420 2020

Planning a trip to the Netherlands? Post the details here.
Ghost

Re: 420 2020

Post by Ghost »

AudioKush wrote: Mon 6th Jan 2020 01:23 pm Stoked for 420 this year! We will be setting up rosin pressing somewhere. Where, it is too early to tell! But we can assure you it will get squishy!
What Rosin Press will you be using for this? What temps and for how long do you press for? What are the size of the micron bags that you use?

As some one who has been pressing quality hash and flower for over 5 years now I would be interested in seeing this in action, as I have been in coffeeshops when they have been pressing and wasn't really overly impressed with their knowledge or the way the products were packed and pressed and the temps and micron bag size that was used during the process.

Also will you be bringing some quality product to be pressed or using stuff off the menu's at coffeeshops? most of that is not worth pressing anyway!!

Chase the Green to live the Dream :mrgreen: 8) :D
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

Ghost wrote: Mon 6th Jan 2020 04:52 pm
AudioKush wrote: Mon 6th Jan 2020 01:23 pm Stoked for 420 this year! We will be setting up rosin pressing somewhere. Where, it is too early to tell! But we can assure you it will get squishy!
What Rosin Press will you be using for this? What temps and for how long do you press for? What are the size of the micron bags that you use?

As some one who has been pressing quality hash and flower for over 5 years now I would be interested in seeing this in action, as I have been in coffeeshops when they have been pressing and wasn't really overly impressed with their knowledge or the way the products were packed and pressed and the temps and micron bag size that was used during the process.

Also will you be bringing some quality product to be pressed or using stuff off the menu's at coffeeshops? most of that is not worth pressing anyway!!
What temp, micron filter, and pressure do you use? I’m just a curious person looking for a way to home made concentrate 8) :mrgreen:
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

*gets pen and paper*
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Willjay wrote: Mon 6th Jan 2020 07:59 pm

What temp, micron filter, and pressure do you use? I’m just a curious person looking for a way to home made concentrate 8) :mrgreen:
1st off I would just like to apologize to AudioKush as the way I worded my question came across a bit aggressive and that is not how it was meant, it was just a question on how they press for their Rosin, from someone who is always looking for new techniques and ideas. After all Rosin Pressing is all about experimentation and learning from one another. I would love to have a squish session with you and exchange knowledge on Rosin Techniques over 420.

Hi Willjay, what press are you using? I will give a few tips that I have learnt over the years, some good and some bad :lol:

1. The quality of the product to be pressed is Key, I find that fresh bud with a good cure is the best for pressing. (Not dry or old material) for the best product return. Any material can be pressed though.

2. I use a number of temps, depending on what I am pressing, but I like my rosin to have a more badder/budder consistency which is obtained from a Colder press of around 160F - 190F and pressed for anywhere from 1 minute to 5 minutes, depending on strain being pressed. I find this normally gives a smaller return.

3. If you like a more oily / shatter consistency then you should be Hot Pressing between 190F - 220F for anywhere between 30 seconds - 3 minutes, but you can vary the temps and times to suit your own needs. I find these temps to give the best returns on your press and still maintain a reasonable amount of flavour. Between 210F - 220F are good temps, but I also know people that will press up to 250F.

4. I always puck my product even if it is being used with a micron bag, but you don't have to place flower in a micron bag, you can just press this straight into the parchment, but you may get a little bit of contamination like this, but not always. Always use a Micron bag with Kief though.

5. I use a combination of micron bags from 90 Micron up to 115 Micron. The 90u bag gives a great filtration and has the highest quality return on your product. The 115u bag is what I use the most if I am after a better return on my product and to still maintain a reasonable quality and flavour. Buy a quality set of bags, do not over-pack the bags and make sure material is evenly distributed, sometimes I turn the bag inside out, so the seam is on the outside, which also helps with bag blowouts.

Pressure of Press depends on the press you are using, as some people only use a set of hair straighteners, but I find the best returns are from 550 psi up to 1500 psi press's and much more over this is overkill. But I may be wrong on that front.

The Temps and Press Times I have given are all guidelines and you need to experiment with your press and times to see what suits you best and what consistency you like yourself. Rosin Pressing is all about experimenting and sharing your ideas, so if you do have any techniques or idea's I would love to hear them :D

Hope this helps a little and happy pressing buddy :mrgreen:
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

Thanks Ghost, I was one of those guys with the hair straighteners and clamps, was never satisfied with my results. Guess maybe I’ll have to improve my equipment, thanks for your advice, especially on the temperature. I have found, buying through the state That the “budder” smoked better than the “shatter” in my smoking pen
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
AudioKush

Post by AudioKush »

Ghost, thanks for the interaction!

As 420 is a bit down the road, I can't confirm which press we will be using. In USA our sponsor is Nectar Press and we use their 12-ton Pneumatic Press. Currently, we do not have a press sponsor for our EU events, but that is work in progress! Last year we used a Nug Smasher XP for our Squish The Summer High series. Currently we are running a custom 5-ton press for smaller events as it is pretty portable but still nice pressure.

Hash: Low temp and slow pressure to avoid blow outs. I start at at around 160°F and will go up to 180°F. I tend to use 25-75u for hash. It all depends on the starting material though. Sometimes I will go in hotter with heavier pressure, or vice versa.

Flower: You can put more pressure and temp with this. I tend to press at much lower temps that most. I start at 185°F for flower and will go up to as high as 225°F (on 2nd presses). I still like to go as low as possible for the most terpene preservation. You can always increase the temp if needed, but you can't go backwards! Terps are a big thing for me when it comes to concentrates. You don't even need bags for flower, esp small amounts. But if I need to I will use between 120-180u.

When we press inside the shops, I try to make sure that I am only provided material that will press something quality. I like to use product from the menu, as that allows us to promote the shop. However, we tend to have other samples to press as well. I have been extracting cannabinoids since the mid 2000s. I am well aware of what starting material is necessary for a decent yield. Unfortunately, as you say, there are some low yielding products on menus. This is why I like to steer towards hazes. On avg, Amnesia presses out around 20% compared to hot demand strains. It's also lower in price, so its a great way for guests to spend low amounts and still press some fire!

Hope to see you out at one of the pressings man. We host several all year long. This Friday we will be at The Bushdocter.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Ghost, thanks for the interaction!

Hope to see you out at one of the pressings man. We host several all year long. This Friday we will be at The Bushdocter.
[/quote]

Hey @AudioKush thanks for the reply man and some interesting points. I hear what you are saying about promoting the shops that you are pressing in and that makes sense to me. A 20 percent return is a pretty good return man, i normally am around 20-25 percent myself on returns depending on starting material and temps.

I am afraid i will not be in town until April 420, so will not be able to catch your press session at the Bushdoctor. Hope it is a good day for you man :D but will definitely catch up with you over 420 for a squish session and a chat if possible man and some rosin dabs :D good times/good vibes :D
AudioKush

Post by AudioKush »

Ghost wrote: Tue 7th Jan 2020 08:56 pm Ghost, thanks for the interaction!

Hey @AudioKush thanks for the reply man and some interesting points. I hear what you are saying about promoting the shops that you are pressing in and that makes sense to me. A 20 percent return is a pretty good return man, i normally am around 20-25 percent myself on returns depending on starting material and temps.

I am afraid i will not be in town until April 420, so will not be able to catch your press session at the Bushdoctor. Hope it is a good day for you man :D but will definitely catch up with you over 420 for a squish session and a chat if possible man and some rosin dabs :D good times/good vibes :D
[/quote]

Thanks dude! It is shaping up to be a fun year of presses for sure. Look forward to meeting in person and having a dab sesh!
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Willjay wrote: Tue 7th Jan 2020 03:55 pm Thanks Ghost, I was one of those guys with the hair straighteners and clamps, was never satisfied with my results. Guess maybe I’ll have to improve my equipment, thanks for your advice, especially on the temperature. I have found, buying through the state That the “budder” smoked better than the “shatter” in my smoking pen
No problem Willjay, yes sir, I started with the hair straighteners initially and then upgraded to a proper press as my needs increased for better returns and better quality, yeah the temps just play around with them and see what suits you best, it helps if you have a nice amount of product to work with as loses then are not so hard to take. :mrgreen:. Some of my favourite press's have been from Sativa's one in particular comes to mind called Mountain Temple from Bodhi Seeds which came out golden yellow and had a smell and taste to die for, sadly this is not in my stable anymore, but may return one day.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Looks like we'll be there Thursday 16th to Wednesday 22nd.
More soon, including official thread (not that there's anything wrong with this one but got to keep up tradition) and countdown.
So, who else is coming? What are we going to do?
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

I love a good synchronicity!

* On my last day in Amsterdam in April 2019 I went on a quick expedition out to the Eastern Islands to grab pictures of Nogal Wiedes. I wrote about this in my travelogue quite recently. We also sailed along the Nieuwevaart on 4/20 Day last year. Now it turns out we'll be staying down there this year.

It's a bit of a walk into the centre but very convenient for the cluster of shops around the windmill and Brouwerij 't IJ, i.e. Happy People, Eastwood and Trefpunt. Fairly close to Het Ballonnetje too, which is handy.

* We're almost getting the band back together! AzLaker, Lafe and I are veterans of our very first Gathering way back in 2006. It's amazing that this will be our 15th Gathering and the three of us are planning to be there again. Also brilliant that Matty is coming again, one of our most frequent participants and that I'll finally get to meet Ghost, who I missed in the 'volcano year'.

* At that first Gathering in 2006 I was accompanied by my then new partner, known here as 'J'. She went on to come to many more 420s during the years that we were together. This year, logistics permitting, I hope to be bringing my new partner, whom we might call Igraine. I'm looking forward to showing her around my favourite city and introducing her to whomever of you manage to join us.

Circles and cycles eh? I love it!
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Lemming wrote: Wed 15th Jan 2020 06:07 pm I love a good synchronicity!

* On my last day in Amsterdam in April 2019 I went on a quick expedition out to the Eastern Islands to grab pictures of Nogal Wiedes. I wrote about this in my travelogue quite recently. We also sailed along the Nieuwevaart on 4/20 Day last year. Now it turns out we'll be staying down there this year.

It's a bit of a walk into the centre but very convenient for the cluster of shops around the windmill and Brouwerij 't IJ, i.e. Happy People, Eastwood and Trefpunt. Fairly close to Het Ballonnetje too, which is handy.

* We're almost getting the band back together! AzLaker, Lafe and I are veterans of our very first Gathering way back in 2006. It's amazing that this will be our 15th Gathering and the three of us are planning to be there again. Also brilliant that Matty is coming again, one of our most frequent participants and that I'll finally get to meet Ghost, who I missed in the 'volcano year'.

* At that first Gathering in 2006 I was accompanied by my then new partner, known here as 'J'. She went on to come to many more 420s during the years that we were together. This year, logistics permitting, I hope to be bringing my new partner, whom we might call Igraine. I'm looking forward to showing her around my favourite city and introducing her to whomever of you manage to join us.

Circles and cycles eh? I love it!
Great :D

Also got the coffeeshop The Stud down that way, which I like to pop in to when ever I am in town. Maybe we could combine a few of them shops for a session one day, visiting Eastwood and Het Ballonnetje and Happy People, depending what everyone wants to do.

Looking forward to meeting yourself and all the other ACD members that are in town for 420, AZLaker, Lafe and Matty and hopefully we will get a few more jump on board as we get closer to the time.

Will look forward to maybe meeting your new partner also, as you say Circles and Cycles :D
FlyByNite

Post by FlyByNite »

Lemming wrote: Wed 15th Jan 2020 12:46 am Looks like we'll be there Thursday 16th to Wednesday 22nd.
Posted on the April Whos In Town page.

Enjoy
FlyByNite
Smirks

Post by Smirks »

Not sure I’ll be able to make it this year, but will try.
Occasional Bowl

Post by Occasional Bowl »

Probably won't be able to make 420 2020 but hoping to be back in the 'Dam sometime this year.
Hang on to your head