Virus

Anything else.

Moderator: Balou

RoMoney

Re: Virus

Post by RoMoney »

I highly recommend this podcast to better understand the virus.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw

Numbers are definitely under reported as many people carry it without showing symptoms. Youngest person to die has been 46, most are much older. Lots of kids could have it and we would never know hence the WHO advice of Test, test, test, would seem to be the best approach.

I'm in Spain where lockdown does not seem to be as bad as Italy. You can go out and about without being questioned but less people around, most shops closed except for supermarkets, pharmacies and bakeries. I get a special letter (new one every day) to show when going to work, but only people asked to show this from my job are people who travel in from outside of Barcelona. Queuing one metre apart to enter the supermarket and being given hand sanitizer and glove when entering is quite surreal, but it's amazing how orderly people are and everyone seems to be coping well with it despite the obviously somber mood. I did thoroughly enjoy the latino guy blaring latin music from a big JBL speaker on his balcony on Carrer de Vila Vila in Poble Sec, could hear the music in the distance and as I got closer I saw his neighbours out dancing on their balconies. It was such a simple but feel good moment amid bad vibes on the recent days. Humans we are resilient when we need to be and while not much good will come from the Coronavirus, it might make us reassess whats really important in life.

Ireland shut things down early, which I think was sensible, only two deaths reported in Ireland at present. After Brexit for the first time in my life I thought Ireland was less of a shambles than the UK and once again with the Corona response I felt the same. Hardly surprising that the Eton elite fancy their chances if Corona rips through the UK population. Leaving things open will invariably cause more people to catch the virus and will not help flatten the curve which seems to be the phrase of the day. If you don't flatten the curve quickly there's no country with a health system that can cope with the volume of people needing care, ventilators etc.. In Italy they have been deciding who to save and who not to, very stark decisions to be making.

I feel like I'm living through a crazy time in history, many bizarre moments here in the past days, it's like one of those epidemic movies. Markets may be crumbling, but the average joe doesn't own shares, so it's only losses for the 1%. Fuck bailing out industries, I'm reminded of the great phrase doing the rounds in Ireland during the financial crisis, capitalism without bankruptcy is like Catholicism without hell.

Stay safe folks!

Bring back Imelda Marcos!
Tokeing tom

Post by Tokeing tom »

Capitalism without bankruptcy is like Catholicism without hell :lol: :lol: :lol: brilliant
Tokeing tom

Post by Tokeing tom »

Jumbo jet with 5 passengers on board: Donald Trump, Borris Johnson, the Pope, Michale D Higgins ,and a 10 year old school boy. The plane is about to crash. There are only 4 parachutes . Trump says I need one American first, and he takes one and jumps . The Pope says I'm the pontiff I need one so he takes one and jumps, Borris says I'm the smartest man in England I need one so he takes it and jumps. Michale D says to the boy ,you take the last one I'm old and I've lived a good life yours is only starting . The boy replies dont worry Michale theres 2 parachutes left...the smartest man in England just took my school bag :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy paddy's day everyone...stay stoned
Sanchez_

Post by Sanchez_ »

:lol:
Tokeing tom wrote: Tue 17th Mar 2020 11:58 am Jumbo jet with 5 passengers on board: Donald Trump, Borris Johnson, the Pope, Michale D Higgins ,and a 10 year old school boy. The plane is about to crash. There are only 4 parachutes . Trump says I need one American first, and he takes one and jumps . The Pope says I'm the pontiff I need one so he takes one and jumps, Borris says I'm the smartest man in England I need one so he takes it and jumps. Michale D says to the boy ,you take the last one I'm old and I've lived a good life yours is only starting . The boy replies dont worry Michale theres 2 parachutes left...the smartest man in England just took my school bag :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy paddy's day everyone...stay stoned
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Seems my rant about testing was a bit behind the times as W.H.O. had already been saying test, test, test!

Crazy to look back at the first time I posted about the threat to 4/20 just 3 weeks ago. So much has happened since then.

Some info I was passed from a professional on the front line in London if you're interested: "I’ve seen quite a few people with Covid 19 since Sunday. The vast majority are fine. They seem to have one week of fever, a few days of dry cough and then sometimes breathlessness on day 8 or 9. Most people are fine to stay at home and recover in about 10 days. If it is going to be bad it is around day 9 or 10 and the breathlessness gets rapidly worse at that point."
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

We have a solution!

This story was reported in the Financial Times and probably other places.

A small town in Italy has repeatedly tested its entire population of around 3000. It's then strictly quarantined those infected and their contacts.

Amongst others, they found people who were infected but showing no symptoms. That meant they were able to stop the invisible spread, as well as the obvious.

They started this in late February and now have no cases whatsoever.

If this was somehow scaled up to cover the whole planet we could kill off the virus altogether without even needing a cure or a vaccine.

Obviously testing 8 billion people is an almost impossible task but not doing so is going to cost thousands, maybe millions, of lives and crash the world economy so surely it's worth throwing unlimited resources at it.
Comus

Post by Comus »

i just crunched the numbers provided by John Hopkins Uni and the current survival rate for the virus in the Netherlands is less than 0.001% :shock:
I'm in shocks and stares
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

Comus wrote: Wed 18th Mar 2020 03:32 pm i just crunched the numbers provided by John Hopkins Uni and the current survival rate for the virus in the Netherlands is less than 0.001% :shock:
What numbers might that be? That sounds absolutely ridiculous, there's probably a misunderstanding in either how the numbers are communicated or interpreted. Are you sure it isn't numbers for those reported to have become well again? Here in DK we have only one officially confirmed guy who's gotten well, but approx. 1000 infected, but that is from the fact that they don't necessarily report all cases and that it takes a while to get the "complete well / all clear confirmation".
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
Comus

Post by Comus »

keep your pants on dude ... i was taking the piss out of the stats :lol:

the figures will clearly readjust as time goes on .... i feckin' hope anyway :shock:
I'm in shocks and stares
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Funny man :mrgreen:

There's so much BS out there regarding the situation, we really wouldn't be surprised if it was quoted like that... :roll:
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
Comus

Post by Comus »

that was the subtle point i made with my post .... i just used the same government formula to calculate the current survival rate as they use to calculate the current death rate ..... just goes to show that there's lies, damned lies and statistics as the saying goes

trust no-one and leave no left turn unstoned :mrgreen:
I'm in shocks and stares
Comus

Post by Comus »

Oh great! Martial law here we fucking come! :cry:

[media]https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... port-force[/media]
I'm in shocks and stares
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

No new cases in China and love the story in the Italian village that Lem shared, defo the best approach. Korea tested loads as well. Glimmers of hope in these darks days.

I found a bakery selling coffee to go, amazing that being able to get a takeaway coffee made me feel more normal. Shelves in Lidl are also back to normal after the initial panic buying, everything stocked today.
worldcitizen1723

Post by worldcitizen1723 »

Comus wrote: Wed 18th Mar 2020 03:32 pm i just crunched the numbers provided by John Hopkins Uni and the current survival rate for the virus in the Netherlands is less than 0.001% :shock:

hahahahaha
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

More cases appearing in less developed countries.....this thing is going to take a lot of people by the time its finished. Cant wait for 2021.