First Solo Trip

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
Deus

First Solo Trip

Post by Deus »

I’ve lost count how many times I’ve been to Amsterdam. But never before have I been by myself. Well, not quite by myself, as my partner was working in Amsterdam for a few weeks, so I decided to take advantage of the free hotel. She works long shifts, so I knew it wouldn’t be like our usual trips.

Day 1

1/6/22

We both flew into Schiphol via Heathrow around 20:00pm local time. Short walk to the cab station, as her work was paying for it. (Usually get the train, as it’s so much cheaper). Arrived in no time to a hotel close to Zuid station. Dropped our bags and headed straight out.

It’s now around 21:30pm, so, we headed straight to Dampkring, as my partner recommended Mantequilla from her previous day trip the week before. We bought a 2/3 day pass, cannot remember now, for metro and tram access. Got the metro from Zuid to the Rokin and was there in 5/10 mins max. Ended up purchasing a gram of Niqa and my partner gets the Mantequilla. Rolled one of each and saved the Niqa for the walk to Terps Army. Arrived at Terps Army around 00:00am, so I decided to make a quick buy and fly and ended up choosing the Kosher Kush, again i rolled one to walk with.

It was so nice to be back after a few years, so we decided we’d walk back to Zuid. I still had the Niqa pre-roll, as we’d completely forgot about it on the way to Terps Army. Thanks to the Mantequilla. Overall, a nice start to the trip, even though I’d missed a huge part of the day.

Day 2

2/6/22

My partner was working from the hotel room, so I decided to head out early. I got on the metro from Zuid to Nieuwmarkt as I wasn’t sure where the nearest tram stop was. I was really hungry, so I decided to try out another Bakers and Roasters I haven’t been to yet. The one closest to central, as the one in the de pijp is usually too busy. Was lucky enough to get a table outside within 10 mins, even without booking. It did get quite busy within the short time I was there, so maybe worth booking before hand just incase. I got the blueberry pancakes and a pot of tea, which I highly recommend by the way. After that I was ready for the day ahead.

Headed to Het Ballonnetje for my morning smoke, as it wasn’t that far from Bakers & Roasters. Eventually I arrive, greeted by a friendly bud-tender. I should’ve asked her for her recommendation, but I really wanted to try the Pint Sized, as it was crossed with Creamsicle, something I’ve not tried before. So, I purchased one gram, bought a drink and sat down at in the corner seat facing the window. I didn’t really enjoy this strain too much, the smell didn’t transfer and I could taste the nutrients. However, apart from the weed, I love this shop. I’ve had many great visits here, and really recommend to try this shop if you haven’t.

After leaving quite stoned, I turned right instead of left and only realised after a good 10 mins I’m heading in the wrong direction. So, the Pint Sized did do the trick after all. Eventually got going in the right direction and headed to The Dampkring via tram.

I bought Muhib this time, as I was after an energetic high, which it was described as on the menu. I found a seat at the bar and proceeded to roll a joint. The Muhib gave me an intense buzz, but a clear and happy one.

Decided to head to the cookie shop (Van Stapele) next door to Tweede Kamer. Highly recommend this place, even though the queue is longer than Boerejongens. Amazing cookies are made here. Headed back to the hotel after for a nap. My partner was still working, but she said she can finish early tonight around 19:00.

After a nap we head out to Rembrandt square to Vapiano’s. Love this place, never been to the one in London, but recommend this place to eat when in Amsterdam. It’s changed quite a bit. You no longer use a card to order with, you now have to place the order yourself via phone. Finally, the food arrived around 45 mins later and as always it was very good.

Headed to Boerejongens after. No queue outside so headed straight in. Purchased a gram of White Choco Haze Block and a gram of Super Silver Haze. Grabbed a seat upstairs and rolled a few for a walk and before we head back to the hotel.
Last edited by Deus on Sun 21st Aug 2022 03:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Tokeing tom

Re: First Solo Trip

Post by Tokeing tom »

Nice read looking forward to more, wish my womans job would send her to Amsterdam :mrgreen:
GreenGold

Post by GreenGold »

Nice job.

Fyi, if you haven't been, I'd recommend de Kade... Close to Zuid
Deus

Post by Deus »

GreenGold wrote: Wed 29th Jun 2022 03:10 pm Nice job.

Fyi, if you haven't been, I'd recommend de Kade... Close to Zuid
Thank you. It’s been on my list for a while. Just haven’t got round to going yet. Not sure why I didn’t venture out to the coffeeshops near by. Will do next time.
Deus

Post by Deus »

Tokeing tom wrote: Wed 29th Jun 2022 02:18 pm Nice read looking forward to more, wish my womans job would send her to Amsterdam :mrgreen:
Thank you. Really appreciate it. I don’t usually go with her when she’s working abroad, but couldn’t say no to Amsterdam :lol:
Tokeing tom

Post by Tokeing tom »

Deus wrote: Thu 30th Jun 2022 12:54 pm
Tokeing tom wrote: Wed 29th Jun 2022 02:18 pm Nice read looking forward to more, wish my womans job would send her to Amsterdam :mrgreen:
Thank you. Really appreciate it. I don’t usually go with her when she’s working abroad, but couldn’t say no to Amsterdam :lol:
Oh stop it u tease "couldn't say no" ... You'll be telling us next they paid for your breakfast too😜
Deus

Post by Deus »

Tokeing tom wrote: Thu 30th Jun 2022 11:49 pm
Deus wrote: Thu 30th Jun 2022 12:54 pm
Oh stop it u tease "couldn't say no" ... You'll be telling us next they paid for your breakfast too😜
Funnily enough, the whole trip was paid for, as I could also claim back my expenses. Just not the weed, hash and flights :lol:

Will try and finish off the rest of the travelogue over the weekend.
Last edited by Deus on Fri 1st Jul 2022 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deus

Post by Deus »

Day 3

3/6/22

Woke up quite late, intentionally, as I don’t usually get to have a lay in. Eventually I make my way out of the hotel with a pre-rolled Muhib. The receptionist also came out at the same time for his break and also had a joint. So, we had a chat for around 30 mins, about various topics. I asked him what coffeeshops he’d recommend, I was intrigued to find out from a younger generations perspective, as he was in his early 20’s and living in Amsterdam. Anyway, he recommended Tweede Kamer and Coffeeshop Johnny for weed. I didn’t make any plans on purpose this trip, so I added Coffeeshop Johnny to my list, as I’m familiar with Tweede Kamer. After a pleasant chat, I head towards Zuid station, stopping first at Broodbakker Simon Meijssen.

I got off at Nieuwmarkt station, turn’t right as I come out of the exit and straight ahead was Coffeeshop Solo. This was my visit to this Coffeeshop, and after reading many reviews, I was excited to see what they had on their menu. I wanted something not too strong, so I decided to go with what was listed as a sativa hash called Lemon Larry OG. I have to mention not only the quality was what I was after, but the customer service is great here too. Andrea made me feel welcome from the moment I walked in. After a quick chat with Andrea and grabbing a bottle of AA, I sat at the counter with the window view and proceeded to roll one.

The hash was light in colour, almost ‘greyish’. It smelt like the used genetics, but also had a natural smell to it. The texture reminded me of the typical block hash you’d find in most coffeeshops, but the smell was stronger (lemon wise) I found in this one compared to others I’ve had in the past. The taste was exactly how it smelled and it gave me a very nice warm floaty buzz, becoming my morning smoke from then on.

Usually when I go to Amsterdam I visit at least one of the main attractions, but I decided to not plan ahead this time and just go with the flow. I had such a busy last few years to be honest studying, I was just glad to be free from work for the first time in a while. So, instead i decided to start Anne Frank’s diary, as it’s been a good few years since I last read it and relax. Unfortunately, tickets were sold out for the days I had left of this visit. Shamefully, in all my visits I’ve never been, but I intend to visit very soon.

It was relatively quiet in Coffeeshop Solo, just a few locals at the back of the shop, having a conversation in Dutch with Andrea. I did notice a steady stream of tourists and locals pop in for a take away, during my short visit. I have to say it quickly became my favourite of the trip so far.

I left after a couple of joints, a good few pages of the diary and headed towards the Spui area for Tweede Kamer. A quick buy and fly from here, sadly only getting one gram of Tbizla, as the Riffman is no longer on the menu. Not sure why I was disappointed, as it’s not been on their menu for a good while now. Quick lunch at Wagamama’s, then made my way back to the Spui for the Dampkring. A repeat purchase of Mantequilla for my partner, rolled a few for the road after trying out the Tbizla.

I walked around for a bit and ended up in search for more food, whilst reminiscing the days when I would be happy to stay around this area with De Graal around the corner and Club Media a stones throw away, I honestly miss those days. Sadly, I don’t really remember the effects or taste, but I do remember I was at the Pofferjes stand in the Albert Cuyp not long after. Popped into Katsu and bought Raw Pollen to try, as I cannot be in the area and not visit.

Headed back to the hotel for a bit, this time using De Pijp metro station. Quick nap and then was off again to watch The Netherlands vs Belgium game at Club Media. Luckily, my partner had the rest of the night off and joined me for the evening. I remember buying Triple Cali Dry Sift and Super Lemon Haze and really enjoying both. It wasn’t the biggest game (nations league), so it wasn’t too busy. I cannot recommend this shop enough, it’s spacious, friendly, comfortable and has good quality products. I do miss the old Champagne Haze however, batches tend to be really poor when I’ve visited the last few times.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

:D Thanks for the write up there Buddy :thumbup: enjoying reading it. That Champagne Haze from Club Media back in the heyday was a banging smoke and I also used to frequent the shop just for that purchase :D but must sadly agree that the Champagne has not been at the highest standard for quite a few years now. I haven't visited the shop since they had their refurb and never made it there over 420 week, so will pay a visit when next in town :D

Have a blast man :mrgreen: :thumbup:
Chase the Green to live the Dream :mrgreen: 8) :D
Deus

Post by Deus »

4/6/22

Day 4

Woke up around 9:00am, my partner was already at work so headed out after a shower and something to eat from the hotel breakfast bar. Headed to the Nieuwmarkt for Coffeeshop Solo. Same menu with maybe one more weed added, ‘Wookie Lemon Glue’, I think it was. I wanted to have a look at the Nicole Kush as I absolutely love this stuff. Anyway, it was an amazing example, the smell, taste and high. Left it for the evening, as I already had pre-rolled joints of Lemon Larry OG and some of the other hash’s I’d bought the previous days.

Left Solo after a couple and headed towards Bakers and Roasters for brunch (central). Had a look at the availability online and was lucky enough to be able to book a table, but first had to wait in a queue of 20 people. Took me 20 mins to walk there, but luckily I was seated basically as soon as I arrived. Pancakes and tea again, then off to read the rest of the Anne Frank diary.

Made my way to the Prinsengracht, because what other better place is there to read her diary then outside the secret annex. It was a nice day and it was busy along the canal, but still managed to find a bench opposite. After finishing her diary I decided to head to Mr K & Co. It was quiet in here, maybe 2 or 3 others. Had a quick chat with the friendly bud-tender and he recommended Lava Cake as the cleanest weed they currently have. Cannot remember the smell and taste tbh, but it did remind me of White Widow or The White, some similarities. It burnt clean, but the high wasn’t strong. Also got Mandarin Cookies as I’m a big fan of orange strain hash. This smelt of the used genetics and also gave a nice high. After a couple of joints I decided to head back towards central.

As I was on my way, I passed Elandsgracht and popped into Coffeeshop Johnny. I hadn’t checked out the menu yet, so I intended to gamble on something. Chose Royal Moroc in the end or it could have been called Blonde Moroc? Honestly cannot remember. Anyway, it was getting late in the afternoon, so I decided to head back for a quick rest back at the hotel before going out for the evening.

Ended up having a chat with the receptionist again and before I knew it, it was pushing 18:00pm. Got my stuff and headed for the metro. Had a walk around the red light area, and decided to go to The Dampkring to roll one. I wasn’t sure where to eat after, so I ended up next door at Cannibale Royale. Fed and ready to continue with my last evening. It was now around 20:30/21:00. So, I went to Coffeeshop Solo for my last Coffeeshop of the evening. Bought more Lemon Larry OG, but decided to roll one from Coffeeshop Johnny I’d just purchased earlier. Well, what an amazing piece of hash it turned out to be. Full flavour and was the creamiest one I’ve had in a very long time. Beautiful high with it too. I noticed a lot of locals tonight, not one seat was left after my first joint. Decided to roll a Nicole Kush next and that’s when I decided it was time to leave after that. I left very high, in a good way.

Must’ve been around 23:00pm now. Headed for the metro only to be told there’s been a problem with the tracks and there’s no more trains tonight running from this line. Walked up to central station and jumped on a tram heading towards Zuid. Got off quite early and walked via Churchillaan, hoping to pass Anne Frank’s original house. It was dark and very quiet around this area. Anyway, I missed it in the end. Probably best to go during the day next time.

5/6/22

Day 5

Last day, quickly left the hotel and made my way back to Solo. Still had quite a bit of hash left, although I intended to leave it with my partner who was heading to Rotterdam the following week, also saving her the trip to a coffeeshop.

Arrived quite early, around 10:00am. Bought one more gram of Nicole Kush for my partner and rolled a spliff of Lemon Larry OG, which I’d already had from a previous visit. Sat at my usual seat by the window and enjoyed what time I had left in what I call my second home. Noticed some locals who were in the night before and also a steady stream of tourists coming in for their morning wake and bake. Glad I stopped this time at Solo, definitely my favourite shop of the trip (service and quality).

After, I quickly went central and got a few odd bits to take home. Then headed back to the hotel as I had an early flight.

I loved every minute of this trip. I was worried I’d get bored of my own company, but in Amsterdam there’s so much to do and see. Even if you’ve been 100+ times. I usually look for Laser 3.14 art around the city too, been a big fan for some years now. Did see a few this time thankfully. Can be hard to find. Anyway, hopefully will be back this year around November.
Deus

Post by Deus »

Ghost wrote: Sun 3rd Jul 2022 06:54 pm :D Thanks for the write up there Buddy :thumbup: enjoying reading it. That Champagne Haze from Club Media back in the heyday was a banging smoke and I also used to frequent the shop just for that purchase :D but must sadly agree that the Champagne has not been at the highest standard for quite a few years now. I haven't visited the shop since they had their refurb and never made it there over 420 week, so will pay a visit when next in town :D

Have a blast man :mrgreen: :thumbup:
Thank you. Really appreciate it. Champagne haze was one of the best hazes at its peak. Hope it comes back to its full potential one day. I would always make it my first stop years ago, either that or High Rise from De Graal would be my first purchase. Katsu tended to carry at least one very good one also. Mango Haze comes to mind.
Tokeing tom

Post by Tokeing tom »

Enjoyed reading sounds like you had a great time 👍
HitTheNorth

Post by HitTheNorth »

Thanks for posting thus great write up. Laser always has something to say I too enjoy spotting them
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Great trip report, thanks for sharing.