How do you pronounce Rokerij?

Dutch language.
Bifton

Post by Bifton »

This is a bit like the biscuit / cake jaffa cake argument.... but for the record it's du ro-keir-ree

B./ ;-)

baked

Post by baked »

ij ending always is pronounced like I so you are wrong.
Bifton

Post by Bifton »

baked wrote:ij ending always is pronounced like I so you are wrong.
For the record I didn't say I was right, just said for the record.

but hey just for the record how do you say 'toermalijn' to-er-ma-laine?..
baked

Post by baked »

its like tour-mahline again the ij functions like an i
Bifton

Post by Bifton »

Thanks for that Baked, the Toermalijn is one of my favourite coffeeshops in Holland, have you ever been?
baked

Post by baked »

you are very welcome bifton.
unfortunately not. i read mucho about it here but did not make it yet.
Bifton

Post by Bifton »

Well when you do have a nice joint of ak47 iceolator for me :-)

B./
Sir Niall of Essex-sire

Post by Sir Niall of Essex-sire »

Bifton wrote:This is a bit like the biscuit / cake jaffa cake argument.... but for the record it's du ro-keir-ree

B./ ;-)
Its a cake, cakes go hard when stale, biscuits go soft.
Defeating evil with a thing called love
Boner

Post by Boner »

Sir Niall of Essex-sire wrote:
Bifton wrote:This is a bit like the biscuit / cake jaffa cake argument.... but for the record it's du ro-keir-ree

B./ ;-)
Plus there's a clue in the name. :lol:
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
Bifton

Post by Bifton »

Boner wrote:
Sir Niall of Essex-sire wrote:

B./ ;-)
Plus there's a clue in the name. :lol:
Gentlemen, Gentlemen you can dunk jaffa'cakes' which make them biscuits not cake .
But before we start the Biscuit - Cake tennis game, this is what I am on about...

Jaffa Cakes: Cakes or Biscuits?

Jaffa Cakes, cake, biscuit or something else? Why should Jaffa Cakes be named as they are? Well Jaffa comes from Jaffa Oranges, which are named after the Israeli city of Jaffa. But then why should they be called Jaffa Cakes when they look so much like biscuits? In fact whether Jaffa Cakes are cakes, biscuits or something else has been the subject of much controversy in the United Kingdom.

Under UK law no value added tax (VAT) is placed on biscuits or cakes. But critical to the controversial issue of Jaffa Cakes’ name, when a biscuit is covered in chocolate it becomes subject to the standard VAT rate of 17.5%. Mcvities, the market leaders for Jaffa Cakes classed them as cakes, not biscuits, but this classification was challenged by Her Majesty’s Customs and Excise in 1991.

In the end the case ended up in the courts and the court were forced to answer the question of when something should be classed as a cake and when it should be classed as a biscuit. Answering this general question would then lead easily into a decision related to ‘Jaffa Cake, cake or biscuit?’

So what happened? Is a Jaffa Cake a cake? Happily for us Jaffa Cake lovers who would not relish the prospect of having to pay another 17.5% for our Jaffa Cakes, the court ruled in favour of Mcvities. One of the critical aspects of the argument was related to what happens when biscuits or cakes go stale. The court found, as anyone who has forgotten to put the lid on their biscuit tin properly will know, that when biscuits go stale they go softer. But when cakes go stale they go harder. The test was done, and when Jaffa cakes are left exposed to the air they get harder. So Jaffa cakes are definitely cakes and not biscuits. We recommend that you do the test to see for yourself, because unlike disgusting soggy biscuits, when Jaffa cakes go stale the new harder type of Jaffa cake you get is actually still delicious.

Just one more interesting Jaffa Cake fact all about their name: During the court battle between Mcvities and Her Majesty’s Customs and Excise, Mcvities baked a giant Jaffa Cake to prove that Jaffa cakes were really cakes and not biscuits. I don’t know what you think, but our taste buds are definitely watering thinking about a giant Jaffa Cake!
RealWeedSmoker

Post by RealWeedSmoker »

I say ROW - kah - Ree . Not sure if im right or wrong but since it sounds closest to "Smokery" I go by that... if ur thinkin to much about this I suggest going there and getting blazed... and then forgetting about it and it will come naturally :lol: atleast thats what works for me !
"Im jus twistin my blunt Im gettin high!"
baked

Post by baked »

how often do i have to repeat that ij ALWAYS is pronounced eye/I ?
JMey

Post by JMey »

baked wrote:how often do i have to repeat that ij ALWAYS is pronounced eye/I ?
It's more like "I", yeah
SoulRider

Post by SoulRider »

I have been getting a lot of lessons lately in Dutch from people, as I mangle their language, and IJ is best described, in native English pronounciation, as like the 'Y' in Why, the English pronouniation of 'I' doesn't quite fit when used in certain situations, the fact that when written in handwriting IJ is just a Y with an umlaut on it gives another clue.

Baked, you may be a native Dutch speaker, but what you are saying is analogous to me saying a word in English to you and then telling you the closest Dutch sound. As a Dutchman, you would know the closest Dutch sound. I understand what you are trying to say, but your argument is fundamentally flawed :)
Just trying to be 'En Vogue'
Trichome_Dense

Post by Trichome_Dense »

Jaffa Cake is not a biscuit? Sacre bleu!

Well did you know that a Pepsi is not a Pepsi in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia? No, really - it's true! They call it Bebsi over there! The reason being is, in Arabic - there is no letter "P" ... not kidding!

Anyway, ciao - bless! :)
... as long as it aint a cheque ;)