Fat Freddie's Stumble about town.

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
Fat Freddie

Fat Freddie's Stumble about town.

Post by Fat Freddie »

In the early hours of wednesday morning I threw my stuff in the car and drove to dover on nice clear roads, after a quick look by customs I was on the ferry for breakfast and it wasn't long before Calais came into view and not much longer before I was on the motorway headed through france to belgium.
The journey was an easy one this time with little delay on the roads though it was slower from Antwerp to utrecht as there are a lot of roadworks going on. It was reasonably warm but not too hot weather for driving.
By 1.30 I was in Zeeburg and after putting up my tent etc I was faced with the nice problem of where to go first.
Passing up the easy option of the nearest place ( the Stud) where they do a reasonably priced White Widdow deal I headed straight for Homegrown Fantasy as the Cheese I had there last year was really good and got myself some Cheese and some Nepalese black hash. The welcome there is good and the staff friendly and helpful. The Cheese was as good as last year and the nepalese was a welcome reminder of what hash should be.
After a few smokes there I headed for Pri Dimi as I wanted to make sure the F1 was going to be on there on sunday as I intended to be there to watch the turkish grand prix, and chose some chocolope
This is a strain I really like with a good hit and taste, not so immediate as the cheese but a pleasant high that sits me down and lets me watch the world go by with a smile on my face.

As it had been an early start ( 3am) I was begining to tire by the time I had walked around town for a bit so headed back to the campsite which seemed very busy. I don't know why but they where having a party with free drink and food which went down well and I spent the evening outside the bar enjoying the atmosphere and a good smoke on the cheese and chocolope.

Next day while ambling around the town, taking in some of the markets and the general atmosphere I called into the 420 for some SuperSilver Haze a pleasant smoke in a welcoming place. I was kept company by the resident cat who was curled up on the table doing a good impression of Fat Freddie's cat, once I had gathered my wits it was off to paradox, a place I failed to find last year despite having visited there the year before, where I sampled the NYCD Cheesil. That I liked and as it gives a good combined hit and while not so busy Paradox is a good place to chill and handy for the westermarket.

Later I put my bike together as it travels as a frame and wheels in the back of the car and got myself some exercise cycling along the canal near the campsite. This is one of the joys of camping zeeburg as you can either go into town or out into the countryside depending on how you feel.

Friday
After a slow start I headed into town for lunch and a bit of sightseeing. As I passed one shop there was an explosion of feathers and the sound of a cat swearing as it saw off a pigeon who had got too close, The cats around town have some attitude...

Despite leaving plenty of time to get there I managed to be late for the meet at Mellow Yellow but it did mean that both Spidergawd, his mate Jerry and Soulrider were there already. I got some more Chocolope there as I had finished the first gram already and had got a taste for it.
Thanks for the welcome guys.
Great to meet them and we had a good session and chat as we introduced ourselves and soon got onto the subject of weed.
Andy (Soulrider) impressed me with his knowledge of weeds and the good selection he had with him. He used them effectively to illustrate his points on the differences between varities with them.
Alan and Jerry's cycling tour made my efforts cycling around the town seem a bit feeble after the many KM's they covered to get to Amsterdam, Impressive guys.
I hope you both had a good journey home.

Andy took his leave to go to Old Amsterdam coffeeshop leaving us old boys to natter and set the world to rights over some more coffees. After we said our farewells I ambled off to explore around the Leidseplein before heading into the center for the evening.

After a slow start the next day I headed into town and after a brief visit to Amnesia where I chose the Pineapple Haze, a pleasing sweet tasting weed which I enjoyed after finding a quite place beside a canal, I had had enough of being inside so I didn't stay long at Amnesia , I can't say I was keen on the new neon interior but the bud was good.

Sunday afternoon was spent in Prix Dimi watching the Formula 1 not the most thrilling race but a good days work by Jenson Button, It would be so good to see him win the championship this year as he's had such a crap time the last few years, though I can't but help feel sorry for Barricello as he's due a win soon by the way he is driving but sunday was def not his day.
I got some more chocolope there, I do like this weed a great taste and a lovely stone one of my fav's this year only outdone by HGF's cheese in my opinion. The service at Pri Dimi is good to as they happily put the F1 on for me when asked and when I asked for a banana milkshake they went a got some more bananas to make it there and then, talk about fresh :D

After that I needed some fresh air so after walking back to the campsite I had a rest and then later enjoyed a steak at the campsite bar. Though it is a bit more expensive than it used to be, the change in exchange rate and prices have gone up a couple of euros has made this years visit a bit more costly but camping at Zeeburg is still great value.

To give you an idea of the costs of my trip, staying for 9 days at Zeeburg camping cost 121 euros, my ferry tickets were only £30 each way and I spent some £60 on fuel to get there and back my diesel estate car does nearly 60 mpg on a journey. Over the 9 days I brought some 18 grams in 1 gram deals so I could sample a wide range of weeds though next time I will look to buy a larger deal of cheese and chocolope if they are as good as this year as I did end up buying 4 grams of each.
I brought a couple of strippenkarts at the campsite as at 7.5 euro each for 15 zones they make the trams cheap to use too.
So with food etc I was able to keep within a 50 euro a day budget easily despite eating out on more than half the days I was there.

It shows what good value Amsterdam can be if you are on a budget.

FF
Last edited by Fat Freddie on Thu 18th Jun 2009 05:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twichaldinho

Post by Twichaldinho »

Nice report Fat Freddie, one of these days Im gonna camp in Amsterdam I swear it. I think I would have a great time.
Again, top report buddy.
Endure
StonedSince67

Post by StonedSince67 »

thanks for the nice read

your report was full of shop/strain info as well as having some real live acd people to talk about too

it was also nice to hear about other ways to get to amsterdam and life at the campsite at zeeburg, it sounds like a good place
Toker70

Post by Toker70 »

Nice report thanks,camping sounds like it would be a blast unfortunatly(or maybe not) i'd have to camp solo as my misses can't go anywhere without her hair studio lol
Babylon 'wan tief mi 'erb. But mi bun it bfoe dey come.
Cisco

Post by Cisco »

Great report FF a few of my mates have done the camping thing not sure i would be up for it ! but i understand you can rent cabins so i would do that no prob ! how far out is the campsite ? cheers :lol:
cheese

Post by cheese »

cool report man!

nice to see more and more trip reports being posted!
' Smoke em if you got em '
Twichaldinho

Post by Twichaldinho »

cheese wrote:cool report man!

nice to see more and more trip reports being posted!
Aint that the truth :P
All the reports recently have been a plesure to read.

**Pointless observation alert ***

if you look at the active users right now, it reads Burger, cheese, chilly! :lol: .........well I found it funny!
Endure
Fat Freddie

Post by Fat Freddie »

cisco wrote:Great report FF a few of my mates have done the camping thing not sure i would be up for it ! but i understand you can rent cabins so i would do that no prob ! how far out is the campsite ? cheers :lol:
There are cabins and the new chalets which they have started using because they cannot get planning for any more buildings as I understand the cabins are popular.

info here on location
http://www.campingzeeburg.nl/index.php? ... ity-centre

10 mins by tram 26 or 21 mins by tram 14 from dam sq or it takes approx 40 mins to amble or 10 mins by cycle from the centre of town.

The main problem with camping is the predictably changable amsterdam weather, it can rain bloody hard there and the wind can make it difficult to.
checking the weather helps when planning but as a general guide july and august seem better weatherwise, I find june a bit chancey as you can still get some heavy weather.
a good weather site
http://www.wunderground.com/modelmaps/m ... &domain=EU
and
http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/06240.html

As I drive I take a good sized tent that I can stand up in and have a refuge when it rains.

FF