UKCSC (UK Cannabis Social Clubs)

RoMoney

UKCSC (UK Cannabis Social Clubs)

Post by RoMoney »

Are many ACDers members of registered clubs? The organisation seem to be doing a lot for the plant in the UK and there are registered clubs all over the UK. I attended an event in one of the clubs which they reported on, link below, and have also attended several other events at that club.

https://ukcsc.co.uk/belfast-hemp-market ... iced-hemp/

Given more and more Police in the UK support the Spanish cannabis model, this organisation could really influence things.

Bring back Imelda Marcos!
Sanchez_

Re: UKCSC (UK Cannabis Social Clubs)

Post by Sanchez_ »

Whilst they've done some great work, the ring leader likes to think he's some form of "Weed Jesus" and has a tendency to just like to support certain areas if it means himself getting exposure/chance to spout off on camera.

A lot of clubs across the country are at completely different stages and in a lot of cases virtually not anything other than a name of a group with no direction, agenda or actual active state:- a lot of this is due to a lack of support and knowledge sharing/direction from UKCSC.

The Messiah recently attended an annual march in my city, he had never attended before but low and behold because there was a chance to be on camera as it gained local press attention last year he was all over it! The "Social Club" that runs this event is not active nor is it even based in the city they name themselves after and hold it in?? So even with his involvement (cough, cough)/attendance why has that club still not progressed or become active? What support have UKCSC actually given to improve and grow this outside of the strongholds of Teeside and Brighton?

On a very recent IG story post he also branded activists that were concerned of police presence at an event "Pussies"? He seems out of touch and on his high horse at times and feel his ego is massively inflated from so much media interviews and attention, this in turn impacts the message or direction of the scene in its current fragile form. It's all good and well going on TV debates and getting cut off/baited/made to look stupid as the mainstream love to do but where is the structure outside of the one man IG band? Why aren't we seeing more support in the areas that are lagging behind? A bunch of signatures demanding reform has already been tried many times and thrown out of the commons for debate, yes we should keep trying but what are they actually doing? Where is the growth and support for the "movement"? The co-op growing idea is some fantasy form of trying to get (mostly) medical users to somehow be excused from breaking the law when caught(spoiler alert it doesn't!). What support does UKCSC give to people feeling the long arm of the law? Is there anything in that respect even thought of or in place?

There needs to be massive change in their involvement and structure because at the moment it just seems like they try to "support" when attending events organised by others/trying to claim some form of ownership from it.

And if you dare point anything obvious out to weed Jesus he doesn't like it very much! Hate to be so negative but the guy is an utter goon who loves the limelight.
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

So what I'm hearing is that you're not a member of a club but may have attended a local event? I also detect some hate towards Greg "Weed Jesus" de Hoedt :lol:

Let some love in your heart Sanchez-san :lol:
Sanchez_

Post by Sanchez_ »

RoMoney wrote: Thu 15th Aug 2019 09:00 am So what I'm hearing is that you're not a member of a club but may have attended a local event? I also detect some hate towards Greg "Weed Jesus" de Hoedt :lol:

Let some love in your heart Sanchez-san :lol:
:lol: All praise Weed Jesus!

I'm very passionate as you can tell lol

When I first contacted him a number of years ago enquiring about clubs in my area he pointed out 1 or 2 and said "they're just grow clubs/collabs" doesn't seem to be any others active right now....(no mention of we we're working on improving this or have you thought of starting one and we can help you/give advice to help the cause etc.)

When called out on his event attendance shaming of the pussies he tried to say it was aimed at more specific local so called activists blah blah (none of this was mentioned in his post/story and doesn't excuse it)

I'd love to see them do more and actually support and help with growth rather than hitching off the back of what people have already done, if you look at signatures for reform maps/counts they posted recently there's no surprise how lacking the numbers are in certain areas when there is virtually zero interaction or encouragement to increase this from them. Which is very frustrating for the cause.

The war is over, The Messiah is here, Greg has risen hallelujah hallelujah :lol:
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

WJ as his friends call him :mrgreen:

The UKCSC organisation are providing some support to clubs and legal advice, WJ even attends court and speaks on behalf of clubs or medical patients fairly regularly so I think they are probably in a better place than when you contacted them a few years ago, they've only really come to my attention in the last year. I think as well, anything with lots of stoners involved won't neccessarily be the most efficiently run machine, but they do seem to be becoming a hub for clubs and the community which is a positive. It's one of the big thing I've taken from attending events, you meet people you would never have met who live right beside you and the more people meet others the more the whole scene grows and comes out from the shadows......once out from the shadows, people won't go back.

I did see the story where he was asking were people activists or pussies, a lot of people involved with Cannabis have that attitude because if you're a vendor, work in a headshop etc. you don't need to worry about background checks and all the stuff others have to worry about.
Sanchez_

Post by Sanchez_ »

Yeah I'm not disputing the positive work that has been done already and that was pointed out to him.

With representation comes some responsibility and I guess what I would like to see is some streamlining to get enough areas to a basic standard/point that can grow. So for instance for all the well established clubs they are closely affiliated with let's get some information sharing and direction from these clubs and spread the movement to help others grow, should be fairly straightforward in following someone elses format, successes and failures from experience etc.

In your last point you really hit the nail on the head and that is was really irks me outside of the previous mentioned points, if you're going to represent a movement you have to represent all people and be respectful: his little rant and way he came across was exactly reminiscent of someone deeply embedded in the movement that often forget of those that can't fight or represent in the same way due to negative comebacks. I also clearly made a point of that to him because I felt it disrespected those that have no choice but to stay in the shadows.

Everyone is human and makes mistakes, but it was something I didn't expect from someone supposedly championing for all in the movement. It felt very negative and out of touch for a person in such a position.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Sanchez_ wrote: Wed 14th Aug 2019 08:05 pm A lot of clubs across the country are at completely different stages and in a lot of cases virtually not anything other than a name of a group with no direction, agenda or actual active state:- a lot of this is due to a lack of support and knowledge sharing/direction from UKCSC.
Sorry dude I totally disagree with this. The lack of direction of most of the UK cannabis clubs is because the people running them are half-witted badly organised young people that are more concerned with gaining better access to the local growers circles (whom aren't at all interested in getting involved with some kid shouting about everything on social media) and running deeply irresponsible product 'giveaways' that frankly could mean product being sent to vulnerable or exceptionally young instagram users.
Starting a CSC is a huge amount of work/risk/etc that falls directly into the hands of those that want to support it. I don't see it as anyone elses responsibility. I wonder what you think he personally might do more of to support this lack of direction you cite?
Sanchez_ wrote: Wed 14th Aug 2019 08:05 pm The Messiah recently attended an annual march in my city, he had never attended before but low and behold because there was a chance to be on camera as it gained local press attention last year he was all over it! The "Social Club" that runs this event is not active nor is it even based in the city they name themselves after and hold it in?? So even with his involvement (cough, cough)/attendance why has that club still not progressed or become active? What support have UKCSC actually given to improve and grow this outside of the strongholds of Teeside and Brighton?
They give out information packs and promote the clubs on the UKCSC site / in the Quarterleaf magazine. I wonder what else you're expecting from them? The meteoric rise of the North Eastern club you mention is purely down to the hard work of Michael the owner. He's put himself in the public (and law enforcements) eye (just like Greg De Hoet) as a grower and activist. Which deserves the utmost respect in my opinion. The UKCSC has supported Durham just as they'll support anyone putting in that level of work.
Sanchez_ wrote: Wed 14th Aug 2019 08:05 pm On a very recent IG story post he also branded activists that were concerned of police presence at an event "Pussies"?
I agree - this was a wrong turn. But everyone makes mistakes and says things they regret. Personally I don't feel this mistake warrants a character assasination or accusation of boundless ego. I've met the guy on a couple of occasions, he seemed kind, humble and willing to discuss his work without ego.
Sanchez_ wrote: Wed 14th Aug 2019 08:05 pm What support does UKCSC give to people feeling the long arm of the law? Is there anything in that respect even thought of or in place?
As Ro points out "(they/he) attends court and speaks on behalf of clubs or medical patients fairly regularly".
That's a very selfless and incredibly helpful thing to do which deserves applause not derision.

I have my own critques of the uk cannabis activist movement scene. Largely centred on the unbeleiveably childish in-fighting that seems to revolve around which political party Norml Vs Clear UK support but largely I think both organisations do great work and have done an awful lot to raise awareness and normalise Cannabis use. I'd credit Greg (and his apparent nemesis Peter Reynolds) with opening my eyes (through their early YouTube videos) to many areas of the scene that I had no idea about.
macky

Post by macky »

Like Mark emery ,love him or hate him :D With out his cash for events and court cases legalization would never of happened here in Canada . Pay he did five year,s federal time for ....seeds :?
People who come to the fore usually are great business men(well organized not afraid to work) take a risk ...do time.
Pep,s always slag the doer,s :mrgreen:
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

You do need a few trailblazers to make progress in anything. There's a massive amount of risk that goes with organizing events and even more with a club so I can see why in some areas they may not still exist or may be very small as it takes a certain type of individual to kick start things. I just hope the UKCSC can help clubs grow and gain a good rep. Imagine local police everywhere in the UK came to view the clubs the same as the one mentioned in the North East is viewed locally.
Sanchez_

Post by Sanchez_ »

@OHMF

Apologies been absent dealing with some stuff:

Ok firstly maybe I have been a little harsh on ol' Greg, a number of influencers and awareness people in the scene irked me that week with the stuff that was being spouted either directly or posted openly across various platforms including the direct interaction I had with him. The scene and some of the points you've raised is utterly frustrating at the moment- we're in a situation where the Instagram flexers, posers and sellers have more attention and reach than an awareness movement that has been around much longer, which in turns becomes much more negative and fuels tabloid trash like the daily mail etc.
I respect the work he has done and a lot that he continues to do (even said that to the guy) and I haven't exactly disputed or totally shut that out either.

I can only go off of my experiences and interactions with the guy and add to that the people around me in my area that have tried setting up clubs and also reached out for help and advice from him, which in a lot of cases people have been spoken to bluntly/rudely and ignored repeatedly (years in a lot of examples) despite purely reaching out for a little help or direction which is a bit strange in all honesty. Obviously we haven't had the same experiences with the guy.

Of course it's easy for me outside looking in to have high expectations of someone representing a movement that I feel passionately about but that I'm unable to work at in the same way. I guess I would like to see them/him focusing more on certain bits as it can feel a bit all over the place at times and lacking direction.

I know how difficult it is to set up a club or being a part of an awareness group as I have friends that got heavily involved in both areas and in 99% of cases it rarely survives with multiple people involved as everyone has different ideas and want to pull in different directions thus causing a lot of head bashing and infighting.

Would like to see him be a bit more receptive to those reaching out and/or him getting some support to aid this (easier said than done I know as already mentioned above). I can't give much more detail without publicly including those that wish to remain hidden in a lot of this of the local scene.

Had he been a bit more receptive to those that have reached out repeatedly and to myself when I raised the pussies remark then maybe I wouldn't have slated him so much. I've been on the fence about him for sometime and obviously felt very disappointed by his response and lack of ownership of said remark which I thought was worse than the original remark anyway!

Hopefully he can work a little bit more with the local scene here and that they can also help themselves more where he isn't able or responsible.

Peace
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Cheers for the thoughtful reply dude.
I can imagine your disappointment at an interaction you’d hoed would bear more fruit and I certainly see your frustration with the ‘pussies’ comment. That would (did) taint my opinion of him too for a second there.

Without knowing the details of the CSC’s issues in your area it’s difficult to comment and obviously I could be being somewhat unkind here so apologies if that’s the case: but I have to say it sounds a lot like a bunch of stoners not being able to get their shit together due to squabbling which just doesnt surprise me at all and I still don’t feel that’s Gregs (or anyone else’s) responsibility to deal with.

The local bridge club (insert any other community group here) doesn’t need an overseeing governing body to advise them. They just organise and get on with it, interacting with other local groups happily. Why does the Cannabis scene need help in that regard? Because immature squabbling in that part of the cannabis ‘community’ is intrinsic imo. Largely because it’s often an emotive issue for medical users that are trying (and failing spectacularly) to get information from essentially a community chock full of half-witted armchair experts and kids that wannabe the next rock star dealer/grower/extract artist/influencer.

I don’t don’t want anything to do with the CSC scene personally, my experiences of it left a nasty taste in my mouth and involved a lot of eye rolling.
If I were Greg De Hoet I’d wash my hands of the lot of them and concentrate on more important matters. Perhaps he has?

There is a very healthy local scene in every town/city across the country. As evidenced by the glut of hydro stores. The difference is that the community members are just not wearing badges / posting on instagtam and those that want to get involved have to take part and add value to an actual community rather than sit around talking about being in one as consumers.

It seems like the Instagram community is ‘more visible’ I’m sure. But the truth is that community is a bubble within a larger scene that’s been established a long time and just doesn’t give a shit what kids are saying online. These circles have existed for decades now and there’s only one way in.
GYO.
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

OneHighMofo wrote: Wed 28th Aug 2019 03:22 pm There is a very healthy local scene in every town/city across the country. As evidenced by the glut of hydro stores. The difference is that the community members are just not wearing badges / posting on instagtam and those that want to get involved have to take part and add value to an actual community rather than sit around talking about being in one as consumers.

It seems like the Instagram community is ‘more visible’ I’m sure. But the truth is that community is a bubble within a larger scene that’s been established a long time and just doesn’t give a shit what kids are saying online. These circles have existed for decades now and there’s only one way in.
GYO.
When you say healthy scene, do you mean in terms of growers sharing info or does that also include a social scene that is just kept off social media?
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

RoMoney wrote: Wed 28th Aug 2019 08:36 pm When you say healthy scene, do you mean in terms of growers sharing info or does that also include a social scene that is just kept off social media?
Very much both
it seems like the UKCSC movement tried to encourage activists to collect together and come out of the woodwork. A laudable aim if perhaps not a bit naive given the illegal nature of their hobbies. So I see Sanchez's frustrations because I think he's right - it hasn't really worked. For a variety of reaons - the visibility and increased danger of social media probably being a deciding factor for many.
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

OneHighMofo wrote: Wed 28th Aug 2019 09:08 pm Very much both
it seems like the UKCSC movement tried to encourage activists to collect together and come out of the woodwork. A laudable aim if perhaps not a bit naive given the illegal nature of their hobbies. So I see Sanchez's frustrations because I think he's right - it hasn't really worked. For a variety of reaons - the visibility and increased danger of social media probably being a deciding factor for many.
That's very interesting to hear as obviously the scene there has evolved a bit more than here.

From my point of view the benefits have been meeting other people on the island who are big into cannabis as the events have brought people out from the shadows and this has meant so many other side meetups and trips etc. Social media has helped with that aspect of it, i.e. making others like me aware that things like this were happening, but social media also brings with it all the ridiculousness which you captured quite well with your line "kids that wannabe the next rock star dealer/grower/extract artist/influencer" :). Events have also meant I can now source a lot of fair trade product (i.e. I know where my money goes - morally this feels amazing) and it's also meant I've access to way more variety. There have been other small things too which have been really cool, like getting to try so many vapes that I wouldn't have been able. Might seem like a bizarre thing, but can be damn hard to try a new vape sometimes.

I suppose selfishly I'm happy that the clubs bring seshes and I'm less about the activism part, because like Sanchez, I'm a pussy ;) Well that and the markets will legalize cannabis not me marching or signing petitions as the article below outlines.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agr ... -1.3994192
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

RoMoney wrote: Wed 28th Aug 2019 10:07 pm I suppose selfishly I'm happy that the clubs bring seshes and I'm less about the activism part, because like Sanchez, I'm a pussy ;) Well that and the markets will legalize cannabis not me marching or signing petitions
(Edit to add reply)

Bro I agree with this 100% cannabis will be legalised when the companies that rule the world say it can be legalised. However I am noticing slowly but surely it’s being normalised, cannabis is currently all over the tv in the Uk in special educational programs, soaps and comedies.
ignoring spellcheck since 1986