Germany is gonna legalize - effect on coffeeshops?

General discussion about cannabis and coffeeshops.
Eli_7

Germany is gonna legalize - effect on coffeeshops?

Post by Eli_7 »

Curious what everyone thinks about how German legalization of recreational cannabis is going to impact Dutch coffeeshops. Are many coffeeshop visitors German tourists? Presumably this will be the first of many European countries to move towards legalization.

petty

Re: Germany is gonna legalize - effect on coffeeshops?

Post by petty »

Firstly I`d advise against presumption. If and when legalisation happens in Germany then the effect on Dutch coffeeshops will be immense maybe see a movement of people in the other direction. Netherlands mostly borders Belgium and Germany and it is easy to fall into the Westside Anglo/American perspective focused solely on Amsterdam like most regular posters on here. The Dutch world beyond Amsterdam is much more conservative and the pressure for a Weedpass came from the areas close to Belgium and Germany because of the volume of shop visitors in the Border areas.
It`s a big/small world out there beyond Schipol/ Amsterdam Centraal, the Wallen and the beach at Zaandpoort.
Marok21

Post by Marok21 »

Eli_7 wrote: Thu 27th Oct 2022 07:44 am Curious what everyone thinks about how German legalization of recreational cannabis is going to impact Dutch coffeeshops. Are many coffeeshop visitors German tourists? Presumably this will be the first of many European countries to move towards legalization.
As a German I am incredibly happy about it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: but its still not sure that the legalization really comes... before they can legalize they have to ask the Europeans if they have any problems with it :? The plans for legalization are in conflict with three UN agreements and with european contracts. Germany argues that the protection of young people and health would be better guaranteed with legalization and that the objectives of the European contracts could be achieved even better. Germany hopes that the EU follows this interpretation.
Even if the EU says ok you can try there is still the big possibility that a member state of the EU wants to sue germany...
in the EU are several countries that could do that because they are not so weed friendly :?
The german minister for health said if the EU don´t allow it they don't want to pursue this plan any further :?
I don't want to be too pessimistic and I really hope that it works despite all the resistance :mrgreen:

A lot of germans come to the netherlands for vacation, a day/weekend trip or just for buying weed. Because of the short distance most german tourist visit the border areas like Maastricht, Kerkrade, Roermond, Venlo, Enschede but also Amsterdam and other parts of the country are full of germans :lol:
Personaly I lived some years ago only 30 kilometers away from Maastricht and so we were nearly every week over there mainly for the coffeeshops. That was before the wietpas (i-criteria) was introduced. They introduced it because of the big stream of "drug tourists" from belgium and germany which borders are near Maastricht.
Also other parts of the country especially near the borders introduced the wietpas, too but most cities have abolished the wietpas again.

I read somewhere on the web a few days ago that Marc Joseman owner of coffeeshop "Easy Going" in Maastricht would be ready to sell again to tourists when the germans had legalized. I think when germany really would legalize there would be a lot less "weed tourists" from germany especially in the border areas and so cities that had problems with the "weed tourists" would become more relaxed for sure.

For me it would be like a dream come true especially that it should be allowed to have 3 flowering plants is awesome. Well 3 is not so much but better than nothing because I never thought that they would allow the cultivation...
At first they wanted to introduce a THC limit from 15% :shock: but fortunately they don't want to do that anymore :mrgreen: that would have been really stupid because it just keeps the black market alive...

but again it´s still not save yet! fingers crossed :mrgreen:
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

I look forward to being a weed tourist in Germany some day :mrgreen: Ive not been to Germany since 2012.
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Good News especially for the German Stoners, zero effect on Amsterdam and just another place to visit on the stoner map if tourists are permitted to enjoy.

Hopefully we also get a knock on effect🤞🏻💚