ACD Forum's 4/20 Gathering 2018

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
Lemming
Site Admin

Re: ACD Forum's 4/20 Gathering 2018

Post by Lemming »

Day 4 - Wednesday 18th April 2018 - Chilling in the Garden

I wake up to find another stunning day going on. It seems even warmer and sunnier than yesterday!

Our first scheduled meet of the day is at Mr K & Co but I'm up fairly early so I decide to stop in on Utopia along the way to see Ingi. She's on the 9 to 5 shift from Monday to Thursday this week. It'll be good to catch up with her because the T&Ts we've got lined up there over the next couple of days are outside of those times.

Sitting outside Utopia in the sunshine I find The Copenhagen Couple and Drugsbunny. Excellent! I chat to Ingi for a while and then the CCs, Db and me move to Mr K.

In Mr K we occupy the top floor smoking room. This makes us a bit hard to spot so I persuade someone to post our precise location. I also post myself at the top of the stairs watching the door and the street outside.

Image Mr K & Co

Trotting up and down the stairs every few minutes, I drag in a few stray cats until there's a nice little gathering of us. Around the table, the sunshine is prompting thoughts of Sound Garden, just round the corner.

The Mackys are in the house but they have their own agenda for the rest of the day, building up to the Birthday Bash this evening. The CCs are also planning their own mission out east but intending to catch up with us in Sound Garden later. The rest of us decide that a stop at Funky Munkey is in order on the way to Sound Garden.

Image Image
Back of Funky Munkey from outside and in

Image Funky Munkey

Funky Chess

Big chess with missing pieces at Funky Munkey

This chess set reminds me of an experience many years ago. Soon after I launched the ACD (long before the forum) an Amsterdam resident called Wybrand (sp?) emailed me an invitation to meet up in Grey Area. I was travelling with my then regular chess opponent and we found a set while waiting in GA. Some of the pieces were missing so we balanced up the sides and attempted to play whilst getting very stoned. This soon descended into hysterics and by the time Wybrand arrived I could barely see, let alone talk!

Meanwhile, back in the present, Smirks has a bong going ...

Funky Bong

After another good session, we move across the road to Sound Garden.

The cat emerges from its basket, yawns and strolls back in again. I admire the cool pictures on the walls.

It's lovely in the sunshine outside Sound Garden. This seems to be becoming a tradition, spending an afternoon chilling here in the April sun. The weather gods are smiling on us again.

In time we're joined by much of the crew. I note the CCs, Smirks, Bunny, Nugs, Kushola, JB, 2stick, OHMF, maybe others. The best glassware is out.

There's a constant stream of boats passing. Even the mayor cruises past!

Image 'Burgemeester'

A chilled Lemming

Eventually we all go our separate ways for a while in search of fodder.

In the evening we re-unite in Batavia for Macky's Birthday Bash.

I've got no photos of this session and I don't remember a thing about it. From this I conclude that I must've been there and it must've been amazing!

And so another wonderful day ends in a stony haze.

Haarlem and boat tomorrow.

Smirks

Post by Smirks »

Love it Lem, keep it coming!

In other news, I’m on a situationally enforced period of no cannabis consumption...long story and I’m not gonna go into specific details now, but it’s not to do with lack of supply or interference by officers of the law, it’s to support a family member in their efforts to kick addiction to far worse substances. Probably means there will be no partaking by me for several months, but I hope to still make it to the next 420 gathering and sneak in a Barca trip sometime early next year.
MinnBobber

Post by MinnBobber »

Lemming posted: "Haarlem and boat tomorrow."

Can't wait!!! I love Haarlem. Was the boat the small 10/12 passenger guy?
We stayed in Haarlem in May and that canal tour was awesome.
Awaiting your report and pics....
courtjester

Post by courtjester »

Bravo, bravo.
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Love it Lemming, and you take such beautiful pictures.
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

I've got a nice pic of Macky on the Smoke Boat and he's just given consent for it to appear on here, so there's something to look forward to :D

Next episode soon ...
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Day 5 - Thursday 19th April 2018 - Cruising

I wake up to find yet another gorgeous day. Only trouble is, I'm late! Macky's party last night has rendered me unconscious until lunch time!

We're supposed to be meeting up in Voyagers before catching a train to Haarlem but it's already too late for that so I'm going to have to hope I can catch up with everyone in Haarlem. It's only a short walk from my apartment to Amsterdam Centraal and a train gets me into Haarlem in no time.

Haarlem railway station

The gang should be in Willie Wortel's Indica. I don't have a map with me so I just turn left out of the station and head towards the river. I know that, if I can find the river, I can just follow that to Indica.

There's also a big landmark along the way.

Molen De Adriaan

Indica is on the right of this pic, just past the bright orange sign.

Inside Indica looking back at the Adriaan windmill

Indica

There's lots of Forum members camped up in Amsterdam today and most of us are now gathered over here in Haarlem. I think I spot Colina, CopenhagenCouple, DeLekkersteNUGS16, Drugsbunny, JayBee420, Kermit, Kushola, Madmaxxx, OneHighMofo, Pierre von Mondragon and Smirks.

Maxxx is our Master of Ceremonies for this session and Willie Wortel owner Nol is in the Indica with us. Now we're cooking!

Image___Image
Willie Wortel's Indica is well equipped :D

It's even got a model railway set up above our heads.

ImageImage

Nol says he'll get the train running later.

Nol, king of Hemp City Haarlem, demonstrates one of his rosin presses for us

Once Nol has done a pressing, Maxx takes over and soon has mass production going like clockwork.

Press leak

In time OHMF gets the bigger press, with the red lever, operating too. Meanwhile we've also found a Volcano and a bong. We're settling in for another serious session.

Somehow we never do get around to playing with the trainset. We must be distracted somehow. Can't imagine how that happened :D

Eventually a suggestion of Sinsemilla's roof garden begins to circulate. It is a lovely day after all.

We all march happily across town. I'm not sure who's navigating but they seem to be doing a good job. I'm quite happy to be one of the herded cats as I float along.

Willie Wortel's Sinsemilla menu

Willie Wortel's Sinsemilla roof terrace

Another session in the sunshine and then it's all back to the station to catch a train to Amsterdam. It's been an amazing day already and we haven't finished yet!

The party splits up between Utopia and Batavia for a while but soon reunites by the boat parked up beside Feels Good coffeeshop.

The guy eating on the back of the boat is crew but you might also notice a few other punters inside. Apparently they're unaware that this is a private cruise for ACD Forum members only. Macky is about to evict them!

Also note the sign mounted in a beer crate on the roof of the boat. More on that later.

Once the randoms have been chucked overboard, the ACD gang occupy the boat and begin spreading all of the kit over the tables.

I think I see 2stick, Choppermike, Colina, Kermit, the CopenhagenCouple, DeLekkersteNUGS16, Drugsbunny, Ed the Head, Gapie, Ingi Blingi, Kushola, the Mackys, Madmaxxx, OneHighMofo, Pierre von Mondragon and Smirks, but there are more.

Captain Macky confirms that everyone is aboard and we set off. We don't get far before the first drama, though.

As we pass under the first bridge there's an almighty crash. That sign is no longer on the roof. Maxx is nearly decapitated before it lands on his foot. Fortunately he's feeling no pain :D

Captain Macky

The original plan was to head for Utopia after the boat trip but Ingi is with us and leads us to her 'local', Susies Saloon. We have a great party at Susies before ending the evening at Batavia as usual.

4/20 Day tomorrow!
ed the head
Location: New Amsterdam of my mind and of my making. Trips:3, Haj:14

Post by ed the head »

Great memories of that boat trip and the evening after

Well, a BIT patchy!

:wtf:
He who tries to shine dims his own light
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Great trip report, pics are outstanding, still pissing myself laughing at the Macky boat eviction, brutal and to the point. 😂
HashMan

Post by HashMan »

Awesome report lemming love the pictures to sounds like a brilliant time was had.
ed the head
Location: New Amsterdam of my mind and of my making. Trips:3, Haj:14

Post by ed the head »

We had miraculous weather :D Praise Jah :mrgreen: :D
He who tries to shine dims his own light
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

A bit of catching up ...
Smokeybee21 wrote: Mon 14th May 2018 12:57 pm Excited for the rest of this one, big up Lemming and all he does for us Mokum-heads. :twisted: Thanks mate.
Thank you
Junglist Movement wrote: Mon 14th May 2018 01:02 pm Jesus that apartment looks the nuts!! Great fooking start!!
It was nice and convenient
RoMoney wrote: Tue 22nd May 2018 01:36 pm Beautiful pictures, I really like the Artists At Work one in particular.
Yep, worth a trip on that free ferry
talkrum wrote: Thu 24th May 2018 11:58 am Great reporting and pictures. Thanks Lem.
Glad you like it
LLMReb wrote: Thu 24th May 2018 11:19 pm Excellent reporting and well written, as usual, Lemming! Thanks!
Thanks
OneHighMofo wrote: Wed 30th May 2018 02:26 pm Love seeing the different perspectives it makes for great reading.
That pic of Ganesh growing out of your head while the Verdampers light up your eyes is awesome 8)
Yeah, if you read all of the accounts you might get some idea of what happened. Then again ... :D
courtjester wrote: Sat 22nd Sep 2018 07:33 pm I've been watching for quite some time so I don't miss the rest of this. ...
Sorry it's taking so long!
Jaochoo wrote: Mon 24th Sep 2018 09:13 pm The pic with Ganesh was blessed!
Ganesh is cool
woodz60 wrote: Sat 29th Sep 2018 06:55 pm Your trip reports always have my (short-spanned) attention, Lemming. I love the photos, especially of the apartment with the luxurious, non-ladderish stairs. The shot of you with Ganesh behind your head is really cool. More trip details soon, okay?
Soon!
Smokeybee21 wrote: Mon 8th Oct 2018 01:46 pm Thanks Lemming!

Was interested to read about your jaunt out to the Baarsjes, the mrs wants to go to the cat café when we're out in a fortnight, so I'm using this as an excuse to get to some of the coffeeshops in this area.
Yeah, Baarsjes was interesting
Ghost wrote: Tue 9th Oct 2018 05:26 pm Sounds like a really cool 420 trip with good people and good vibes all around. Your travel reports and pics on the 420 trips over the years are always a excellent read, that I really enjoy.

Hoping to make the 2019 420 so would be cool to meet up with you and everyone else for a epic smoke out. :D
See you next year then
courtjester wrote: Wed 17th Oct 2018 05:21 pm Another fine report with great ideas for future coffeeshops I've never managed to visit. Excellent use of internal links too. It leaves me baited for 4/18 and beyond.
Good
Smirks wrote: Wed 24th Oct 2018 07:41 pm Love it Lem, keep it coming!
Thanks for the encouragement
MinnBobber wrote: Thu 25th Oct 2018 02:03 am Lemming posted: "Haarlem and boat tomorrow." Can't wait!
Hope it didn't disappoint
courtjester wrote: Sat 10th Nov 2018 10:51 pm Bravo, bravo.
Thanks
RoMoney wrote: Sun 11th Nov 2018 10:08 am Love it Lemming, and you take such beautiful pictures.
Thanks
ed the head wrote: Wed 28th Nov 2018 01:18 pm Great memories of that boat trip and the evening after
'twas good
Kermit wrote: Wed 28th Nov 2018 11:42 pm Great trip report, pics are outstanding, still pissing myself laughing at the Macky boat eviction, brutal and to the point.
:D
HashMan wrote: Fri 30th Nov 2018 01:01 am Awesome report lemming love the pictures to sounds like a brilliant time was had.
Thanks, it was indeed brilliant
ed the head wrote: Fri 30th Nov 2018 01:40 am We had miraculous weather :D Praise Jah :mrgreen: :D
We did. Amazing how we've managed to do that most years

@Macky - thanks for permission to post your pic

4/20 Day soon ...
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Day 6 - Friday 20th April 2018 - 4/20 Day

4/20 Day and, yes, the sun is shining yet again. Perfect!

My first port of call for the today is Utopia.

(I've got loads of pics like this one but this will be the last one before the rebranding as The Plug)

Most of the ACD crew appear to be here but I hear that a few more have gone on an expedition out east to The Stud and will be joining us later.

Drugsbunny tells me that he's already made a morning visit to the 420 Cafe and found it bursting at the seams. This news is circulating fast and everyone is speculating that this crowd is by way of a queue for 4.20 this afternoon. Proposals of moving our 4/20 celebration to Batavia are being put forward.

I'm a bit shocked by this panic reaction and keen not to give up on the 420 tradition. I point out to anyone listening that it's only noon now and people don't usually stay in the same coffeeshop for hours on end. I say that there will probably be several complete turnovers of the people in there over the next few hours.

[In retrospect I should also have mentioned that the bar next door to 420 is also part of the tradition, for the benefit of anyone thinking about beer.]

Leaving the debate unresolved, RoMoney, Db and me head off on an expedition down Haarlemmerstraat.

Still Pink Floyd to this old timer, Damkring 2 is now Coffeeshop Amsterdam, a ridiculously generic name! Inside is quite bland too but we have Kushola entertaining us on the forum.

Like when he first joined us, Kushola is apparently very close by but not finding us. I check around the shop and outside but can't find him. Hopefully he'll catch up with everyone soon.

After chilling for a while we stroll over to 420 Cafe.

On entering we're very pleasantly surprised - it's not too crowded. Hooray! There's hope yet. We begin to stake a claim on the large table at the back. We've found Kushola too. Messages go out on the Forum attempting to encourage everyone to converge here at 4.20.

With that, a couple of us pop next door to The Bottle for a quick beer. It's still only about 2pm after all.

Looking down the bar, through the window and into De Kroon

This bar first became part of the Forum 4/20 tradition in 2011. It has a big window opening onto the alleyway and it was a very warm April day that year. I clearly remember approaching 420 Cafe and spotting a row of ACDers inside the open window, facing me. There was definitely Cattales, presumably DHblues, probably AZlaker and maybe Philly Rich and others. They explained that it was like a sauna inside 420 Cafe so they'd decided to roll joints in the bar until a little before 4.20.

In subsequent years it became part of the regular schedule to stop here before moving on to 420 Cafe. Then came the exile years when 420 Cafe was closed in the daytime. So it's great to revive the tradition of The Bottle and 420 Cafe on another warm April day.

Exactly 2 hours to go

We've found Macky in The Bottle. After chatting for a while I start to load up my vape. Macky is surprised. He hadn't realised this is a smoker's bar.

So we have a smoke with our beers and then move back to 420 Cafe.

At the rear of 420 Cafe we find that the big table is now fully in ACD hands. This is a wonderful sight. Excellent work people! :thumbup: After the infectious scepticism that seemed to be spreading earlier on, I'm really impressed. Tradition is upheld. 8)

Most of the crew on the ground are here and we're even joined by Papi on a phone.

As 4.20 approaches, another tradition is kept up by the 420 Cafe itself. Every year they hand out a couple of giant mega-joints. In one of the exile years they even did the same in the tiny 420 Coffeeshop (the ex-Dutch Flowers).

Right on cue a couple of huge joints are moving towards us. "You are the 420 people aren’t you?" he says. Then he asks which of the party are Americans, saying they should take charge of lighting up. "America first ... Netherlands second" he explains.

4.10pm in 420 Cafe

A big cheer announces that the clock has ticked round to 4.20 and we all disappear in a cloud of smoke.

The celebrations continue for a while. I've no idea how long really. Concepts like time, space, identity and reality generally have gone up in smoke.

There's a general drift towards Batavia with some planning to stop at Bluebird first.

I drop into the apartment, via the supermarket, for a bit of sustenance and then steam on to Bluebird. The sun is still shining and it's very warm for April. I'm buzzing on this perfect environment and whatever was in all of those joints, vapes and pipes in 420.

No familiar faces in Bluebird so I charge on. Still flying along with a huge grin, I decide to pop into Utopia for a quick one. I find a few ACDers in here so that's cool.

After a short session in Utopia it's off to Batavia where most of the gang are installed and settled in for the evening.

View from Batavia

At some point I take short break for fresh air and more sustenance. On my return I'm persuaded to buy and consume a very large dose of THsyrup. That's finished it! The remains of reality are switched off. I'm probably still moving around but no idea really. Mission accomplished!? :crazy:

Ballonnetje tomorrow ...
courtjester

Post by courtjester »

Thank you for this contribution and all you've done to create and sustain a valuable, informative resource. Cheers for 2019.
avfc-herbalist

Post by avfc-herbalist »

Excellent report 8) :mrgreen:
sit back, blaze ganja and chill