years, but this is my first time visiting Europe...I am also considering a train trip to Frankfurt to visit some relatives, but I would really appreciate some company to experience Amsterdam. Even some advise would be nice. I am staying in a self-catering apartment so smoking and partying will be no problem!

Thanks!

Ed D

Ed
ZigZags'R'us

Post by ZigZags'R'us »

As long as your within walking distance to central there is plently of smoking and partying to be had, where are you staing as i am sure there will be plenty of people to tell you some of the good coffee shops that are near by to your hotel
Roll that shit, Light that shit, Smoke that shit
edwardj

Post by edwardj »

I am staying in an apartment on Rozengracht...honestly, I don't even know if that is near anything fun to do! HELP!!

Ed
Ed
FlyByNite

Re: First time visitor!

Post by FlyByNite »

edwardj wrote:I am planning to be in Amsterdam from February 13th-22nd.
Welcome to the forum.

You have been posted on the February Whos In Town page.

You can see who else may be in town during your stay.
Watch for Toke and Talks, I post them up to the last minute.

By default I link your posting to your profile page here on ACD.

https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/forum/profi ... le&u=43758

I can change it to a web link ( myspace, facebook, personal page )
or an email address if you want.

First timers get my S G Collins recommendation
I think a read of this will maximize your efficiency once you get there.

How not to get hit by a bike and other stuff they forgot to tell you about Amsterdam.

Enjoy
FlyByNite - Travel preference, not business practice

Coffeeshop Frog Hollow <--- Clicky
home of the Whos In Town and Coffeeshop Menus pages.
Dimon

Post by Dimon »

Hi Ed, everything gonna be allright, ever if you solo and dont know any cs,s you gonna meetpeople and make friends,Amsterdam is safe and cool place to hang.
Last edited by Dimon on Mon 8th Feb 2010 01:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
H
ZigZags'R'us

Post by ZigZags'R'us »

looks like your on a main road that was a couple of streets away from where i was staying.

If you put rozengracht into google it will bring up a map of amsterdam click on it and it will show you where you are and just match it up to ACD map to know where everything else is take a map with you it helped me no end.

Grey area about a 2 min walk for you

Big Bonus for you sire
Try the Grey Area crystal if you want to blow your head off about 30 euro a gram i think.
The chocolope is very nice .

Go onto Fly bye Nights web site which is highlighted in his post and will be able to see all the menus to any shop in amstedam
Roll that shit, Light that shit, Smoke that shit
StonedSince67

Re: First time visitor!

Post by StonedSince67 »

edwardj wrote:I've been in the Orient for over 4 years, but this is my first time visiting Europe
welcome to the forum

How not to get hit by a bike

this document may be found in the excellent S G Collins website recommended by FlyByNite for first-time visitors to amsterdam

imho reading this document is the very most important preparation you can do to ensure your own safety in amsterdam traffic, because being hit by a bicycle could ruin your day ...

if you have already read the document, then thanks, but if not, then please please read before you arrive, and thanks

have a great trip ...
gapie

Post by gapie »

i can accompany u i live here in the dam
GetHigh,DoStuff&Dont give a FUCK!
Panog

Post by Panog »

There's a toke & talk on february 19th at basjoe, 6pm, and it's also my 21st birthday !!! So feel free to come if you want
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

I am in town 17th-19th, staying not to far from you and our nearest CS is Paradox.
I am hitting up a few CSs so if you want to come along for a smoke it would be fine with me.
I am going solo and have been to the Dam a few times so know my way around most places without a map.

On a side note my missus cousin has just finished teaching English in China, well his contract ends the end of the month.
edwardj

Post by edwardj »

Thank you everyone who has offered to 'show me the ropes'! I wish I knew my phone number, but I'm not 100% sure of how to get my phone set up. It is a GSM Android phone, so I am hoping that I'll be able to pick up a low cost SIM card once I get there. If anyone has any further info on that, I'd also appreciate hearing about it.

By the way...is it really as cold in Amsterdam as I've heard? I am from Florida and where I am in China, it's only gotten down to around 55 degrees and right now (at 9pm) it is almost 72! Hopefully the smoke will warm me up!

Thanks for the reading advice as well...I am perusing everything that was sent my way!

Thanks again!
Ed
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Its cold, but the CS are normally pretty empty so getting warm is not a problem.
StonedSince67

Post by StonedSince67 »

edwardj wrote:...is it really as cold in Amsterdam as I've heard?
the cold in amsterdam is a damp cold and quite bitter at times

it is important to wear a number of layers with the top layer some kind of waterproof
badgerfist

Post by badgerfist »

StonedSince'67 wrote:
edwardj wrote:...is it really as cold in Amsterdam as I've heard?
the cold in amsterdam is a damp cold and quite bitter at times

it is important to wear a number of layers with the top layer some kind of waterproof
that is some fine advice, and well worth taking. invest in something warm and dry for both body and feet.
i'll be around from the 20th with some friends and your welcome to join up with us. should be meeting panog @ basjoe around 9pm on the 20th
if you got an android phone you should be able to get internet on it(3G and wireless) so you could use this site to stay in contact. dont know the cost but a Tmobile sim may be worth a go if your traveling around europe because they cover most places you'll likely go.

Inabit
weeded and liquored
edwardj

Post by edwardj »

Crap, China sucks! Now it looks like I won't be able to leave the country because of visa issues...damn!

Ed
Ed