Cannabis and Sleep: 10 Things to Know About Your Herbal Nightcap

Cannabis sans frontieres.
KeyMonCha

Re: Cannabis and Sleep: 10 Things to Know About Your Herbal Nightcap

Post by KeyMonCha »

notsofasteddie wrote: 9. Discontinuing Long-Term Use May Worsen Sleep

If you’ve ever quit or taken a tolerance break after long-term cannabis use, you’re probably familiar with this phenomenon. You might find yourself tossing and turning, waking up frequently, or feeling groggy the next day. A 2008 sleep study found that discontinuing long-term use led to shorter sleep time, less slow wave sleep, worse sleep efficiency, longer sleep onset, shorter REM cycles, and more sleep disruption in abstaining subjects than the drug-free control group. However, researchers acknowledge these findings are limited by a small sample size and the inability to determine causation. In other words, it’s possible the study subjects had used cannabis to treat pre-existing insomnia and ceasing use caused a resurgence of sleepless symptoms.

Ah, well that explains the whole of 2015 for me... Started as a teen to help my insomnia and never took a real break until last year... Enter 36 hour days and lying wide awake at nights trying to resist the urge to call a mate for a spliff... Still the same now, except i will allow myself a couple joints at weekend to reorder my sleeping patterns...

...Quite an obvious little article for a long time smoking insomniac, but interesting non-the-less...

Cheers NSFE!