So the Weed pass thing? and your thoughts?

General discussion about cannabis and coffeeshops.
Slip & Sal

So the Weed pass thing? and your thoughts?

Post by Slip & Sal »

Ok I know you've probably all had enough of this and wish it would go away, but I don't think it is going too. This thread is to explore all the aspects on the Weed pass and your thoughts about it.

These are some of mine.

Making a weedpass probably won't stop German, French, and Belgium tourists driving across the boarder to get weed. They will just by it off their Dutch dealer like they did before.

Any Tourists that travel by Plane, should be still allowed to smoke in coffeeshops, because most are not stupid enough to smuggle it back on a plane. I think. Especially Australians :lol: :lol: :lol:

Weedsmokers generally don't cause trouble. I also think that they cause less trouble than Drunks. Nederlands wants to ban tourists smoking weed in coffeeshops, to stop the trouble makers from visiting. They do not want to ban tourists from Bars, taverns, cafe or any where else that serves Alcohol in Holland. More drinkers will come, this will lead to more trouble, as one pissed nit will cause some havok, one thousand pissed nits (Aussie expression for Drunk Wanker) will cause anarchy and lots of trouble. This will actually encourage "proper drunks" who hate those quiet little stoner bastards. Pardon the language all you sensitive types.

I have also heard nothing about tourists being banned from taken truffles. I think truffles are far more dangerous, to your health and to the public. I also think that on Hallucinogens, you are more likely to accidentally (Bad Trip :evil: :?: :twisted: or didn't know what you were doing and walked in front of a tram :lol: :shock: ) or willfully(you think you've become Muhammad Ali :twisted: :!: :twisted: ) cause trouble.

I am not condemning Alcohol or Hallucinogenics. Just think it's strange these have not been mentioned, even in the fight against the weed pass.

I think that it will ruin Amsterdam's and possibly Holland's Tourist industry. One you won't be able to smoke there anymore. :cry: (most of us) Two the world won't see the Dutch as a tolerant bunch anymore. This will then reflect on how people interact, with the Dutch and the respect they show for them. Why do the Dutch want to cause themselves so much trouble at the start of the possible Euro meltdown? in a global financial crisis?

Are they going to ban tourists from buying seeds? There are many of these shops in Amsterdam. Won't the German, French and Belgiums still come to get good genetics to grow weed, effectively not stopping them, but lessening their visits. Maybe they will come just as often to buy there seeds.

The obvious one tourists will buy from the street. A lot of people, do this in their home countries or whilst on holidays, whether it's legal or not. What makes the Dutch government think that this will stop people from smoking weed? It won't, it doesn't everywhere else. The Dutch can't pull the tolerant understanding thing, once this goes down, you will be labelling all tourists as trouble makers when under the influence of Marijuana, and not as capable or refined as the Dutch people, because you can't handle or be responsible enough to smoke weed.

My questions now???

Will the law change so if a tourist is caught carrying 5 grams of weed, he will then be in more trouble than a Dutch national would be? Or will the law stay the same, just as a tourist, I won't be able to go to the coffeeshops? If it is the last, T&T at Nes from now on, you bring the weed? :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

If I come to Amsterdam now, will members of this forum, show me the same gratitude as I would show them if they visited my native country where it is not legal, and get me some weed??? :wink: 8)

Does this mean they could be making it more legal in Holland for Dutch people?

It seems a strange move as more and more countries actually move more towards tolerance of Marijuana , to see Holland start to reject this policy. I was thinking that maybe this is there way of making more money. They get the registration money, guaranteed every year, if ya wanna smoke. They then in turn plan to lower the quality of your weed to below 15 %. This will only make you smoke more to get the same high as you received before. Making you spend more money on weed. Do you think this is a scam to make more money?

or is it a scam to drum up more business through a doldrum(bad period)? Everyone that ever truly wanted to visit Amsterdam and must specifically for weed smoking will do so this year, in fear of never ever being able to again. Do you think maybe when it gets close again they'll just say, Oh sorry that isn't happening anymore, no need to worry. Maybe they'll just say it'll happen next year again.

What are your thoughts? How do you feel?

I think Australians should ban the Dutch from beaches and beer if they go ahead with this? :mrgreen: is there a jest button?

I don't take drugs, I am Drugs.
Marco

Re: So the Weed pass thing? and your thoughts?

Post by Marco »

First of all the Dutch are some of the biggest drinkers I have ever seen, so I don't think they care about bars as its PART OF THEIR CULTURE!

I have said it many times, but parts of this country are extremely conservative. There is a bible belt, a political party that believes the bible literally (they won't allow women in the party) with actual political power. A large part of the country does not like the Dutch image as a haven for drugs and hookers. You don't have to agree with their view, but I think it needs to be respected, its their country after all. And these people don't want CS to stay open.

Add to that, the pressure from the EU to normalize drug laws, and there you have it.

For the rest of your questions, no law has been passed so its pure speculation.
Slip & Sal

Post by Slip & Sal »

I do respect this totally. I don't see Holland as a place for drugs and hookers. It is an added bonus. If a majority of Dutch people don't want the coffeeshops, that's fine and I think it should already be a done deal. This is not the case though is it? even the Mayor of Amsterdam, is against it. My 50 year old dutch friend that does not smoke is against it.

If they were to follow the bible literally then they would allow weed to be eaten by all men, because of that famous verse, well used by weed lobbyists everywhere "29Kijk om je heen! Overal op aarde staan zaaddragende planten en vruchtbomen, die Ik jullie tot voedsel geef." or " 29 Look around you! Everywhere on earth seed-bearing plants and fruit trees, which I give you as food." Genesis 1 :29. They shouldn't stop it if they follow the bible literally. I believe in God myself, so I'm not christian hunting. Maybe they can let us tourists eat it then?
joossy

Post by joossy »

I think you are over hyping the situation.

The reality is they just want to stop german/belgium/france people jumping over the border to buy marijuana then take it back to their respective countries, places like Amsterdam not near borders will never stop tourists buying marijuana.

You have nothing to worry about!
Slip & Sal

Post by Slip & Sal »

I think you are under-hyping the situation. They have said that Amsterdam will do it if they like it or not, as of 2013.
joossy

Post by joossy »

"they have said"

The internet is full of mis information, the weedpass is to stop smuggling into bordering countries, from the dutch point of view there is no problem with allowing tourists to smoke in dam, in fact its encouraged! Its the smuggling they need to do something about, which has nothing to do with tourists!
medal

Post by medal »

the dutch people dont want coffeeshops to be closed the only ones willing to do that are the old foks or the believers, thats all ( mm also lot of people that are not form de randstad (some of them think you may be killed by walking on the street in amsterdam ))
treetop

Post by treetop »

It is not complicated. There is a right wing Christian government in Holland right now and they are trying to implement socially conservative policies. Whatever excuse they use is of no interest. If it wasn't one thing it would be another.
Whether they will get as far as introducing a weedpass in Amsterdam we can only speculate. How solid is their political footing? How comprehensive is their mandate?
How much did you produce?
Slip & Sal

Post by Slip & Sal »

they are the media, dutch residents and coffeeshop bud tender, whom I spoke with in Amsterdam while I was there in November.
xxbkrawkxx

Post by xxbkrawkxx »

probably isnt gonna happen .

Maastricht is being flooded in dealers.
And the governement noticed it
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

this is just another step in the great experiment that is the netherlands... hopefully they will look at the results and see that it wont work in the capital. we all need to make abit of noise about this and it looks like 4/20 is the way to go about it. if i wasn't so broke from the cannabis cup and loosing my job i would be right beside you all. unfortunately....
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
Bilbo Baggins

Post by Bilbo Baggins »

Thanks for writing up such a interesting few points. I have been reading up on this weed pass business and actually agree with Slip N Sal that there is more to worry about than first meets the eye. I Believe the reason that so much disinformation is out there is that the Dutch government do not want to publicise the fact that it IS going to happen. This would result in a massive cancellation of summer tourist bookings and maybe this new law will only hit home once the first ACDer gets asked for his pass at Voyagers.

Personally I also believe that although the law WILL be brought in it will possibly be not enforced. The law already bans smoking of tobacco in Coffeeshops, but whether this is enforced seems to be at the whim of the manager. Such will be the Weed Pass.

Plus the Dutch people despite their varied attitudes towards tourists are not stupid, they will see the intrinsic fault behind this whole proposal soon enough and vote with their feet at the ballot box, I come from Scotland, a land famed for making Whisky and known for its welcoming attitude towards non Scots, how stupid would it be if the Scottish Parliament introduced a law to stop non Scots drinking in pubs. The arguments against this and its unfairness have already been pointed out by Slip N Sal above.

They may try this but it will never work.
Dam Square/Damraak Webcam Live http://hdtv.webcam.nl/website/page1/pag ... creen.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Smokey McPot

Post by Smokey McPot »

I was talking about this while over a couple weeks ago and I heard from the mouths of 3 locals and a Coffeeshop owner that if we can't put a stop to it in their supreme court the wietpass WILL come into effect in Amsterdam on 20th February 2013

Also the economic hit that Maastricht has Taken in the 3 months they have had the pass is collissal ie millions in lost sales

Personally I'm hoping it doesn't happen but with the combination of the right wing conservative government and pressure from the EU, I think it will :(
If carlsburg made weed it would be northern lights 5x
Dark_Wing

Post by Dark_Wing »

Great questions/issues!

Here's a brief news bulletin put out by the Holland Tourism Board about a month ago. There's a brief discussion of tourism data along with the closing declaration....

"If the card is introduced, NBTC will monitor its impact in association with relevant stakeholders. NBTC would greatly regret introduction of the card resulting in fewer tourists visiting the Netherlands."

http://www.holland.com/us/Press/Press-r ... rlands.htm

Two points to make here concerning the data provided.

One of the most important data points for tourism is hotel room bookings. Each traveler is multiplied by their hotel stay length in days. Losing 150,000 tourists that claimed coffee shops were the most important activity for them may seem small until you examine what their length of stay in days means for hotels. If each of this 150,000 would have stayed 7 days in ADAM you would see a loss of over 1 million booked hotel room nights. That's especially important if there's no replacement of those lost tourists.

The other factor that's important to consider is the distinction between those that visited a coffee shop and the smaller group that reported going to a coffee shop being the most important activity. Basically, people don't make decisions about travel by weighting all attractions equally. Not having access to coffee shops could potentially reduce the pool of people that indicated that coffee shops made up just one part of their trip. I like art and prostitutes just like any other guy, but having access to marijuana really seals the deal over somewhere closer to home that's got plenty of art and prostitutes but no recreational MJ sales.

I just don't see how the big tourist area in Amsterdam would swallow a financial hit like this.
Tranquilised

Post by Tranquilised »

Smokey McPot wrote:if we can't put a stop to it in their supreme court the wietpass WILL come into effect in Amsterdam on 20th February 2013
Why Feb 20th?

Leaves room for a last cheap January trip!