15 Dutch foods to try in Amsterdam

Restaurants and takeaways.
Waldo Swan

Re: 15 Dutch foods to try in Amsterdam

Post by Waldo Swan »

Hey thanks for posting this! For far too long I've ignored the local, unique culinary delights on offer in the dam. This time I plan to spend less time shoving pizza slices down my throat when I get the munchies and more time trying the local fare. :D

I come in peace. Take me to your pizza!
skunkmama

Post by skunkmama »

Yeah this is really cool! lots of good ideas on what to look out for. BTW my first experience with "drop" was with a pal here who had some. His parents are from Rotterdam and they brought some back for him from a trip they took. Super salty, sour even. Proceed with caution for sure
Bikes & Bud. Dogs & Dank. Nachos & Nugs.
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

skunkmama wrote: Thu 10th Aug 2017 10:04 pmmy first experience with "drop" was with a pal here who had some. His parents are from Rotterdam and they brought some back for him from a trip they took. Super salty, sour even. Proceed with caution for sure
I'm hooked on them. But it's wrong to imply that Dutch liquorice is always salty; most isn't, and even some of the salted versions are mild. If anyone's come across anything compararable to Sallos Extreme, I'd like to hear about it.
MinnBobber

Post by MinnBobber »

Tompouce??
They just showed the frosted top but said it is cream filled. Anyone have pics of the cream and the pastry as that's the most important part?
Is it a yellow cream custardy filling or ??
Is the pastry like an eclair or super thin layers or what??

do most bakeries have these?
thanks
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

I've never noticed them. I think the writer was getting desperate as a consequence of their overambition.

There's something I've never understood about Dutch cheese. Outside the Netherlands, it's invariably cheap and cheerful mild Gouda and Edam, without much of anything approaching taste. But there's far better cheese available in the country. Why don't they export it? I can't believe it wouldn't be profitable; other countries export their speciality cheeses, often at silly prices, and people buy them.
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

Good point FOD, that is a bit strange...

We have seen a few aged Goudas and an Old Amsterdam in various cheese shops here, but they are quite rare considering how good they are!

CC
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
DonMarciano

Post by DonMarciano »

MinnBobber wrote: Fri 11th Aug 2017 12:32 am Tompouce??
They just showed the frosted top but said it is cream filled. Anyone have pics of the cream and the pastry as that's the most important part?
Is it a yellow cream custardy filling or ??
Is the pastry like an eclair or super thin layers or what??

do most bakeries have these?
thanks
Tom Pouce is like a Mille Feuille, 2 puff pastry rectangles traditionally filled with creme patissiere and topped with icing