It's Looking Good For Us Now... The Tide Is Turning!!!

General discussion about cannabis and coffeeshops.
dconstrukt

It's Looking Good For Us Now... The Tide Is Turning!!!

Post by dconstrukt »

THIS is what i'm talking about. Looking forward to april 2013 and lighting a spliff in AMS!!

in FORBES magazine Oct 12, 2012

Weed for All, Again? Dutch Politicians Say Maybe

For a while there, it seemed as if the Dutch government was speeding to the total abolition of its permissive policies towards the buying, selling and smoking of marijuana in its infamous, 650+ coffeeshops.

Example of a Dutch Weed pass facing extinction

Despite considerable opposition, the central conservative government had managed to pass a law taking effect in January 2012 banning foreigners from transactions in the coffeeshops in the southern provinces of Zeeland, Brabant, and Limburg and intended to roll through the rest of the country by the start of 2013. Pot-buying locals were to apply for a special “weed pass” that would allow them to purchase and light up.

Why mess with things as they were? To put an end to the country’s renowned “drug tourism” and its ugly side effects, particularly traffic congestion, noise and crime.

Very nice, but it also would mean an end to more than €400 million in annual taxes paid by the coffeshops.

So since the right-wing government collapsed and called early elections last month, what to do about the cannabis trade has become a political hot potato among the parties trying to form a coalition government. Two important figures in the Dutch political scene – mayors of the two biggest cities, Amsterdam and Rotterdam, and both senior members of the Labour party currently in talks with the Liberals to form a new government – are vocal critics of the anti-weed measures. Warning that the weed-pass system risks undoing decades of investment and planning, they’re insisting on a total recall.

Prime Minister Mark Rutte is also fielding pressure from inside his own party as politicians in the three weed-pass provinces complain that the ban has sent drug-dealing back to the streets, where it’s unregulated and overwhelming police who lack the resources to enforce the prohibition.

An Amsterdam Coffeeshop

True, the number of cannabis tourists to the country’s southern coffeeshops has declined. At the same time, though, as street dealers emerge, so have “cannabis cabs” and drug runners who do home deliveries. Several studies show that the previous distinction between the sale of cannabis and hard drugs is disappearing. So, too, the age limits that were strictly enforced in the coffeeshops on penalty of closure.

For almost three decades, the Netherlands has been a global pioneer in cannabis policy reform, evolving from ‘zero tolerance’ to de facto legalization through the coffeeshop network. The system, however, suffers from serious holes. The “back door” problem is one such Catch-22. While coffeshops can sell minor amounts of marijuana legally, the law bars them from actually buying their supplies from providers. A coffeeshop owner described the situation to a local newspaper: “Every day, I’m obliged to commit crimes because I have to stock up illegally. But at the same time I pay taxes on the sales.”

The left and centre-left parties favor new regulations of the supply of cannabis to the coffeeshops, arguing the resulting taxes would bring the treasury €500 million – €300 million in taxes and €200 million in savings to the police and criminal justice system.

Polls indicate that the ‘cannabis pass’ has little support among the Dutch, with 60% favoring its abolition. Also, few are willing to apply for the pass for fear of ending up in the government’s files. The mayor of Maastricht, the capital of the southern region and one of the strongest advocates of the coffeeshop ban recently was forced to backpedal, announcing an end to the weed pass.

So take heart, weed-loving tourists around the world. The Dutch government that was about to extinguish your flame may soon be ready to light it up again.

Willjay

Re: It's Looking Good For Us Now... The Tide Is Turning!!!

Post by Willjay »

when the People lead the leaders will follow, see you all in the spring :mrgreen:
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

Well I fervently hope the Netherlands continues to lead and also brings the supply side out of the shadows.

I think in UK we have reached the OK to have a small private grow, possibly. Which is probably where the Dutch began, I know it was local small growers for local coffeeshops at the start.
What a long strange trip it is.
treetop

Post by treetop »

Looking good. Maybe it is time to book my 420 trip soon! :mrgreen:
How much did you produce?
TwoCanucks

Post by TwoCanucks »

Knock on wood, sounds positive.
Amsterdam dreaming.............
Dave J

Post by Dave J »

Maybe, just maybe I will book Amsterdam for next year after all this. But don't want to commit to a full few days just in case it all goes tits up again.
notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie »

Weed for All, Again? Dutch Politicians Say Maybe

For a while there, it seemed as if the Dutch government was speeding to the total abolition of its permissive policies towards the buying, selling and smoking of marijuana in its infamous, 650+ coffeeshops.

Example of a Dutch Weed pass facing extinction

Despite considerable opposition, the central conservative government had managed to pass a law taking effect in January 2012 banning foreigners from transactions in the coffeeshops in the southern provinces of Zeeland, Brabant, and Limburg and intended to roll through the rest of the country by the start of 2013. Pot-buying locals were to apply for a special “weed pass” that would allow them to purchase and light up.

Why mess with things as they were? To put an end to the country’s renowned “drug tourism” and its ugly side effects, particularly traffic congestion, noise and crime.

Very nice, but it also would mean an end to more than €400 million in annual taxes paid by the coffeshops.

So since the right-wing government collapsed and called early elections last month, what to do about the cannabis trade has become a political hot potato among the parties trying to form a coalition government. Two important figures in the Dutch political scene – mayors of the two biggest cities, Amsterdam and Rotterdam, and both senior members of the Labour party currently in talks with the Liberals to form a new government – are vocal critics of the anti-weed measures. Warning that the weed-pass system risks undoing decades of investment and planning, they’re insisting on a total recall.

Prime Minister Mark Rutte is also fielding pressure from inside his own party as politicians in the three weed-pass provinces complain that the ban has sent drug-dealing back to the streets, where it’s unregulated and overwhelming police who lack the resources to enforce the prohibition.

An Amsterdam Coffeeshop

True, the number of cannabis tourists to the country’s southern coffeeshops has declined. At the same time, though, as street dealers emerge, so have “cannabis cabs” and drug runners who do home deliveries. Several studies show that the previous distinction between the sale of cannabis and hard drugs is disappearing. So, too, the age limits that were strictly enforced in the coffeeshops on penalty of closure.

For almost three decades, the Netherlands has been a global pioneer in cannabis policy reform, evolving from ‘zero tolerance’ to de facto legalization through the coffeeshop network. The system, however, suffers from serious holes. The “back door” problem is one such Catch-22. While coffeshops can sell minor amounts of marijuana legally, the law bars them from actually buying their supplies from providers. A coffeeshop owner described the situation to a local newspaper: “Every day, I’m obliged to commit crimes because I have to stock up illegally. But at the same time I pay taxes on the sales.”

The left and centre-left parties favor new regulations of the supply of cannabis to the coffeeshops, arguing the resulting taxes would bring the treasury €500 million – €300 million in taxes and €200 million in savings to the police and criminal justice system.

Polls indicate that the ‘cannabis pass’ has little support among the Dutch, with 60% favoring its abolition. Also, few are willing to apply for the pass for fear of ending up in the government’s files. The mayor of Maastricht, the capital of the southern region and one of the strongest advocates of the coffeeshop ban recently was forced to backpedal, announcing an end to the weed pass.

So take heart, weed-loving tourists around the world. The Dutch government that was about to extinguish your flame may soon be ready to light it up again.

forbes
BigDanHaze

Post by BigDanHaze »

I hope this is true...if so Ill be there again in March 2013 again for my B-day!!
Cudi_420

Post by Cudi_420 »

I'm going to remain skeptical. Forbes is of course pro-business, so I am not surprised that this piece is rather optimistic for the industry going forward.

I spoke with someone (not sure who) from the Bulldog FB page that said that it was very unlikely that shops in Amsterdam would need to use the wietpas system.

It seems the major coffeeshops seem confident going forward, but smaller ones don't. Is it that we're going to see a more restricted, tighter coffeeshop industry? Perhaps tight licensing, and expensive licensing (if that wasn't already the case)?
Old School Smoker

Post by Old School Smoker »

Post removed... Posted in error, sorry

Peace,
Old school
Dave J

Post by Dave J »

Cudi_420 wrote:
It seems the major coffeeshops seem confident going forward, but smaller ones don't. Is it that we're going to see a more restricted, tighter coffeeshop industry? Perhaps tight licensing, and expensive licensing (if that wasn't already the case)?
I am thinking along the same lines and worse, more so with that Haarlem seems to have come up with it's own tighter scheme of regulation that it looks set to self regulate from the start of next year.

My fear is that all, most or some will use this as an excuse to up there prices in the coffeeshops if still able to sell to the tourist in the new year. It could be a case of the coffeeshops blaming the dealers and the dealers blaming the growers along with any new licence and regulation rules and combination of to justify any possable future price increase in the new year. If that does happen I'm still out as for as good as a number of coffeeshops are, €13-14 for a single gram of haze or kush weed no matter how good it is, is just about as much as I feel many are willing to pay. If that cheap average quality €8-10 gear goes up by say €2 per gram to €10-12 and the decent €14 gear goes up by the same to say €16 per gram each place citing the new regulations at any point along the chain then that would be rediculous and would be nothing more than greed seeing as I cant see anyone really being able to justify some of the current weed prices let alone any possable future rises if it does happen under the name of new tighter expensive regulations etc.

I'm not saying it will happen with reguards to if still alowed to sell to tourists in the new year under "tighter new expensive regulations" etc. But I cant be the only person left feeling thats the exact excuse some places will use and will up there prices and blame the new rules as from the owners point of view a perfect chance to up prices blaming everyone along the chain bar there own greed for wanting more money.

But fingers crossed they wont of cause.
Colino

Post by Colino »

Nol wrote on facebook that Dutch citizens do not more have to apply for the wietpas. foreigners still banned though but he also added that there will not be wietpass in haarlem and they'll put hallmark, so tourist can go to the coffeeshops
youngian

Post by youngian »

The latest proposed compromise would still ban foreigners and therefore does not solve any of the problems with street dealing which have so riled the police and some Mayors.
Joshuadrooney

Post by Joshuadrooney »

In what way is any of that "looking good"? We're still gonna be banned, with or without a pass.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them