New Map

Suggestions, complaints and news about coffeeshopdirect.com
Lemming
Site Admin

New Map

Post by Lemming »

I've finally uploaded the new Amsterdam map. Only about 20 years late!

The first version of the map was part of the original ACD in 1998. That was replaced quite quickly by the second version. I then added, removed and renamed many shops on that over time but the underlying map remained the same for well over 20 years.

In the meantime I created a few more maps of outer districts and plotted the shops on various Google maps.

Throughout this time the original map has remained at the heart of the site and been the page that brings in most visitors.

The new map extends the area covered to include more shops to the north-west of the centre, rendering two small maps obsolete. The material I gathered will allow me to extend it further or to create overlapping sheets at the same scale in the future.

Being larger, of course, doesn't help it fit on tiny phone screens and the print function still uses the old map for now.

Please let me know if you find any problems with the new map.

bedge

Re: New Map

Post by bedge »

High LEM love the new map!
Even got it prited out ok.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Excellent! How did you print it? Single sheet A4 landscape? How does it look? (Got no ink in my printer!)
bedge

Post by bedge »

High i just saved page to desktop and printed on a4 i will send a pic on whats app.
best wishes
bedge
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Quality :D :thumbup: loved the old map and still use it at times to this day :D and really love the look of this newer updated version. Top Work :thumbup:
Chase the Green to live the Dream :mrgreen: 8) :D
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

Looks really good 👍
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
Roccy Tittzenbeer

Post by Roccy Tittzenbeer »

Excellent work sir, I do appreciate a simple and easy to read visual reminder of 'which Coffeeshop is where'
Helps me make a quick mental note of neighbourhood groupings when I go for a wander, I do tend to forget about some of the less reported venues.
I wonder what a similar map would have looked like back in the 80's / 90's compared to the latest one? ( not suggesting a future project there Mr Lemming sir ) to over-lay one on top of the other would see a big difference.
Once again, many thanks for all your efforts.
First visit October 1976 last visit still to come ....
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

Roccy Tittzenbeer wrote: Tue 16th Aug 2022 01:24 pm I wonder what a similar map would have looked like back in the 80's / 90's compared to the latest one? ( not suggesting a future project there Mr Lemming sir )
I too would love to see such a map. I've considered plotting one with just the coffeeshops that are now closed as it would be good to have that information all together before it's lost to history forever.
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

As usual, I have too many projects on the go. Nevertheless, I will certainly return to the map at some stage, maybe adding more details, expanding the area or making alternative versions.

The master version on my PC is built up in layers for ease of editing. It's also possible to have layers that can be switched on or off in your browser. I could use the same background to show bars, smartshops or closed shops and may well do so in the future. In the meantime you can find all such things on the 'mega map' amongst the Google Maps. See the map room.
bedge

Post by bedge »

High all i love the new map and printed out ok.
i would also like to see a map of coffeeshops in 1980
as far as i can tell there was only 3 open coffeeshops and 1 closed.
mellow yellow 1972-1978 (destroyed by fire)( not the one that was on the maps on this site.
rusland16 now plugxxx summer 1975
bulldog October 1975.
het balloon 1978
of course there were many canabis outlets in amsterdam in 1980
aswell as youth clubs
the melken weg
paradiso
fantasio
magic inn
flying dutchman
as well as most corners in the rld
and in front of central station.
So I would like to know of any other coffeeshops.
I have over the last 20+ years been asking old Amsterdam born and bred smokers of any they knew in 1980.
Including Nol Van Schaik author of The Dutch experience ,the inside story of 30 years of hash & grass coffeeshops. and Rena owner of natural minds on Prins Hendrikkade Amsterdam and Alkmaar.
I would like to ask Wernard Bruining who opened mellow yellow in 1972. I believe he still runs positronics grow shop in the pipe area.Cornelius Tootstraat i think.It was the home of the Sinsemilla fan club.
I was in the stud a few days ago and was talking to some Amsterdam smokers over 60 who were in amsterdam in 1980 and after me saying there were only 3 open coffeeshops open as far as i could find, they said there were many place to score
hash and weed.they told me of a outlet they were involved in was a dog walking group who met in old abandend building were a dealer would be.
they then all agreed that as far as coffeeshops were concerned, there were only the 3 open shops mentioned above.
So if anyone can name any other 1980 coffeeshops i would like to know.
best wishes all
bedge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

bedge wrote: Fri 26th Aug 2022 04:26 pm High all i love the new map and printed out ok.
i would also like to see a map of coffeeshops in 1980
as far as i can tell there was only 3 open coffeeshops and 1 closed.
mellow yellow 1972-1978 (destroyed by fire)( not the one that was on the maps on this site.
rusland16 now plugxxx summer 1975
bulldog October 1975.
het balloon 1978
of course there were many canabis outlets in amsterdam in 1980
aswell as youth clubs
the melken weg
paradiso
fantasio
magic inn
flying dutchman
as well as most corners in the rld
and in front of central station.
So I would like to know of any other coffeeshops.
I have over the last 20+ years been asking old Amsterdam born and bred smokers of any they knew in 1980.
Including Nol Van Schaik author of The Dutch experience ,the inside story of 30 years of hash & grass coffeeshops. and Rena owner of natural minds on Prins Hendrikkade Amsterdam and Alkmaar.
I would like to ask Wernard Bruining who opened mellow yellow in 1972. I believe he still runs positronics grow shop in the pipe area.Cornelius Tootstraat i think.It was the home of the Sinsemilla fan club.
I was in the stud a few days ago and was talking to some Amsterdam smokers over 60 who were in amsterdam in 1980 and after me saying there were only 3 open coffeeshops open as far as i could find, they said there were many place to score
hash and weed.they told me of a outlet they were involved in was a dog walking group who met in old abandend building were a dealer would be.
they then all agreed that as far as coffeeshops were concerned, there were only the 3 open shops mentioned above.
So if anyone can name any other 1980 coffeeshops i would like to know.
best wishes all
bedge
10 years and still not solved this one 😂
https://coffeeshopdirect.com/forum/view ... hp?t=22217
Tbh I think it was just a shithole with loads of squatters and smack heads, so no one actually remembers or wants to.
bedge

Post by bedge »

high yes my study goes on ( 40 years not 10)
i have read your reply over a few times but still dont know the shithouse you mentioned?
what ever its a drug den/squat not a coffeeshop.
thanks
best wishes
bedge
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

I just re-read Amsterdam Coffeeshops pre 1980??, a fascinating thread.

The idea that there may have been as few as 3 coffeeshops in 1980 would be surprising to me but I didn't get there until 1988 so I don't know. Certainly by the late 80s there were hundreds of them, many more than there are now. Maybe there were only the few pioneers in the late 70s and then the numbers exploded in the 80s.

I also looked back at the Mellow Pages topic, where 1980s coffeeshops are discussed in some detail. While I was there I fixed a few pictures.

I might scan some more pages from Mellow Pages and post them in that thread sometime. Having not heard from Kip or his publishers, I guess nobody cares if this stuff is re-published and it would be good to preserve and pass on the material.
Jesscass

Post by Jesscass »

Great work again, Lemming, I dig the new map as well! Not that I really need it after all these ages but also the old one was and is useful to this very day ; too spread it as often as I can. An alternative version with extra closed coffeeshops would be heaven I second this. Keep it up, cheers!
avfc-herbalist

Post by avfc-herbalist »

Lemming wrote: Sun 14th Aug 2022 03:08 pm I've finally uploaded the new Amsterdam map. Only about 20 years late!

The first version of the map was part of the original ACD in 1998.
Hi Lemming,

Is the 1998 ACD Map on the site anywhere? I've tried to find it but to no avail. Would love to see it. Thanks.
sit back, blaze ganja and chill