ACD Forum's 4/20 Gathering 2019

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
Lemming
Site Admin

Re: ACD Forum's 4/20 Gathering 2019

Post by Lemming »

Day 5 - Saturday 20th April 2019

Yet again the sun is shining. It looks like a wonderful 4/20 day is in prospect. Messages are flying around. RoMoney is working on a campaign to capture the big table at the back of 420 Cafe. Many are planning a visit to an event at Noorderlicht Cafe, across the IJ, first. Various rendezvous at Voyagers at different times en route to the ferry are being proposed.

It looks like everyone will have moved on before the original suggestion of 1pm at Voyagers but I feel I should at least poke my head in there first. So, I cross the Damrak, find no one at Voyagers and continue under the tracks at the eastern end of Centraal Station.

IJ

In the above picture we're looking along the IJ towards the North Sea. Centraal Station is out of frame to the left. A’dam Tower and the Eye are on the right. In the distance, the tall building on the south bank is Pontsteiger and the cranes of NDSM are just visible on the north bank.

I walk along the waterfront to the NDSM ferry terminal and board a ferry. I like riding the IJ ferries, although this one is quite crowded.

NDSM is very different to the centre of Amsterdam. Whereas in the centre everything is squashed together, here there are huge buildings with vast spaces in between.

My understanding is that Noorderlicht is at the end of NDSM-Plein, one of the main drags through here. As I approach the end I encounter a checkpoint that appears to be the entrance to another event. I get chatting to a lady pushing a bike who is trying to get to the same place as me. She has a conversation in Dutch with the security guy and receives directions. The pair of us then walk back to the centre of NDSM and on towards the rear, almost as far as Funny People.

We're now in a stream of people being channelled towards something. Hopefully the right thing. We seem some distance away from Noorderlicht so maybe the event is at a different venue.

NDSM

As I contemplate this prospect, I suddenly spot a bunch of familiar faces walking the other way. There's Cool_Chillum, Danny211204, Drugsbunny, Matty223, RoMoney and Smirks. They confirm that this is indeed the right place and that there are still a couple of members inside but that they are moving to Baba for a quick stop before 420.

I decide to join them and we make our way back to the ferry terminal where we encounter more confusion. One of the ferries is clearly going to Centraal Station so we get on the other one, assuming it must be bound for Westerdok.

The ferry docks and I manage to get all the way up the ramp before I realise we're not where I expected to be. I turn, as if towards Baba from the old Westerdok terminal, and see a tower.

Pontsteiger

After grabbing this picture, I turn back the other way again because Baba must be in the opposite direction if we're here. The ferry route has clearly changed since last year. We're about the same distance from Baba but I don't know the exact way from here. Fortunately Smirks is on the case and has already plotted a course on his phone.

Turn right here

A short stroll and we all pile into Baba. This relatively new shop has continued to develop with seemingly more carvings and a nice graphic on the front window. As usual, I can't remember what we consumed here (sorry, maybe others can fill in) but I know I was extremely stoned all day.

Inside Baba

Although we haven't been here for long, it's already approaching 3 o'clock and we're quite a long way from 420 Cafe. The consensus seems to be to walk, rather than ferry via NDSM. This party of seven is not going to march at my pace (nobody does, to be fair!) so we start to consider moving.

It's a lovely day for a walk. There's a clear blue sky as we pass Westerdok, along Haarlemmerstraat and onto Nieuwendijk.

Westerdok

Arriving at 420 Cafe, we find it very busy inside. Not only is it 4/20 but it's also Saturday and Easter weekend. It's not 4:20 yet so we decide to pop next door for a beer.

The Bottle

Outside The Bottle we find an ACD session has already commenced in the narrow alleyway. Settled in we now have Cool_Chillum, Mr & Mrs CopenhagenCouple, Hestia, RoMoney, Sanchez_, Smirks, Trad and me. Then we're briefly joined by Talkrum, so that's another member I've met to add to my list.

From The Bottle I pop into Plug Lounge with a few of the crew and then drop by the apartment on my way to Paradox.

I get a message from Captain James to say that the boat is outside Greenhouse Centrum rather than Keizersgracht. This is a bit of a pain because everyone is meeting at Paradox, some distance from Greenhouse Centrum. It's a bit late to change the venue now so I head off to Paradox and prepare for herding cats across town.

In Paradox we scurry around gathering pieces of Volcano until we've assembled one working example. We fill a few small bags before somebody finds a mega-bag.

Paradox

All of this vaping is probably not conducive to successful cat herding and we already seem a little short of bodies, although I'm way beyond being able to count.

For the second time today we need to get a party across town by a specific time. As yesterday, trams are only helpful for one stop in the right direction so all those of us without bikes are walking. Chances of cats in canals seem high.

So far this year we've been remarkably efficient and punctual, as if we're not stoned enough. Now I think we may be back to our usual shambolic form.

We set off from Paradox already lacking some people. As we cross the Keizersgracht, Mr CC says the TransApenninesCouple are unaware of the new departure point. We're now close to the jetty where we were originally supposed to be boarding but we're running late so I ask Mr CC to check the jetty on his bike.

At this point I wonder whether we're about to lose more people but I'm looking in the wrong direction. Unbeknownst to me at the time, Trad has stopped for a cigarette. The bike crew shoot off in one direction and us walkers in another, oblivious to the fact that we've left Trad behind.

We arrive outside Greenhouse Centrum a bit late. The CopenhagenCouple and TransApenninesCouple have made it but we still only seem to have 8 of the 12 people who said they were coming. Apparently Hestia is out due to injury. We lost Trad along the way and nobody has seen the Mackys all day. Cool_Chillum makes our numbers up to 9 and we climb aboard.

The refurbished boat is ridiculously smart. Shiny woodwork and padded seats. I've got a great picture of Smirks looking very relaxed in the throne at the stern. You'll have to imagine that unless he says I can post it.

We sail off in daylight. First out east, past 't-Kromhout Museum and around Plantage Muidergracht.

The boat clock is always right.

I've got a great picture of the TransApenninesCouple with a sinking sun behind. You'll have to imagine that one too. [If anyone wants the pictures of yourselves, just bung me an email, incidentally].

Staalmeestersbrug

I've taken loads of pictures of this Zuiderkerk vista from the bridge over the years. Now as we sail under it I get a different angle.

Meanwhile, in the cabin, all of the kit is out.

As it gets dark I have a quick go at capturing the lights on the bridges.

The final session of the day is at Batavia with Drugsbunny, Gapie, Matty223, Smirks, Trad and me.

Haarlem tomorrow.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Excellent write up again @Lemming :D. I really enjoy reading a good travelogue and its even better if it has great photo's to tie the story together, thanks for sharing :)
Chase the Green to live the Dream :mrgreen: 8) :D
AzLaker

Post by AzLaker »

Ghost wrote: Fri 25th Oct 2019 06:29 pm Excellent write up again @Lemming :D. I really enjoy reading a good travelogue and its even better if it has great photo's to tie the story together, thanks for sharing :)
+1 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thanks Lemming

AzLaker
8)
If you never do, you'll never know.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Day 6 - Sunday 21st April 2019

I'm awake quite early by my standards. It's a lovely day again. We're supposed to be meeting in Voyagers at noon for an excursion to Haarlem but it's only about 10:30 now. I post a message on the live thread asking whether anyone is about and DeLekkersteNUGS16 suggests HSB.

I find DeLekkersteNUGS16 in an otherwise deserted room downstairs at Hill Street Blues.

Hill Street Blues

In time we're joined by Mr & Mrs CopenhagenCouple, RoMoney and Sanchez_. All of the kit comes out and a serious session begins.

It's very cool here in great company but it's time for me to catch up with the rest of the crew over at Voyagers. I find everyone outside on the Geldersekade side of the shop. Variously milling about we have Cool_Chillum, Drugsbunny, Hestia, Highlyblessed, Matty223, Smirks and Trad.

We're supposed to be departing for Haarlem at 1 o'clock but people are getting restless and we're not expecting anyone else to join us so we set off a bit early. Unfortunately we discover later that Gapie was planning to join and missed us by 10 minutes. Sorry Stan. So, now we have Cool_Chillum, Drugsbunny, Smirks, Trad and me on a train bound for Haarlem.

Freewheelin' Trad

From the station we make our way to the Spaarne River and then follow its west bank, past the Adriaan windmill on the opposite bank and into Willie Wortel's Indica.

Willie Wortel's Indica

Once we've been buzzed in to the main room we're thrilled to find Nol [RIP] is in the house. He says he's pleased to see us but that it's a surprise and he's just about to set off for Spain. Before he leaves he introduces his friend Robo, who is nursing a dabbing rig, which he tells us was made by an American glassblower in Spain for OG Glass.

He also shows us an amazing video on his phone. It features the giant bong, now in a glass case on the wall of this shop, being powered by a vacuum cleaner and drained by a guy with huge lungs. It reminds me of watching someone tackle a yard of ale.

A yard of weed?

I've spotted a Volcano so I ask at the bar for a bag to go with it. I'm impressed to see the mouthpiece getting steam cleaned at the coffee machine. Very classy!

There's another effort to get the model railway near the ceiling running. The remote control for it has been found but it's still not working. Apparently the guy who maintains it is not around so we have to give up and get back to getting even more stoned.

It's wonderful to see Nol again. Obviously we have no idea that this will be the last time (in case you don't know, the great man passed far too young in July).

Returning to Robo, he not only has his dabbing rig, he also has an industrial-looking rosin press, the Robosquisher. This thing looks serious and he's happy to demonstrate it.

The Robosquisher

Robo switches it on. Temperature gauges spring into life and a spotlight illuminates the plates.

Trad operates the hydraulic pump while Robo watches the pressure gauge.

Trad's photo of the end product

We're having a glorious afternoon. We're now lined up on the stools by the window overlooking the windmill with big cheesy grins. The feeling of collective euphoria is palpable as the conversation includes whether there is anywhere in the world that we'd rather be at this moment. Smirks gets his drumsticks out and beats his electronic drum pad to emphasise the point.

We've been here several hours and all good things must end. Most of us are ready to get back to Amsterdam. We leave Cool_Chillum exploring Haarlem and head back to the station.

Back at the apartment I'm sneezing like hay fever. That's not supposed to happen in April! Ah well.

Evening finds us in Plug Lounge again. We've got Drugsbunny, Gapie, Matty223, Smirks and Trad but the music is crap. Eventually last survivors Gapie, Trad and me move to Black Dog where we join the CopenhagenCouple for a last beer and joint of the night.

Me outside Black Dog

The music here is much more to my taste but, sat outside, we can't hear it.

And so ends another lovely day.

Some members have already gone home and more are leaving tomorrow. A meet at Plug Lounge is proposed as the first stop for tomorrow.
Trad

Post by Trad »

Excellent report Lemming, as always. That's a rare picture of me upright and walking. Haha
Really looking forward to the 'Day that Broke Gapie' hahaha
Amazing that you are almost finished the trip report and it's still 2019.
If I don't see you no more in this world, I'll meet you on the next one.
JMH
HitTheNorth

Post by HitTheNorth »

Thanks Lemming. These latest installments have provided excellent reading material for my wake n bake. Brilliant!
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Day 7 - Monday 22nd April 2019

Needless to say, the sun is shining yet again as I step out onto Spuistraat. Some local wildlife crosses my path.

... with clogs on?

I'm heading for the Plug Lounge, where Smirks and the CCs say they'll be stopping off on their way home.

Inside Plug Lounge I find Cool_Chillum, Mr & Mrs CopenhagenCouple, DeLekkersteNUGS16, Gapie, Hestia, Matty223, Smirks and Trad. This must be just about everyone still in town. Excellent turnout.

Plug waffle and fried chicken

Several people are munching, including on the fabled chicken / waffle combo. It looks weird to me but then I am vegetarian.

We settle in for another intense session, seeing off some ACD heroes in style. Our party has pretty much taken over the place.

After about 3 hours, our mission is accomplished. I stagger back to the apartment for calories before returning to the Lounge to lead an exodus to 420 Cafe. Amongst those still in town, a desire has been expressed to make a pilgrimage to 420 on this quieter day.

We stroll past Homegrown Fantaseeds and El Guapo.

Homegrown Fantaseeds

420 Cafe

In 420 Cafe we grab the round table in the rear section and get rolling. These are the last pictures I will take today. From here on it's all a bit hazy.

Trad and Gapie

For Trad and me it's our last full day in town so we're ready to get a bit crazy. We recruit Gapie to join us on an adventure in stonedness.

First we pop into Batavia and then set off on a crawl along Haarlemmerstraat in search of Volcanoes.

We try Amsterdamned (formerly Picasso) and CoffeeshopAmsterdam (formerly Pink Floyd) on our way to finding a nice clean Volcano at Greenhouse Whatever It Calls Itself These Days.

This Volcano gets well used before we stagger over to Barney's Uptown for more beer, joints and vapes. Things are getting very messy.

Somehow we find our way back to Plug Lounge where Gapie is pronounced dead. He's broken, like a malfunctioning robot, muttering constantly. Trad is particularly proud that we old tourists have destroyed the young local. Sorry again Stan.

Trad and I see Gapie to the bus stop and then go in search of more beer and better music. We trust that Gapie will manage to find his way home and are a bit bored with the Lounge.

Somewhat randomly we find ourselves in Smoking Bull. This turns out better than expected. There's some cool music playing so we prop up the bar with more beer, joints and vapes. A message from Gapie reassures us that he's safely home so we continue consuming.

It's a weekday, we're the only people in the bar and it's officially closing time. The barmaid should be bored with listening to our slurred conversation and impatient to switch off the music and close up. Instead, the kind lady says the music is staying on and offers us another drink. We carry on to the bitter end before we're finally spat out onto the street. Suitably smashed, we head off to our respective accommodations.

Nearly time to return to reality. Airport tomorrow but may manage to squeeze in a little smoke first.
macky

Post by macky »

Awesome Lem :D You set the bar for reports 8) Sorry I had ear infection and was down and out for 420 day,shit happens :D
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

What a cracking read this has been, thanks very much for sharing Lemming, I have really enjoyed reading your write up. :D :D
squidgyblack

Post by squidgyblack »

Smoking Bull looks like a good place to drink, smoke and watch the footy, great story, thanks for posting the link too.
Trad

Post by Trad »

Excellent writing again Lemming, thank you.
The night we broke Gapie.😲😲
He had his head down on the bar and was muttering, when he ordered water we knew what we had done. The bartender told us he had never heard Gapie order water. 😂🤣😂🤣🥃🤣😂🥃
Great night.
If I don't see you no more in this world, I'll meet you on the next one.
JMH
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Trad wrote: Wed 13th Nov 2019 03:22 am Excellent writing again Lemming, thank you.
The night we broke Gapie.😲😲
He had his head down on the bar and was muttering, when he ordered water we knew what we had done. The bartender told us he had never heard Gapie order water. 😂🤣😂🤣🥃🤣😂🥃
Great night.
I liked that part that was = The bartender told us he had never heard Gapie order water. 😂🤣😂🤣🥃🤣😂🥃 had me cracking up :D
gapie

Post by gapie »

:oops: oops :oops:
GetHigh,DoStuff&Dont give a FUCK!
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

I'm trying to get the last bit of this done before the end of the year...
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

The last episode will include the traditional cast list. I've just updated the 420 Veterans list too.