BEST WAY FOR MONEY EXCHANGES

Planning a trip to the Netherlands? Post the details here.
cattales1960

Re: GWK BANK CASH ADVANCES

Post by cattales1960 » Tue 23rd Jun 2009 05:34 pm

WONKABOY wrote:As of 6/19/9 the GWK Money Transfer stations do not accept Visa/mastercard/credit/debit cards for cash advances anymore so you better bring alot of Euros or be ready to only withdrawal your banks daily limits which usally are $400 US Dollars which means about $250 Euro's you will get daily from the ATM'S , i was able to get cash advances all week but when i went on friday 6/19 they told me their new policy went into effect , i think that sucks for travelers now.. :evil:
Also let any card service that you are taking with you know you are going to be in amsterdam. They will block it if they think its been stolen.

I need a miracle everyday

Balou

Post by Balou » Tue 23rd Jun 2009 07:05 pm

Wells Fargo usually has great exchange rates.
https://www.foreignexchangeservices.com

metal4mullets

Re: GWK BANK CASH ADVANCES

Post by metal4mullets » Tue 23rd Jun 2009 07:14 pm

WONKABOY wrote:As of 6/19/9 the GWK Money Transfer stations do not accept Visa/mastercard/credit/debit cards for cash advances anymore so you better bring alot of Euros or be ready to only withdrawal your banks daily limits which usally are $400 US Dollars which means about $250 Euro's you will get daily from the ATM'S , i was able to get cash advances all week but when i went on friday 6/19 they told me their new policy went into effect , i think that sucks for travelers now.. :evil:
Mmm...that may not be a problem. I think we can live for a couple days on €250. If I have to hit the ATM 3-4 times it might be worth it.

*sigh* This is getting frustrating. Now I'm flip-flopping back forth between paying the $60 to order and exchange or just chance being able to use the ATMs again.

MPSRuo

Post by MPSRuo » Wed 24th Jun 2009 04:19 pm

I also agree that ATM's are the best choice.

I have Bank of America and they offer FREE foreign ATM withdrawl in SOME european countries. Unfortunately, the netherlands is not one of those countries. My rates are:

If I withdraw, say, 500 euros, I get charged 3% of the equivalent in dollars (based on the current exchange rate) + $5 fee. So if I withdraw $100USD, I am charged $8 in fees. $500USD withdraw = $20 in fees.

Although this is obviously not great for low withdraws, I usually only make 2-3 large ATM visits when I am in A'Dam to avoid fees. Even with the 3% fee, it still is MUCH better then local exchange places because it is converting dollars to euros at the real exchange rate at the time, no commission or other fees.

Epsilon

Post by Epsilon » Wed 24th Jun 2009 04:57 pm

We've always made a last minute ATM stop before flying home and snagged a 100 euro or so for the next trip...its gonna happen . Also de Vrouw has gotten good at lurking at the exchange booths at our US departure airport and making small deals for Euros with arrival people who are about to get screwed by the thomas cooks of the world . Can work to both parties advantage .Power to the people ...

Return to “Travel Plans”