What's the best phone plan for roaming / maps

Culture, Events, Tourism, Living and Working there, etc.
Minxtus

What's the best phone plan for roaming / maps

Post by Minxtus »

Hi guys ,

I live in Australia but am originally from the U.K. So I will be spending some time there as well as Amsterdam and Spain.

I want to get a pay as you go SIM card for my mobile and have heard of different companies doing cheap roaming deals such as 3 and 02 , I was hoping to use google maps when visiting Amsterdam. Does anyone have any advice on how have you managed to get google maps while in the dam ?

Fat_old_dwarf

Re: What's the best phone plan for roaming / maps

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

Someone else will be better on the SIM deals, but for maps you don't have to use any data at all. I don't. Just download your offline areas beforehand, complete with all the places you've saved in expectation of visiting. If you're lost, and you might well be, turn your GPS on, and it will probably find you.

My phone has been nagging me for ages to give it 190 MB to become faster and work offline. I don't know what this means in addition to what I've just mentioned that I've always been able to do, but I've just done so, so may find out. Or another Android user might tell me.
John Daniel

Post by John Daniel »

I have used Navmii for a few years now and found it very useful when in the Netherlands. You can download the maps of various countries that you want to visit and then delete and download the next countries maps before you get there. It has walking and cycle modes so perfect for amdam and best of all it can be used offline as the maps are stored on your phone.
As FOD said there will be better people to answer your sim questions, but yes 3mobile do a plan where you can use your data and minutes in various countries like Spain, UK and France, but unfortunately not in the Netherlands :roll:
FOD - you have only 190mb memory left on your phones internal memory. You have 3 options. 1 ignore 2 buy a memory card for your phone and transfer as many of your apps, photos, music etc onto it to free up space 3 buy another mobile with larger internal memory. Pick 2 pick 2 :mrgreen: :wink:
Minxtus

Post by Minxtus »

Thanks for the replys guys,

I did I bit of my own research and it turns out the mobile provider 3 have an awesome pay as u go plan called (all in one £20 or all in one 10£
Feel at home )

Basically you buy one of these SIM cards and get very cheap roaming in 42 countries including the Netherlands .

20 quid would get me 300 mins of calls 3000 texts and 25 gb of data and lasts a month.
Minxtus

Post by Minxtus »

Thanks fat old dwarf , I already have the offline interactive map it's great but a working sat Nav would help me navigate on a bike without stopping every 5 mins to figure out were we are, I'm going to bring a compass as well I reckon it will help when confused wether to go up or down the canal.
John Daniel

Post by John Daniel »

Minxtus wrote: Wed 15th Feb 2017 01:44 pm Thanks for the replys guys,

I did I bit of my own research and it turns out the mobile provider 3 have an awesome pay as u go plan called (all in one £20 or all in one 10£
Feel at home )

Basically you buy one of these SIM cards and get very cheap roaming in 42 countries including the Netherlands .

20 quid would get me 300 mins of calls 3000 texts and 25 gb of data and lasts a month.
Well everyday is a school day on the ACD :mrgreen:
They must have only recently added the Netherlands because that's the plan that I am on. Great news for me but sorry for the mistake.
You should check out Navmii though. It's a sat nav app that doesn't need internet access to work. You can add the addresses of CS to your favourites, select one and then you are set to go.
John Daniel

Post by John Daniel »

Skip to 1:55 for Navmii review
Minxtus

Post by Minxtus »

Thanks very much for that , I didn't realise there was such a thing as sat nat for your phone that doesn't use data. That is awesome .
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

Way out of date information now.

E.U. Roaming is inclusive and you can use a Uk phone at no extra cost across Europe, however I recommend downloading the area you intend to travel to on google maps, I have maps of Amsterdam & Barcelona downloaded just in case.
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
Dieselbhoy72

Post by Dieselbhoy72 »

** admin deleted if not allowed **
Guys I currently work in the mobile industry
Done all networks and currently train agents to deal with general enquiries.
If anyone needs any tips just let me know well in advance at least 1-2 weeks minimum and I can answer any queries
One quick tip if your planning on using it for maps and calling friends in the dam then get yer network to unlock your phone it’s free and can take up to 7 working days for Apple and android only a few days
If you plan on calling home some network still have plans that will let you use your allowance just like you were back in the uk
Any questions just ask
Cheers guys
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: