4/20 Boat Trip Attempt 2019

Planning a trip to the Netherlands? Post the details here.
Lemming
Site Admin

4/20 Boat Trip Attempt 2019

Post by Lemming »

The (Chequered) History of Our 4/20 Boat Trips

This is partially a re-post of text and pictures from earlier years.

We've not always been entirely successful with our boat trips but, it has to be said, we've had more successes recently and even our failures have been fun :D

2007 fail :thumbdown:

AzLaker organised a boat through Rookies coffeeshop. I think this was the same boat that the Channelites had been out on a few years earlier.

Loads of us turned up at Rookies ready to go but the boat had broken down. Nevertheless we had an amazing session including a mega-joint that Mazdog had rolled for the trip.

Story here

2008 success :thumbup:

In 2008 we discovered the St. Nicolaas Boat Club. Unfortunately this no longer exists but it was a wonderful collective with a few boats, associated with Boom Chicago comedy club.

On a chilly evening we did a smoky tour on an open boat. There were only four of us, SilentlyScreaming, me and our respective partners, but I'm calling that a success.

Story here

2009 success :thumbup:

Having checked out the St. Nicolaas Boat Club we spread the news and had lots of people saying they'd like to go for a cruise around the canals.

On the night we were all gathered in the Nes but when we tried to round up all of the people who said they wanted to go most were too stoned to move. Nevertheless, about eight of us made it and had a brilliant trip. It was also a much warmer evening than 2008.

Story here

2011 success :thumbup:

3 little boats, 2 shifts, 1 dog. This time we started, rather appropriately, from Voyagers. Rather than a single boat, we had three small ones and so many people that we had to split the group into two so that the boats could go out twice.

Image Image

Story here

2012 fail :thumbdown:

Following our success in 2011, a large group assembled in Voyagers ready for a repeat sailing but the boat had broken down. As a substitute we all piled onto the free ferry across the IJ and explored a couple of coffeeshops in Amsterdam Noord.

Story here

2013 fail :thumbdown:

Again we all gathered in Voyagers and again the boat didn't happen. We had a good party instead though.

Story here

2014 fail :thumbdown:

This time Elasticband tried to organise a boat for us. After several sunny days, on the day we planned to sail there was a rain shower and it was a bit overcast. We all congregated in Coffeeshop 137 but the weather scuppered our plans. We did, of course, have an excellent session instead.

Story here

2015 success :thumbup:

We broke our run of failures in style.

Less than a week before the 20th I heard about Ganja Cruises, a guy with a smart covered saloon boat. Somehow we managed to get ourselves organised in a few days and had a successful expedition.

Image Image

Story here

2016 success :thumbup:

We did an equally wonderful repeat performance with Ganja Cruises.

Story here

2017 success :thumbup:

Macky organised our biggest boat trip yet on the SmokeBoat.

Story here

2018 success :thumbup:

Macky got on the case again with the Spidergawd Memorial Cruise on the SmokeBoat.

Story here

You up for it?

RoMoney

Re: 4/20 Boat Trip Attempt 2019

Post by RoMoney »

I thoroughly enjoyed the history of the boat trip, a great share Lemming!

Defo up for joining this year. What sort of numbers do we need to make the boat feasible?
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
macky

Post by macky »

+2
Trad

Post by Trad »

I'm in.😁
If I don't see you no more in this world, I'll meet you on the next one.
JMH
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

If there was any doubt: +2!!! :D :mrgreen:
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
TransApenninesCouple

Post by TransApenninesCouple »

Assolutamente si: +2! :D
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

There are probably many options but here are two:

The boat formerly known as Ganja Cruise - this has had a major makeover since we last went out on it (and it was already very smart). It's now electric and official. The downside of this is that prices have gone up.

The boat has a proper toilet, a nice cabin plus an open deck and I'm told that the big glass bong is still in place. Another advantage it has over some is that it's low enough to fit under more bridges and so can explore much more of the city. Watch your head if standing on the back though!

Maximum capacity is 12, 10 probably more comfortable. It's €300 for a 2-hour cruise (special price for us).

SmokeBoat - This is bigger. It comfortably holds 20 and I think the maximum is 24. It has a big cabin with several tables and big windows. On the other hand it doesn't have a toilet (at least that anyone wants to use!) and, like most of the commercial boats, it's limited to certain canals, the IJ, Oosterdok, etc.

I'm not sure of the price but I think SmokeBoat would be cheaper per person if we can fill it.
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

That's 9, and a dependable bunch (as far as stoners can be dependable), so looking really good so far with numbers.

Given the overall count on who's in town that ain't bad ( although we'll probably not make it to the crazy level of cat herding captain macky has accomplished the two last years)! :D
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

I make it 10 who've said they fancy it so far:

CopenhagenCouple x 2
Hestia
Lemming
Macky x 2
RoMoney
Trad
TransApenninesCouple x 2

I'm always sceptical about numbers from experience (see above :)), although my cat herding skills are not up to Macky's standards and he's managed to get most of the people who've said they'd turn up for his trips to actually appear.

At the moment then we're probably looking at 30 euros per person for a luxury 2-hour cruise. We might be able to get that price down a bit if we can fill a larger boat and/or shorten the time.

It's only February so we've probably got a bit of time to think about it.
macky

Post by macky »

Smokeboat runs all day on 420,we could reserve 10 seats or put down150 and reserve hole boat.
The price is 15 for hour ,think extra 5 got us extra half hour two years back. You got to figure Smirks if still in ,has not missed Boat ride yet :mrgreen:
The other thing about booking whole boat you have to pay for twenty ,but it holds 24 .
Gives room like last year to invite Ingi ,Gapie and the guy who lets us use his server those he missed last year .Opions are good ..So if Kermit and a few Matty,Nug,s or Danny then no brainer we shall wait and see
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Count me in
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

One option that allows for flexibility is a fleet of Mokum boat rentals I reckon each boat fits 6-9 people and cost 90€ per hour/ number of occupants on the given boat

2-3 boats is min. 12-18 pax already
Trad

Post by Trad »

Hi
I think we have at least 10 dependable members in for this trip and I imagine we'll get a few more so, a larger boat would seem to be needed.
If it comes down to it, I'll cover Gapie.
Last edited by Trad on Fri 15th Feb 2019 07:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I don't see you no more in this world, I'll meet you on the next one.
JMH
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Thanks everyone. Keep up the discussion!

Seems like SmokeBoat and Ganja are similarly priced, depending on numbers.

SmokeBoat 300 euros for 1 hour for 20 - 24 people
Ganja 300 euros for 2 hours for 10 - 12 people

We know both are good, but different. Ganja is the best cruise around pretty parts of the city. Great for photography and it has a big glass bong. SmokeBoat is great for a big floating party but only does the tourist route and the guys running it don't know what a bong is!

A 2-hour twilight cruise on a smart boat with toilet is very nice whereas an hour of drinking beer on a boat with no loo is probably long enough, especially for us old folks!

The other options are also worth considering, although open boats wouldn't be fun if it was raining. We've been very lucky with weather over the years but sooner or later we're bound to have a gathering when the weather gods don't smile on us.
macky

Post by macky »

Sound,s like you prefer Ganga cruise Lemming 8) I have Know problem sitting out ,as long as Hiesta and trad and those who have not had the chance get a boat ride . So I,d say book your boat Lem you will get your ten .