An entrepreneurship researcher interested in coffeeshops

The place for new members to say hello.
Eli_7

An entrepreneurship researcher interested in coffeeshops

Post by Eli_7 »

Hi community,
I work at Amsterdam Business School (Entrepreneurship department) and I'm starting an independent project on Amsterdam coffeeshops. I had the immense pleasure of skyping with Lemming last spring to learn more and applaud him for this great site :D .

My project analyzes coffeeshops' menus, examining which strains are sold and at what price. I am using the Coffeeshop Menus website as the primary data source (http://www.coffeeshopmenus.org/CoffeeshopMenus.htm#TOP).

Being relatively new to this sector and to Amsterdam, I am of need of the wisdom of the crowd!
- How often do coffeeshops change menu selection? I do not have menu info from coffeeshops every year... can I assume that menus are relatively stable one year to the next? (Over several years, this of course could change.)

- For a given strain, let's say White Widow, do you shop around for the best price?

- Do some products have greater price variance than others?

- If you're a coffeeshop owner, what factors go into choosing to sell a particular product and determine its price?

Thanks so much for any reaction to these initial questions.

Willjay

Re: An entrepreneurship researcher interested in coffeeshops

Post by Willjay »

I won’t be much help, but have you ever seen the old BlueBird menus books? They were cool 8) :mrgreen:
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
Eli_7

Post by Eli_7 »

The ones from the mid-1990s? :)
Can only see those found here: https://www.coffeeshopmenus.org/Bluebir ... ebird.html
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Welcome aboard!

Seems like ages ago we spoke. I thought you must've abandoned that project. Glad it's still going.

That coffeeshop menus site and its webmaster are well known to us here. You should get good advice and info there.
Eli_7

Post by Eli_7 »

Thanks Lemming! Yeah it's a slow burn project :wink: Hope to finish data collection this winter. Though before any analysis takes place, need to better understand the market and what affects price and choice of product selection!