October 22 - Trip / hash report.

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
RedGecko58

October 22 - Trip / hash report.

Post by RedGecko58 »

After two years and several cancelled trips (covid! ), I was finally headed to Amsterdam with a few friends. We enjoyed our time very much, although the boys were not able to visit as many shops as I normally would have liked. A few new shops that I’ll revisit with my girlfriend on our next trip that were more chilled out and less busy. Amsterdam was also looking stunning in its autumnal colours.

Paradox: "blonde" hash: €5. I liked being able to buy a smaller bag as I don’t need a gram from every shop and it also gave me the chance to see if it was any good. I do find that most shops that sell less than a gram or pre-bagged tend to be of lower quality. Good shop, and it's nice to revisit for the first time since my first trip with my partner 6 or maybe 7 years ago. The shop has changed, and the wall mural or painting is now gone or covered with plaster board. Friendly service and a large menu.

Hash was nice but nothing to write home about. Quite. Hard hash that softened with some pocket warmth.

7/10
Atmosphere -
Second visit here, both times enjoyed a joint here.

Sibirie: "ours de rif dry sift" hash: €12.5
A very oily batch with a strong modern hash smell (to me, modern hash smells more like herbal cannabis than earthy incense-like i associate with pressed Moroccan hash). The shop was busy, but we got a large table to enjoy for a few joints. One of the nicer hashes of this trip. Difficult to work with as it was warm, but once rolled, it smoked well. I wish I’d picked this up earlier in the trip.
Served by a lovely woman who made a great coffee and was happy to show me most of their hashes.

8/10
Atmosphere
- Great - love coming to this shop in the early morning and the canal it is on is one of the prettiest.

Greenhouse: "Exodus Cheese Hash," €13/g.
This new school hash apparently comes from greenhouse genetic plants. I’ve always found this to be fairly dubious 🤨. Whilst I’m not saying this is necessarily untrue with a grey market and multinational illegal supply chain, I don’t really know what they are selling me is a specific "strain," "cultivar," or "genetic," taken with a pinch of salt. I looked at 4-5 different hashes, and this one smelled the best. Pretty strong hash is sold in greaseproof paper as it’s oily. Dark hash with a yellow centre is certainly a nighttime smoke for me.

Very soft even in the cold autumn temperatures. I would buy this again and like to try some more of their menu. Shop was heaving!

7.5/10
Atmosphere -
just a bit and fly as the shop was very busy. Normally enjoy sitting out the front in the late evening.

Dampkring: Mantequilla €12/g Looked at this hash, the Niqa and the sensabille. I decided on the Mantequilla, which looked the best of the bunch. Although, their hash stock were pretty decimated, with less than a couple grams of each left—I got the last 0.8 of Mantequilla.

Again, oilly in the bag and melted to the bag when left in my pocket too long! A nice dark brown with a lighter core and a strong high. I personally found this to lack the flavour I expect from Dampkring products. Still, I enjoyed this with my usual banana milk shake at the window and enjoyed watching passers by point out and discuss the coffee shops on their walk. My partner will be disappointed to hear the shop cat had passed.

9/10
Atmosphere -
This remains one of my favourite shops to buy and to smoke in. It was the first coffeeshop I ever visited many trips ago so I may have rose tinted memories.

Yoyo: "Honey Hash," €5/0.6g. This is my first time visiting this specific shop. I arrived reasonably early and was the only one there. Rather oddly, there is day care outside, and parents were arriving to drop off their kids. Served by a nice older woman who took her time to show me the selection of hash. When I arrived she was locking up her bike inside the shop, which looked to be a top quality bike, not that I could manage cycling whilst high 🤣.

I looked at the 3 hashes they had on offer. I chose the Honey hash as it look a bit more Carmel in colour than the others. Again, I love being able to get half a gram and try more hashes, so that is certainly a plus.

I enjoyed this whilst listening to a bit of music and watching the ensuing chaos of daycare drop-off, thinking it was utterly bizarre that I could sit and smoke openly in the middle of the day. Real reminder that life goes on and this was a normal Tuesday for many residents of the Netherlands. Sometimes I think that is lost when cruising around the central canal belt. My friends were still in bed, so it was nice to chill out and enjoy a new shop myself for a change.

The hash itself was good—it was an older style hard-pressed Moroccan hash with medium strength and more of an incense flavor. Personally I like the earthy incense flavour but this was not quite top quality, not that it made much difference as I enjoyed my coffee and rolled another. The shop itself was great, feels like you are in a large living room and I’d revisit just to avoid the bustle of central shops.

8/10
Atmosphere
- Chilled out shop, chilled out service away for the hustle and bustle. Will revisit with partner.

Solo: Mango pollen is €11/g. First time visiting solo, and as a hash lover, I’d heard good things. The first hash of the trip is a strong, oily hash that is wrapped in greaseproof paper. Very soft and pliable, but actually difficult to work with as it becomes so sticky and leaves the fingers with a sticky residue. I’d initially wanted the Lemon Larry OG ($12/g), but looking at both the mango and the so-mango was better in terms of both look and smell.

It has a lovely, intoxicating smell that I associate with these newer hashes, this smells more like pungent herbal cannabis rather than Moroccan hash, fairly strong too. Enjoyed with a coffee at the window for a couple joints. Great shop, great service, and I will return with my partner.

8.5/10
Atmosphere -
First visit to Solo on the back of Marok21 consistent positive reviews. Great reviews mate, thanks for that info. I loved it. Much more chilled out and relaxed that other shops. Limited seating but sitting at the window is excellent. I’d like to spend a bit more time here and try some more of the menu and go at night instead of early morning.

Carmona - avoid
tried to buy a couple grams and a drink to smoke but they said double consumption rule applies. When I asked what they meant she said everyone in our group must buy a gram and a drink - fuck that. Obviously we would have all bought a drink and a few grams between us. One of us didn’t even smoke 😂 told them to stick it and went to yoyo. I should have trusted my gut that this was a tourist trap shop or just likely to be poor.

Didn’t make it to all my planned shops - still dying to visit La Tertulia, Barneys also missed a few favourites this trip to let the boys have some beer!

One final note.

I did find two things were lacking on this trip.

1. No outstanding older style Moroccan hash on the menus I looked at. Not sure if it was just my expectations, COVID or other factors. Previous years I’ve had great traditional products from Dampkring and Greenhouse.

2. I also failed to find any of the lightly pressed "wet dust" hashes this trip. I certainly would have liked to see more like the "Super Silver Haze Block Hash" I got from Boerejongens a few years back. Perhaps that’s rose tinted memories but that was a lovely hash with both the smell and intensity I enjoy in new school hash. I’ll need to go and check my previous reviews.

Anyways, always just another reason to drag the misses back.

Cheers 👋🏻

Not_the_monk

Re: October 22 - Trip / hash report.

Post by Not_the_monk »

That's literally ridiculous at Carmona. Insisting everyone buys a gram and drink is what, like a minimum entry price of €60-70 for a group of 4. You did right walking.

Siberie has forever been such a nice shop. I always liked the others in that chain like Supermarkt too for day time, always calm places with friendly service.
RedGecko58

Post by RedGecko58 »

Not_the_monk wrote: Thu 10th Nov 2022 09:48 pm That's literally ridiculous at Carmona. Insisting everyone buys a gram and drink is what, like a minimum entry price of €60-70 for a group of 4. You did right walking.

Siberie has forever been such a nice shop. I always liked the others in that chain like Supermarkt too for day time, always calm places with friendly service.
Yep I think next trip I’ll visit the others in that chain. Really do love Sibirie and the coffee is great!

Also need to check out Terps Army - I’m not sure the atmosphere will be my cuppa but the hash is apparently very good. El Gaupo before had some excellent hash - the white OG in particular!
Tokeing tom

Post by Tokeing tom »

I can tell u now buddy the atmosphere in termps army is non existent its literally a que with a few tables on the left filled with people in gucci tracksuits and fake expensive trainers ...but yes the filtered hash is good expensive but good ... I have to say that I've always found the budtender friendly ,which always helps
RedGecko58

Post by RedGecko58 »

Tokeing tom wrote: Sat 12th Nov 2022 12:23 am I can tell u now buddy the atmosphere in termps army is non existent its literally a que with a few tables on the left filled with people in gucci tracksuits and fake expensive trainers ...but yes the filtered hash is good expensive but good ... I have to say that I've always found the budtender friendly ,which always helps

That’s what I was fearing - the wannabe drug dealer with fake branded clothes that I remember on my visit to the Plug in my previous trip. Unfortunate, but if the hash is good I can pick up and head to Batavia.
courtjester

Post by courtjester »

Appreciate you writing the informative report, Gecko.
Marok21

Post by Marok21 »

Thanks for the nice trip report. Well done :mrgreen:
RedGecko58 wrote: Wed 9th Nov 2022 10:31 pm Solo: Mango pollen is €11/g. First time visiting solo, and as a hash lover, I’d heard good things. The first hash of the trip is a strong, oily hash that is wrapped in greaseproof paper. Very soft and pliable, but actually difficult to work with as it becomes so sticky and leaves the fingers with a sticky residue. I’d initially wanted the Lemon Larry OG ($12/g), but looking at both the mango and the so-mango was better in terms of both look and smell.

I was there for the Lemon Larry OG last weekend, too and also didn´t bought it because it didn´t smelled/looked as good as the last times to me... that SoMango Pollen sounds nice :D it´s on their menu for more than a year or so I think but never tried it. Same for the Lemon Zest hash (9€/g) which is on the menu for ages and a dutch customer recommended to me once because it was his favorite hash in general but I still didn´t tried it yet. I think I will take a look on both next time :D
RedGecko58 wrote: Wed 9th Nov 2022 10:31 pm 1. No outstanding older style Moroccan hash on the menus I looked at. Not sure if it was just my expectations, COVID or other factors. Previous years I’ve had great traditional products from Dampkring and Greenhouse.
Yeah sadly it´s getting harder and harder to find some real nice older style moroccan :? while the newschool stuff gets better and better... Covid was a bit like the beginning for that trend. With covid the prices for moroccan hash exploded and there was much less around. Now the prices are better again but it´s still very hard to find high quality oldschool moroccan hash.

Original Dampkring usually never dissapointed me in terms of oldschool moroccan hash even when there was the lockdown they still had high quality moroccan like the Niqa, Sensabille for the same price on the menu as before Covid but since 3 months or so quality of these hashes went down :?
Currently The Mantequilla (12€/g) and Haza (10€/g) were the best "oldschool" hashes that I found on their menu. I liked both pretty much but I have to agree with you compared to their top moroccans they sold a half year ago it´s just good moroccan and nothing outstanding. On the other hand for nowadays the quality was really good compared to most other moroccan hashes that I saw lately and with 12€/g and 10€/g they are more in the middle price segment.
RedGecko58 wrote: Wed 9th Nov 2022 10:31 pm 2. I also failed to find any of the lightly pressed "wet dust" hashes this trip. I certainly would have liked to see more like the "Super Silver Haze Block Hash" I got from Boerejongens a few years back. Perhaps that’s rose tinted memories but that was a lovely hash with both the smell and intensity I enjoy in new school hash. I’ll need to go and check my previous reviews.
That wasn´t your rose tinted memories :lol: :mrgreen: I think I mean the same batch of the SSH Block from a few years back. That stuff was really killer! Super tasty and really damn potent and only for 9,50€/g :shock: sadly the newer batches were not as good as it was.
Coffeeshop Tweede Kamer have some Green Magic Block hash (10€/g) which reminds me a bit of the SSH Block from years back. Also very potent, nice taste, easy to work with and with 10€/g well priced. Sadly the batches change pretty fast here but since 3 months it´s pretty constant :D
Tokeing tom wrote: Sat 12th Nov 2022 12:23 am I can tell u now buddy the atmosphere in termps army is non existent its literally a que with a few tables on the left filled with people in gucci tracksuits and fake expensive trainers ...but yes the filtered hash is good expensive but good ... I have to say that I've always found the budtender friendly ,which always helps
True :lol: maybe when you visit early in the morning or late at night it could be better but like Tom said atmosphere is non existent :? it's just too busy and they only have a few seats in the little coffeeshop... but they also have a second coffeeshop since a few months. It's located where coffeeshop noon used to be and seems to be not so frequented and has a bit more space and comfy seating.
In general Terps Army has very nice newschool hash on the menu but a bit high priced in my opinion but to be honest I haven´t tried enough hashes from them to judge if it´s worth the money or not. I only tried 2 or 3 of their filtered hashes which were priced around 20€/g and all were nice quality while I got pretty similar quality for 15€/g from Coffeeshop Solo for example...

I hope that next time you find some really tasty old school hash 8) I will keep my eyes open and will report if I find something nice :D :mrgreen:
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Nice report, thanks for sharing, glad you made it back :mrgreen:
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
starcatcher

Post by starcatcher »

Awesome super-detailed report RedGecko!
trips to The Dam: 6 ('04, '08, '09, '10, '12, '13)