The Annual Four-Twenty Gathering - 20th April 2019

Planning a trip to the Netherlands? Post the details here.
Lemming
Site Admin

Re: The Annual Four-Twenty Gathering - 20th April 2019

Post by Lemming »

I started a boat trip discussion in an earlier post: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36176#p419524

I'll check with Ganja Cruises but, as Macky says, there are several options.

RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

I'd defo be up for the boat as I missed out last year due to getting in too late.

Its 4:20pm here now, RO420 :lol: :mrgreen:
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
Trad

Post by Trad »

Count me in for the boat trip.
If I don't see you no more in this world, I'll meet you on the next one.
JMH
macky

Post by macky »

We may need to hit couple other smoking bars at night ,ICMag is back at Batavia this year :(
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Are any jaunts out to the suburbs planned this year?
hestia

Post by hestia »

i'm in for the boat trip :D :D 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
and all the rest too!!!
Hess
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Numbers

As someone mentioned, we had a great turnout last year. In fact it's been building up nicely over the past few years.

Our biggest gatherings were nearly 10 years ago now. Then we had technical problems taking the forum off air for a while, a volcanic eruption grounding planes, the death of Slimline leading to the loss of the forum's domain name and so on, all of which reduced numbers a little.

Although the post-heyday gatherings have been slightly smaller, they are also more together. Back when we had loads of people in town we tended to split into smaller bands, often according to age group, with everyone only coming together at 4:20 in 420 and to some extent in the Nes. At the more recent gatherings we've tended to keep most of the crew touring around in a single group. Over the past couple of years we've even managed to get a bunch of people way out to the far east and west of the city!

Boat

I've managed to contact Captain James who took us out in 2015 and 16. He's finished electrifying the boat we used on those years and acquired a couple of other boats of different sizes too. He's waiting to hear whether we want to make use of his services.

My preference would be for a 2-hour twilight cruise on the 20th like we did before. I think it's nice to start in daylight and finish with lights on the bridges.

When I get a moment I'll repost the history of our boat trips, pictures and so on.

Evening Bars

It's been a tradition since the beginning to designate a smoker-friendly bar where we hang out every evening. This is a great social occasion and an opportunity for new arrivers to catch up with the gang.

Originally this was the Nes but since its demise we've mostly relied on Batavia. Batavia is good in that it's easy to find, being close to Voyagers and Centraal Station. On the other hand, it can get smoky and may not appeal to the non-drinkers. Last year the crew was often split between Batavia and Utopia.

That's why I wondered whether we should try out the new Plug Lounge. Most of us have probably not been there yet and it seems to get mixed reviews here. Just a thought. What do you think?

Jaunts into the Suburbs

We've done several excursions down to the Pijp over the years. Then, in 2017, we trekked way out east to the Stud and last year out west to the Baarsjes.

From my personal point of view, this was partly an exercise in trainspotting. It was about visiting and photographing shops that I'd never been to before.

I've collected most of the shops now and the ones left are widely spaced. They are: in the west Watersnip, Boerejongens Sloterdijk, Bulldog Port 26, Risky Business, Loft and Terminator, in the north Atlas and Bros, in the east Nogal Wiedes and Roots and in the south DNA, De Kade, The Border and Bullwackie. A mission that took in any of these would be especially interesting to me.

Other than that, I'm always up for a wander around the Pijp and messing around on the free IJ ferries (for instance to 't Ooievaartje) is fun. Last year we tested out the longer free ferry rides via NDSM to Westerdok. This is a cool way to get to Baba, optionally taking in Funny People along the way.

All suggestions welcome.

Finally, as I mentioned earlier, I quite fancy getting in a trip to The Hague at some point if that appeals to anyone.
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Lemming wrote: Wed 13th Feb 2019 05:56 pm Boat
My preference would be for a 2-hour twilight cruise on the 20th like we did before. I think it's nice to start in daylight and finish with lights on the bridges.
That's sounds like a plan I can get behind :)
Evening Bars
That's why I wondered whether we should try out the new Plug Lounge. Most of us have probably not been there yet and it seems to get mixed reviews here. Just a thought. What do you think?
I've not been in yet, but foods seems to get good reviews and it's nice and central.
Jaunts into the Suburbs
I've collected most of the shops now and the ones left are widely spaced. They are: in the west Watersnip, Boerejongens Sloterdijk, Bulldog Port 26, Risky Business, Loft and Terminator, in the north Atlas and Bros, in the east Nogal Wiedes and Roots and in the south DNA, De Kade, The Border and Bullwackie. A mission that took in any of these would be especially interesting to me.
The south is nice and De Kade and DNA (which are very close together) were both recently renovated. Bullwackie seems not so far from there as well. I think a few will probably want to check out the new Boere Sloeterdijk? Terminator is on my list for a while as they sell the gummy bear edibles, so in short, I could get behind quite a few of those :)

BTW I have The Hague on my list for later in the year for a few days, would be interested to hear how you get on if you do go.
TransApenninesCouple

Post by TransApenninesCouple »

Hi big boss, the battle plan gets more and more appetizing. In 25 years of Mokum we have never been on a boat and we can not wait to do it with all of you! In fact Batavia is a bit 'too smoky, especially for my lady, try the Plug seems to me a good idea. At the coffeeshop exploration level we miss the same part ... a good reason to go there! :D :mrgreen:
macky

Post by macky »

I,ll go for T and T for Bday bash at the plug on the 18th around 8 o,clock ,If it sucks will move after grabbing Stan :D
No gift,s please ,I,ll splurge on some Cali weed wilh my bday cash I usually get from friends ,family.
Then we can really get into it True T and T :lol: ,is it hype or?..
Lemming I like Idea of night boat trip put me down for two.
TransApenninesCouple

Post by TransApenninesCouple »

At the aperitif "spritz" on the boat we'll take care of it ... you only have to tell me where I can download the goods! Naturally, you can also book us for two ... in fact for three there will be Tor, a loving puppy labrador. :D
AzLaker

Post by AzLaker »

Lemming wrote: Wed 13th Feb 2019 05:56 pm Finally, as I mentioned earlier, I quite fancy getting in a trip to The Hague at some point if that appeals to anyone.
Lemming, I know you like different types of art, so if you guys make it to the Hague don't forget to stop at the MC Escher gallery. Definitely worth the time and not to far from the train station. :D

AzLaker
8)
If you never do, you'll never know.
Trad

Post by Trad »

Hey AZ
Hope you can make it this year.
It would be a blast to puff a dozen or two with you again.😁😁😁😁😁😎
JMH
Trad

Post by Trad »

Hey Lemming.
I am in for a dash to Den Hague.
JMH
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Hi all,

I'll put in my two-cents regarding the night locale of choice for the festivities. Of course I'm a biased fanboy but smokey and boozy or not, nowhere will ever beat Batavia - FACTS, plain and fucking simple.

There's of course the somewhat similar Hillstreet Blues, but during the evenings it tends to be rowdier, more tourist-packed and just as smokey as Batavia.

The Plug Lounge is a flop as a smoking location, basically the ingenious aspiring entrepreneurs did not do their due-diligence investigating the type of business-license they where inheriting vis-a-vis their purchase of the former pizzeria. It had a primary "eatery" designation, which means applying for or switching the license to a primary-alcohol sales venue (bar) which would allow for them to exploit a few loopholes to accommodate cannabis consumption is an all but impossible feat. Add to that I think the Gemeente has smelled from a mile away that the vibe this place exudes and clientele it attracts are exactly what the city is trying to take a marked departure from at this point in time. With that in mind, from what I've been told by staff - they've really drawn ire and scrutiny in the form of of weekly sometimes daily inspections for conformity and compliance. So TL;DR, Plug is a no-go if you want to enjoy your cannabis - and it's also a chav-infested shithole sporting trashy accents that make Alabama trailerpack sounds like waxing elegant poetic beauty.

Moving along - the one contender that's been up and coming with the local cannabis scene is Hunter's Grand Lounge on the Reguliersstraat (the Gay area, so homophobes not so kindly fuck right off!), it's relatively clean, spacious, dab-friendly, has pool tables, etc. The only drawback is depending on the night there can be louder music and it's bit dark and "ongezellig" compared to say Batavia.