ACD Forum's 4/20 Gathering 2019

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
Ghost

Re: ACD Forum's 4/20 Gathering 2019

Post by Ghost »

Loving this write up, excellent read, really gutted I missed this due to other commitments, hope there is going to be one for 2020?

Great read Lemming, thanks for sharing.

Chase the Green to live the Dream :mrgreen: 8) :D
matty223

Post by matty223 »

Ghost wrote: Thu 19th Sep 2019 09:57 pm Loving this write up, excellent read, really gutted I missed this due to other commitments, hope there is going to be one for 2020?

Great read Lemming, thanks for sharing.
There is a gathering of the masses every year in April
FlyByNite

Post by FlyByNite »

You do realize that next year it will be 4/20 all month long. 4:20 at 420 Cafe on 4/20/20 should be a real hoot, now we have a reason for the entire month of April.

Enjoy
FlyByNite
AzLaker

Post by AzLaker »

FlyByNite wrote: Tue 1st Oct 2019 07:39 am You do realize that next year it will be 4/20 all month long. 4:20 at 420 Cafe on 4/20/20 should be a real hoot, now we have a reason for the entire month of April.

Enjoy
FlyByNite
+1 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AzLaker
8)
If you never do, you'll never know.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

AzLaker wrote: Tue 1st Oct 2019 03:27 pm
FlyByNite wrote: Tue 1st Oct 2019 07:39 am You do realize that next year it will be 4/20 all month long. 4:20 at 420 Cafe on 4/20/20 should be a real hoot, now we have a reason for the entire month of April.

Enjoy
FlyByNite
+1 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AzLaker
8)
Oh Yeah, good shout, gives us a good excuse to book a longer trip, I am going to be involved next year and make sure I am there, I have been on this site for a good few years and haven't made a 420 event yet, apart from the year we had the volcano ash and there wasn't that many people in town because of that bloody volcano( the wrong sort of volcano) :D

so, I or we depending if the missis wants to come( hope not as she smokes like a chimney and will cost me a further few hundred euro :D :D :D ) no only kidding she can come if she likes.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Day 3 - Thursday 18th April 2019

Yesterday was dry and mild but a bit overcast. Today the forecasters have promised us warmth and sunshine. As I emerge from my dab-induced stupor, I find that the Weather Gods have delivered in style. The sun is streaming into the apartment.

Today is Macky's birthday and the schedule is perfect for a sunny day. First stop is 420 Coffeeshop on the Singel (previously Dutch Flowers) for a meet proposed by Hestia.

420 Coffeeshop

Watching the world go by on this lovely corner outside the coffeeshop we have Choppermike, the CopenhagenCouple, Mr & Mrs Macky and Marok21. We're missing Hestia, whose meet this is supposed to be, but we have messages that she and Trad will be joining us later at Sound Garden.

A nice chill start to the day.

Next we're moving to Sound Garden. Some are on bikes, the Mackys and me are walking.

Mr & Mrs Macky on Berensluis bridge over the Prinsengracht with Westerkerk behind

We stop at the Macky's apartment close to Mr K and Co so I add to my photo collection during the short commercial break. They're soon back and we pile into Sound Garden.

Sound Garden

Through the bar, grabbing beers along the way, and out back onto the canal-side terrace.

We've now assembled Choppermike, the CopenhagenCouple, DeLekkersteNUGS16, Drugsbunny, Hestia, the Mackys, Smirks, Trad and me. Marok21 has had to head off but is hoping to rejoin us in a day or two. It's great to see Hestia and the others.

Synchronicity! (Trad and me (left))

A few years ago Hestia gave these 'Reefer Madness' t-shirts to Trad and me. We both independently chose to bring them along and wear them today.

Beers, buds, bongs and blowtorches everywhere, the ACD hardcore tokers are in the Garden. Grinders are a-grinding, joints are a-rollin', the dab train is a-steaming along. We're settled in for a happy afternoon in the glorious spring sunshine.

Eventually Trad, Hestia, Smirks and me stagger across busy Rozengracht to 1e Hulp. There we sit in an alcove that reminds me of an earlier time so we try to recreate a picture from memory.

Trad and me in 2013

Trad and Hestia 2019

From there we move to The Plug and then Gapie, Smirks and me head over to Coffeeshop Amsterdam Cafe.

Coffeeshop Amsterdam Cafe

Downstairs they have a vape demo going on.

The evening session is Macky's Birthday Bash at Batavia.

Moon over Batavia and St. Nicolaas Catholic Basilica

In the pic above, the dark walls and red roof immediately below the moon is the top of the Gebouw Batavia building. It looks a bit different from street level.

Inside the basement of Batavia we've got The CopenhagenCouple, DeLekkersteNUGS16, Drugsbunny, Gapie, Hestia, the Mackys, RoMoney, Smirks, Trad and me. An excellent turnout to celebrate Macky's birthday.

A mega session rolls on for hours. As the party finally runs down, a few last survivors head off towards The Plug Lounge.

Cafe Hot or Not

We lose RoMoney and Smirks along the way, leaving just Trad, Gapie and me to stumble into Plug Lounge. A last drink and vape finishes off another lovely day in style.

Ballonnetje tomorrow!
Occasional Bowl

Post by Occasional Bowl »

Great write up so far Lemming, but will you finish it before April 2020?
Hang on to your head
gapie

Post by gapie »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
GetHigh,DoStuff&Dont give a FUCK!
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Occasional Bowl wrote: Wed 9th Oct 2019 11:17 am Great write up so far Lemming, but will you finish it before April 2020?
:lol: Good to hear from you OB.
Well, I'm working on the next day but still several days to go.
I've also been a bit distracted because Microsoft managed to break my ancient Access 2003 with their latest Windows 10 update. I've now moved the data to SQL Server and I'm recreating the forms using C#.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Day 4 - Friday 19th April 2019

It's another lovely day as I set off towards Ballonnetje. I head down Spuistraat, being distracted by coffeeshops that I feel compelled to photograph along the way.

My apartment is next to Cafe Palace and a little further along is Mediterrane, which is being refurbished at the moment. It seems to be progressing rapidly as I pass each day.

Turning towards the Spui, I spot the new sign outside Tweede Kamer. I posted some old pictures of this sign a couple of years ago. At that time the wooden perforations around the stamp had been replaced by a plain frame around the 2010 picture. I think the latest incarnation is an improvement.

Image Image
2009 and 2010

I cross the Amstel River and attempt to continue down the east bank but find my way blocked by the Walter Susskindbrug being open to allow a tall double-decker tourist boat through.

Walter Susskindbrug

After all of these distractions and delays I realise I'm running late so I push on and somehow take a wrong turn, popping out at an unintended point on Roetersstraat. Momentarily disorientated, I look up and down the street and spot Hestia and Trad walking towards me so the three of us continue into Ballonnetje. Inside we find a serious session already in progress. A selection of jars are already scattered around (being late, I missed the introductions) and there are piles of meat rolls in the middle of the table. I'm handed a vegetarian roll.

This is our third year of enjoying exceptional hospitality at Het Ballonnetje. Yet again they've generously invited all ACD Forum members in town to join them for an afternoon of sampling their wares. Clearly this is an opportunity to promote the shop but I can honestly say that I've loved this place since my first visit in the 1980s and the cannasseurs in our party tell me that the wares are genuinely excellent. Certainly works for me. Thanks Ballonnetje!

After half an hour or so the Ballonnetje crew are getting a bit concerned that there is still some food left. It seems our lot are too busy smoking and vaping to stop and eat!

In the house we have Mr & Mrs CopenhagenCouple, Danny211204, DeLekkersteNUGS16, Drugsbunny, Gapie, Hestia, Mr & Mrs Macky, Matty223, RoMoney, Sanchez_, Smirks, Trad and me.

Ballonnetje Menu

Regular readers and participants may recall my shambolic efforts at distributing Ballonnetje merchandise in the past. This year more t-shirts appear and again distribution is a bit chaotic but I think Danny got one this time so some redress made.

After a couple of hours or so we don't want to outstay our welcome so we begin to plot our next move. The schedule says we should be wandering around the Pijp before a Yo-Yo meet at 5.

Drugsbunny, Hestia, Trad and me set off on foot. We take our time, pausing at the Nieuwe Achtergracht on our way to Sarphatistraat. There's a tram stop here but none of the trams go directly to Albert Cuypmarkt. This leads to typical confusion. (The stop on Roetersstraat near Ballonnetje has seemed abandoned for a while now, incidentally).

The first stop we encounter is a short distance along Sarphatistraat. We mill around for a while and Hestia decides to hop down the road a bit on wheels. It becomes clear, however, that we're on the wrong side so we walk on a bit further until we find the stop for the right direction. By now we're well along the road and it's only one stop further before we need to turn off the tram route.

The other three of us leave Hestia at the tram stop and continue walking. We stare into each passing tram ready to wave at Hestia as she overtakes us.

We soon arrive at Frederiksplein, where there's another confusing array of tram stops. We select a vantage point overlooking the whole junction and wait. So far we've seen nothing of Hestia on any tram but then we spot her approaching from an unexpected direction. It turns out she followed us on foot!

Our reunited little band now crosses the Singelgracht and arrives at the end of the Albert Cuyp Market. Some cruising around the stalls commences but without much enthusiasm. It emerges that nobody is very interested in shopping now we're here so we set off again towards Yo-Yo, a little early.

Yo-Yo

We're soon joined by others until we have a nice little gathering going. Cool_Chillum, Drugsbunny, Mr & Mrs CopenhagenCouple, Hestia, Trad, Mr & Mrs TransApenninesCouple, their dog Tor and me.

It's always great to welcome first timers to our gatherings. A couple of days ago I met Marok21 and now Cool_Chillum and TransApenninesCouple gives me three new names to add to my epic list of 420 Veterans. I make that an incredible 151 forum members that I've met over the years and the real number is probably even higher. That's only at 4/20 too, there's a few more, such as Doody, that I've met at other times.

Along with Ballonnetje, Yo-Yo is one my old favourites so it's cool to spend some time here with excellent company. We chill for most of a couple of hours before a move to the Plug Lounge is suggested.

Some head off on pushbikes while I lead the rest to the tram stop on Van Woustraat. Most are taking the tram and I suggest the Dam stop as closest to Plug Lounge. That just leaves the very keenest of us to walk back into the city centre.

It seems that even the back of my hand is unfamiliar in my stoned state as I take a wrong turn at Muntplein and start down Vijzelstraat. A quick course correction and we're soon at Plug Lounge.

Inside we find another brilliant little party going on. And cake!! RoMoney has somehow organised this wonderful chocolate cake and even has napkins and forks! The cake is delicious and the catering very impressive.

RoMoney's cake in Plug Lounge

I note Cool_Chillum, Drugsbunny, Gapie, Hestia, Mr & Mrs Macky, RoMoney, Trad and me. I get some beers. Somehow Gapie loses his beer to Cool_Chillum. I get Gapie another one.

Having hung out with everyone for a while, I pop out briefly to my apartment for some cheap calorie intake (cheese and rocket sandwich). Then a short stroll taking photos on my way back to Plug Lounge.

Blauwburgwal

Still in Plug Lounge I find Drugsbunny, RoMoney and the last slice of his cake.

I get a text message from a mate of mine in the UK. It seems he and his son have ridden over on their motorbikes and are now staying down by the Oosterpark. I tell tem to join us at Plug Lounge. When they come in it's quite a weird experience for me. I'm used to seeing him in an old pub back in our little backwater home. Seeing him here in Amsterdam is incongruous. Two worlds mixed up as in a dream. Must be stoned again.

This little Flytlab Lift came with a rubber sheath that I've found is very handy for storing the poking tool.

In time the crew changes. My mate and son have moved on and Trad and Gapie have come in. We get a message from some more of our crew at The Black Dog. They suggest we join them there. It takes us a while to get ourselves together but eventually we head off in search of this new venue.

The Black Dog

There's no sign of the others when we get there so Gapie, Trad and me have a quick drink and spliff before moving to Batavia.

Batavia is remarkably empty for a Friday night, although it is about 2am now. It does give me the chance to take lots of pictures inside.

Batavia

Gapie attempts to fill the space.

That's it for another excellent day. 4/20 tomorrow.
Sanchez_

Post by Sanchez_ »

Excellent update Lem! I was also present at Balloon :wink:
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Sanchez_ wrote: Wed 16th Oct 2019 06:26 pm Excellent update Lem! I was also present at Balloon :wink:
Sorry mate. Corrected now.
TransApenninesCouple

Post by TransApenninesCouple »

Finally you gave birth ... October was the right month! Beautiful travelogues and great photos, I finally saw the Mackys! Six months to the next 420 and we expect to be there again. Too bad we didn't arrive in time for the Balloon! :D :mrgreen:
Last edited by TransApenninesCouple on Wed 16th Oct 2019 09:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Excellent write up so far there Lemming, with some cracking photos of the session tables full of jars and grinders and a lovely looking chocolate cake, brilliant, looks a great time was had, and Gapie still going strong at 2am there :mrgreen:
I can not wait for the next instalment now, enjoying reading this whilst having a vape. Thanks for sharing :D
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Thanks all. 4/20 coming ...