Amsterdam 1975

General discussion about cannabis and coffeeshops.
Lemming
Site Admin

Amsterdam 1975

Post by Lemming »

This map of the nascent cannabusiness in 1975 was sent to me by Bedge (from Nol van Schaik’s book The Dutch Experience).

The locations shown are:

The original Mellow Yellow, the prototype for all subsequent coffeeshops.

Lowlands Weed Company, the first ever grow shop on Kees Hoekert's boat De Witte Raaf (The White Raven). Apparently there was also a dealer on a neighbouring boat.

Bulldog No.90 and neighbouring merchandise shop (88), which was the first commercial coffeeshop, opened in 1975.

Rusland, now Plug XXX, which also opened in 1975.

I'm intrigued by Spui being emphasised. Maybe that was also significant to hash in the 70s?

DjShaggy

Re: Amsterdam 1975

Post by DjShaggy »

I love stuff like this, the history is fascinating. It really does make me wonder what the spui connection is, and I never realised Rusland was so significant either. Great post.
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

DjShaggy wrote: Tue 30th Aug 2022 06:52 pm I love stuff like this, the history is fascinating. It really does make me wonder what the spui connection is, and I never realised Rusland was so significant either. Great post.
Rusland was indeed one of the first shops. Legend has it (according to the words of a true old-school Amsterdam hippie, RIP) that back in these days there was no real "main bud counter" there was usually a house dealer(s) with a briefcase, tucked semi-discreetly in the corner of the café somewhere.

In any case, the following details are a bit fuzzy, as it was a few years ago I was told the tale, by now - but one of the dealers whether initially having the blessing of Rusland management or not, lost said blessing and was banned from the shop.

The peddler having been exiled from Rusland (Dutch for "Russia") naturally opened a competing shop, naming it Siberië (Siberia) in honor of his exile from Russia...
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

Nuggz wrote: Wed 31st Aug 2022 01:17 pm
DjShaggy wrote: Tue 30th Aug 2022 06:52 pm I love stuff like this, the history is fascinating. It really does make me wonder what the spui connection is, and I never realised Rusland was so significant either. Great post.
Rusland was indeed one of the first shops. Legend has it (according to the words of a true old-school Amsterdam hippie, RIP) that back in these days there was no real "main bud counter" there was usually a house dealer(s) with a briefcase, tucked semi-discreetly in the corner of the café somewhere.

In any case, the following details are a bit fuzzy, as it was a few years ago I was told the tale, by now - but one of the dealers whether initially having the blessing of Rusland management or not, lost said blessing and was banned from the shop.

The peddler having been exiled from Rusland (Dutch for "Russia") naturally opened a competing shop, naming it Siberië (Siberia) in honor of his exile from Russia...

Stories like this need preserving before they are lost forever.
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
bedge

Post by bedge »

High the reference to the spui is referring to the so-called happenings that happened around a statue of a street kid.
i think its still there. The happenings were protests where lots of cannabis was smoked.
It was setup by a group known as the provos who had an underground publication of the same name.
see
http://www.marijuanalibrary.org/HT_provos_0190.html

https://www.dutchnews.nl/features/2020/ ... provo-man/
hope this helps
bedge
HitTheNorth

Post by HitTheNorth »

Brilliant thread great find that @Lemming and @Nuggz what a story! Makes perfect sense.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Quality Map and info there guys, thanks for sharing it 8) :D
Chase the Green to live the Dream :mrgreen: 8) :D
Ganjaforlife90

Post by Ganjaforlife90 »

Thanks for the sharing , this is important to share and talk about the past , maybe I am too much nostalgic but I miss the 90's.

What happened there in A'dam and in the Netherlands during the 70's is very interesting
ed the head
Location: New Amsterdam of my mind and of my making. Trips:3, Haj:14

Post by ed the head »

I think it was this issue that first planted the Amsterdam seed in my mind so long ago.

:mrgreen: 8)
He who tries to shine dims his own light
macky

Post by macky »

ed the head wrote: Thu 2nd Mar 2023 08:41 pm I think it was this issue that first planted the Amsterdam seed in my mind so long ago.

:mrgreen: 8)
With you there ED my issue was two page centre of the magazine with a picture of the seed bank house lite up at night with high pressure lights . House was glowing out of every window very 8)
Tried finding that picture to frame in a poster years back ,no luck yet :mrgreen: