Cali Weed: Marketing strategy, imported buds or US strains?

Bud reviews. Varieties of marijuana.
tlcandtyt

Re: Cali Weed: Marketing strategy, imported buds or US strains?

Post by tlcandtyt »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Wed 1st May 2019 11:22 pm
Not_the_monk wrote: Wed 1st May 2019 11:10 pm Of course, vac-packing doesn't necessarily indicate it has been imported from CA specifically, would it not be reasonable to assume anything coming say from Spain would also be packed that way for transport? :mrgreen:

I don't doubt there is legit Cali import on the Dutch market, but I'm also quite sure a lot of less scrupulous outfits are labelling all sorts as "Cali" to enable extreme profiteering. The very concept that by default weed grown in the US is somehow worth two-three times what it is elsewhere is clearly nuts, but I suppose as there just as clearly is a market for it then the logistical hassle and expense of importation would be logically worth dealing with.
Despite some of my snippets at a (micro) glance suggesting otherwise, I couldn't agree more and pretty much second every point you make here!
Indeed!

DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

This conversation is really boring we have had it so many times now. Most of it is Cali, not all of its better. If your buying Cali and it’s not Cali you’ve got a shit plug. Oh and don’t pay €50 a gram for it in (nearly said a bad word) noon or even 35 in the plug, thems rip off prices.
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Not_the_monk wrote: Wed 1st May 2019 11:10 pm Of course, vac-packing doesn't necessarily indicate it has been imported from CA specifically, would it not be reasonable to assume anything coming say from Spain would also be packed that way for transport? :mrgreen:

I don't doubt there is legit Cali import on the Dutch market, but I'm also quite sure a lot of less scrupulous outfits are labelling all sorts as "Cali" to enable extreme profiteering. The very concept that by default weed grown in the US is somehow worth two-three times what it is elsewhere is clearly nuts, but I suppose as there just as clearly is a market for it then the logistical hassle and expense of importation would be logically worth dealing with.
Sorry yes of course, I should have been clearer: IMO it's definitely coming from America - Europe just doesn't have access to a lot of the genetics that I'm seeing. Yet - but the more import arrives in Europe, the more bagseed we'll have and we'll start to see more of the phenomena you describe; Spanish grown being sold as American Import. As you say, due to the availibilty of legit seeds, cuts and bagseed - I'm postive that's already true for strains like Zkittlez/Gelato/etc
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

OneHighMofo wrote: Thu 2nd May 2019 10:23 am

Sorry yes of course, I should have been clearer: IMO it's definitely coming from America - Europe just doesn't have access to a lot of the genetics that I'm seeing. Yet - but the more import arrives in Europe, the more bagseed we'll have and we'll start to see more of the phenomena you describe; Spanish grown being sold as American Import. As you say, due to the availibilty of legit seeds, cuts and bagseed - I'm postive that's already true for strains like Zkittlez/Gelato/etc
Yeah who knows, I'd say I've only "nosed" Dutch grown Cali-strains recently here in the Netherlands that smell "legit", the previous years all the cookies and gelato, etc. just tended to smell like non-descript and less-than-noteworthy OGs. This started to change here in AMS, starting from a couple months back - however as far back as a year ago in BCN, the newer "cali" genetics I saw (namely in Backyard) had those signature smells like the "Cali bud", so I think legit cuts/genetics have been circulating more extensively and for longer, in BCN than in AMS.
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

There’s a circle in the Uk that have been growing gelato out for a couple of years, it’s just about stable now coming through nice but it really has taken some work.

I was smoking jungleboys gelato last week aswel and honestly I thought the Uk one edged it on flavour, tho the jb was stronger high.

I’m sure the same can be said for some Dutch, I’m sure the canal side scene will be providing some serious dank!
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
macky

Post by macky »

Buddy showed me pictures of a jar of bud from cali. I then looked up the company…Caviar Gold
THe flower you get from them top self flower then dipped in 95 percent pure THC distillate. then dusted in kief :D
Every bud they sell pre rolled joints or jars of bud are done that way 8) Sign me up :D ..now if the Plug……. :lol:
Johnny J

Post by Johnny J »

They are called “Moon Rocks” here in the States.

https://dispensary33.com/product_archive/moon-rocks/
ScottishC

Post by ScottishC »

Why is weed in the US better?

When I lived in New York, the average bud I was getting completely blows away 99% of the stuff you get from coffeeshops in Amsterdam, and of course completely humiliates the stuff I'm getting here in Germany.

We're not even talking Californian genetics here either. In NYC I used to smoke a lot of Sugar Black Rose, which is Critical Mass X Black Domina, both from Amsterdam seed banks. Yet both the flavour and effects were much better than anything I've smoked in Europe.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure that with the right connections, or the luck to walk into the right coffeeshop on the right day, people have smoked better in Europe. But when the average US bud is compared to the average European bud, there's no comparison. What's their secret? Do they have some kind of super strength ferts that are banned in Europe or something?
macky

Post by macky »

ScottishC wrote: Sun 9th Jun 2019 10:05 am Why is weed in the US better?

When I lived in New York, the average bud I was getting completely blows away 99% of the stuff you get from coffeeshops in Amsterdam, and of course completely humiliates the stuff I'm getting here in Germany.

We're not even talking Californian genetics here either. In NYC I used to smoke a lot of Sugar Black Rose, which is Critical Mass X Black Domina, both from Amsterdam seed banks. Yet both the flavour and effects were much better than anything I've smoked in Europe.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure that with the right connections, or the luck to walk into the right coffeeshop on the right day, people have smoked better in Europe. But when the average US bud is compared to the average European bud, there's no comparison. What's their secret? Do they have some kind of super strength ferts that are banned in Europe or something?
Yes they have easy rules on chemicals ..mostly pest control. Lots of places in US to grow long budding strains witch brings more trippy weed . The biggest thing is curing ..after two ,three weeks dry,n pot will taste Ok! But pot has lots of properties that don,t come into effect till after a good long cure. Plus indoor grower,s are not going to wait for peak harvest ,hate to say it but Barney,s and alike do not wish to have whites going on all over the city with tourist . They don,t need the mayor getting infulled...seeing how well he handles the CS window shooting in the middle of the night ..sounds like a lyrici to a song :D