Channels.nl

Culture, Events, Tourism, Living and Working there, etc.
Lemming
Site Admin

Channels.nl

Post by Lemming »

Channels was an Amsterdam website that started before even the ACD began in 1998. At one time it hosted mini-sites for various coffeeshops and other businesses. It probably became best known for its forums.

In the early days of the ACD, before it had its own forums, I received tons of emails with coffeeshop reviews and other discussions. Many of these correspondents were members of the Channels forums.

When Peter helped me to add forums to the ACD in 2005, many of the first people to join were also members of Channels, including FlyByNite.

Anyway, on Thursday, while these forums were broken down, I got a message to say Channels was closing down on Friday. This has now happened. Another sad loss for the Stonernet.

Old Fart

Re: Channels.nl

Post by Old Fart »

When I started researching Amsterdam for my first trip in 2004, I googled Amsterdam coffeeshops and Channels popped up first thing.
Thinking it would be mostly youngsters, I joined as Old Fart and maybe the kids would have room for an old guy hitting up AMS for the first time.
As it turned out, the members were lot's of old farts, youngsters and evey age in-between. The information I received was invaluable and made that trip, and all the trips that followed a joy.
We met up, shared our stories and planned the next trip.
Channels could also be a daily cage fight in the politics and members section. I met lot's of friends via Channels from all over the planet and kept a few in the end. Channels died on the vine because no new members were allowed for years, and things turned more to politics and social issues instead of Amsterdam.
Admittedly, I was a big part of that downward spiral so I stopped posting a few years ago.
I will always remember Channels and the great folks I met from there.
Old fart.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

channels was cool beans while it lasted , it gave a lot and took a lot , and Lets have a moment of silence - OK - Done
Wag More - Bark Less
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Talking of Channels around 420 time reminds of the beginning of the ACD forums. Old Hippie Dave posted videos of the 2005 Channels meet in Amsterdam, including a great boat trip: Bud Warz.
In later years we met lots of Channelites in 420 Cafe. There was an organised Channels table and a shambolic ACD one. They had name badges and we just had stupid grins :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think I see old videos from OHD and Blueberry on da` youtube .... :)
Wag More - Bark Less
AzLaker

Post by AzLaker »

Lemming wrote: Sun 2nd Apr 2023 08:15 pm Talking of Channels around 420 time reminds of the beginning of the ACD forums. Old Hippie Dave posted videos of the 2005 Channels meet in Amsterdam, including a great boat trip: Bud Warz.
In later years we met lots of Channelites in 420 Cafe. There was an organised Channels table and a shambolic ACD one. They had name badges and we just had stupid grins :D

I loved Channels when I first started investigating Amsterdam years ago. Was a very good site, with many good people. Unfortunately, in the later years there was too much bickering and not much talk about Amsterdam.

Maybe some of the old members from Channels will join ACD, Like Hobie and a few others to help keep Amsterdam alive.
Nice to see ACD still going strong after all these years. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Keep up the good work Lemming. You're the Man!! :D

AzLaker
8)
If you never do, you'll never know.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

I found this picture of FBN with a Channels award. Anyone know the story behind this?

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

There is a video of the 10 year anniversary where Fly was given the award . I will try and find it and post .
Wag More - Bark Less
Banks

Post by Banks »

Lemming wrote: Thu 13th Apr 2023 11:04 pm I found this picture of FBN with a Channels award. Anyone know the story behind this?

Yep. The owner of Channels threw a 10th Anniversary party in Amsterdam which was highly attended by a large group of the members. Prior to the party, we had a poll to vote on the "Best Of" things, one of which was the Best Website. LastHamlet donated the money to buy the awards, I had them made local and I was able to fly over on a quick trip to MC this part of the party. I asked FBN to send me a picture of him at home with his award, and that is the picture he sent me. I've got a bunch of pictures from that party with most of the 'famous' Channels folks, some of whom are also members here, if anyone wants to see them. David was a wonderful gentleman, and is and will be very much missed...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Hey banks ! I have the video but cant figure out how to post . Its 20mb .. any Idea/ help
Wag More - Bark Less
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

https://attachment.tapatalk-cdn.com

10 th anniversary video
hope it works ... FBN @3:56
Last edited by Hobie on Thu 7th Mar 2024 02:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wag More - Bark Less
cupasoup

Post by cupasoup »

Went to Amsterdam last weekend with the wife and some friends and thought I’d take a look at channels as hadn’t for a while. Was like it completely disappeared from history with no references on Google. Sad times as while agree it had seen better times of late, I been visiting the site for 20 odd years.. trip stories were good and, as said by others, quite a few of those who posted have now gone to the great coffee shop in the sky. Not sure if Bas or anyone manage to archive them?

RIP channels
boulderdam

Post by boulderdam »

Haven't been on channels in years. I was shocked to see it was gone, but my "channelite" years were back around 2001 - 2004. Long time ago I guess.

Oh well, here's to channels - it was fun while it lasted.
I wonder if one of the reasons for its demise was the slow but steady legalization of cannabis in the US. I got my first medical marijuana card in 2010. It was so weird to be able to drive to a medical dispensary in my town and pick out buds and hash from all these really good strains and take 'em home. But I still miss the hash in Amsterdam. I loved going to Greenhouse Tolstraat in the Pijp and buying/smoking a gram of King Hassan.

RIP Channels.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Although Bas cancelled channels , a splinter group went to facebook and started a new page ( I'm not on it and don't know what its called ) I`m not an FB fan

today I noticed that the video of channels 10 year anny is corrupt , I'm not smart enough to fix it
Wag More - Bark Less
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Here's that video. Hobie says it was made by Danny Mac in 2005