Voyagers

Comments on specific shops. Use search to find the topic for a shop.

Rate Voyagers

I like Voyagers
93%
I don't like Voyagers
7%

Total votes: 484

Not_the_monk

Re: Voyagers

Post by Not_the_monk »

IrishSmoker1916 wrote: Sun 20th Nov 2022 01:12 am Those independent shops wouldn't have got destroyed if they had good stuff, terps army and the plug took over shops and the quality was better instantly
Right because having "good stuff" has always been the deciding factor for a coffeeshop's long-term survival in Amsterdam?

Not to mention there being more to a location than that alone.

liftedfellow

Post by liftedfellow »

Hi there!

Long time lurker and much obliged to the many esteemed members of this fine forum.

Well, here’s my attempt at an eulogy, then:

Prolly did not get to enjoy Voyagers in its more kosher incarnation(s) as much as some of the esteemed members here. But I do miss the fabled Voyagers o’ yesteryear, as well.

Crammed, yes; but a lovely, friendly spirit about it and usually a lot of great to top-notch gear, at very decent pricing. Staff were always very welcoming and helpful, in my experience. Differing batches - yes - but such is life, yadayadayada.

And while it was/is always quite reassuring to see proper smokers behind the counter, what did win me over was a sense of a passion (way) beyond just the bottom line. Delighted to see at least some of that has transferred to Phenofinders’ (etc.) newer endeavours.

Call me a bloody optimist, but I sure do hope this kind of shop - and philosophy - does not die out completely. Even with the pressures that be in a city like Amsterdam.

It is precious, offering so much more of what makes this plant and the community around it, in their many forms, so special, in my humble estimation. There are at least a few shops decidedly not following the sad trend of sanitised, cold and base profit-ism. So that gives me hope. A modicum, at least.

Had the pleasure of visiting Mokum on four occasions this summer. As for the current marble-clad incarnation of Voyagers, I can only concur with previous posts: always empty, uninviting and dodgy vibes. In a nutshell: dead. The only thing really missing were a few tumbleweeds kicking about, with the odd dust devil.

Think I also saw this lady wandering around, who would ceaselessly try to nudge one into donating for children in Africa in the most dodgy and scam-y way possible. She was an earful. Tried her luck about three times in total. To no avail. But I reckon AMS does see a lot of people come through, so no offence taken.

While a phoenix-story is always welcome, off to greener pastures!
macky

Post by macky »

@liftedfellow thanks for sharing, sad news for sure . But phenofinder Kushy strains can still be found Danny and HB still run shops with there strains :mrgreen:
But central CS is around the corner steadily selling the hazes to locals to and from work at good price
kalima

Post by kalima »

IrishSmoker1916 wrote: Sun 20th Nov 2022 01:12 am
kalima wrote: Sat 19th Nov 2022 02:33 pm
RvanSteensel wrote: Fri 18th Nov 2022 07:35 pm yeah this is what globalism does to us , everything becomes bland
too true as well as destroying independent shops world over... Ⓐ
Those independent shops wouldn't have got destroyed if they had good stuff, terps army and the plug took over shops and the quality was better instantly
I think utopia had good stuff prior to the plug..
IrishSmoker1916

Post by IrishSmoker1916 »

kalima wrote: Tue 22nd Nov 2022 03:15 pm
IrishSmoker1916 wrote: Sun 20th Nov 2022 01:12 am
kalima wrote: Sat 19th Nov 2022 02:33 pm

too true as well as destroying independent shops world over... Ⓐ
Those independent shops wouldn't have got destroyed if they had good stuff, terps army and the plug took over shops and the quality was better instantly
I think utopia had good stuff prior to the plug..
unfortunately I never visited it, I'm talking more about the new plug location on Rusland, along with terps army taking over Noon. Visited both on my recent trip and they're much better than before.
MrKushPuffer

Post by MrKushPuffer »

I really Hope that Danny will Take this place Back someday :mrgreen:

It was Out First Stop after Central Shop, and it was almost the best Spot.

But all These Shops have to settle the prices down, Danny charges 16.50 for Notorious now(and it was Not good). Its way too much for Weed! A Lot of Shops charging 18€ now for a kosher etc...what the hell is wrong?
macky

Post by macky »

@mrkushpuffer..what is wrong :) Most shop are paying rent :D Like most places heat ,hydro ,gas etc.
Plus the owners of building pay to because they do not own land . It’s not legal so lots of hoops to get product to shop or a greedy drug dealer. :D
liftedfellow

Post by liftedfellow »

macky wrote: Sun 20th Nov 2022 07:22 pm @liftedfellow thanks for sharing, sad news for sure . But phenofinder Kushy strains can still be found Danny and HB still run shops with there strains :mrgreen:
But central CS is around the corner steadily selling the hazes to locals to and from work at good price

Cheers, Macky, the heads-up is appreciated! Will check out Central CS next time.

Must admit my relationship with Hazes, espcially the 'modern' "AMS Hazes" (SSH, Amnesia, Amnesia Haze, ...), is somewhat fraught. They have been flooding 'traditional' in me neck of the woods for the better part of the past 15-20 years, if not longer. But hey, at least we now also have - most of the time - very mediocre to outright shitty 'Cali' (genetics, as well as import) at reliably exorbitant prices. Yay, what a brave new world!

Most Hazes tend to do me head in, in a bad way. Same for White Widow, White Russian, Enemy of State and a few others. But thats obviously more on the IND/IND dom/HYB side of things. Blueberry Haze and G-13 Haze, for instance, seem to create less collateral damage in the upper compartments, if done well.

Generally do prefer SAT dom or pure SAT, with plenty strength but also a lot of focus and a certain 'gentleness' to them.
Very much partial to 'old-school Hazes' and proper sativas, such as those found at Dampkring. African and SE-Asian genetics, well grown and dried indo', are some holy grail material in my books, given my latitude. Just not something easily found anywhere, unfortunately.

Absolutely enamoured with Congo Haze (John Sinclair (a.k.a. Red Congolese) x Nevilles Haze) from Dampkring (Classics). Exceptional blend of terps: sandalwood, aniseed, earthy and a touch of sweetness (wanna say carrot). Crystal clear with sharp focus, but no edginess or anxiety whatsoever. Creative, social, outgoing, extroverted; while also providing or re-enforcing a very balanced and happy base line. Strong and very long legs. Admittedly less tolerance and experience back then, but my first rodeo saw strong primary effects for about 2-3 hours. Divine smoke. That was ages ago, though. King Kong, a Red Congolese hybrid, from ASG and the olden Voyager days, was also right up my alley. Though they are arguably hybrids.

As mentioned by other members, these days even one of AMS CS's main stays for such a long time, 'AMS Hazes', comes in quite often rather underwhelming quality and isn't good value for money (Flush, Drying,...). Not even thinking of 1998 HTCC Super Silver Haze or such. Current menues are filled to the brim with Gelato/Sherb-this and Cookies-that. Some shops literally have 75% Gelato, or crosses thereof, on their menues. Surely all labled correctly and top-notch. Insert any other future hype strain and it'll be the same, i fret: desert of actual quality, choice and variety across a lot of shops. Guess that is also due to base profit-ism and a woefully undereducated bulk of customers. But it pays the bills and we all love a predictable race to the bottom, don't we?

And all these 8-9 weekers (Gelato, Cookies, Skittlez, generic US hype strain) are being sold at very hefty mark-ups, compared to SAT or SAT dom which might take about 10-16 weeks to finish. Not a big mystery why that is the case. Still won't compute in my brains and feels very wrong just to watch, let alone support by way of purchase. Regardless of where personal preferences for strains and effect are sitting, me thinks.
Last edited by liftedfellow on Wed 23rd Nov 2022 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tokeing tom

Post by Tokeing tom »

liftedfellow wrote: Wed 23rd Nov 2022 01:07 pm
macky wrote: Sun 20th Nov 2022 07:22 pm @liftedfellow thanks for sharing, sad news for sure . But phenofinder Kushy strains can still be found Danny and HB still run shops with there strains :mrgreen:

Cheers, Macky, the heads-up is appreciated! Will check out Central CS next time.

Must admit my relationship with Hazes, espcially the 'modern' "AMS Hazes" (SSH, Amnesia, Amnesia Haze, ...), is somewhat fraught. They have been flooding 'traditional' in me neck of the woods for the better part of the past 15-20 years, if not longer. But, hey, at least we now also have - most of the time - very mediocre to outright shitty 'Cali' (genetics, as well as import) at reliably exorbitant prices. Yay, what a brave new world!

Most Hazes tend to do me head in, in a bad way. Same for White Widow, White Russian, Enemy of State and a few others. But thats obviously more on the IND/IND dom/HYB side of things. Blueberry Haze and G-13 Haze, for instance, seem to create less collateral damage in the upper compartments.

Generally do prefer SAT dom or pure SAT, with plenty strength but also hella focus and a certain 'gentleness' to them.
Very much partial to 'old school Hazes' and proper sativas, such as those found at Dampkring. African and SE-Asian genetics, well grown and dried indo', are some holy grail material in my books and given me latitude. Just not something easily found anywhere, unfortunately.

Absolutely enamoured with the Red Congolese from Dampkring (Classics). Exceptional blend of terps: sandalwood, aniseed, earthy and a touch of sweetness (wanna say carrot). Crystal clear and sharp focus mentally, but no edginess or anxiety whatsoever. Creative, social, outgoing, extroverted; while also providing or re-enforcing a very balanced and happy base line. Strong and very long legs. Admittedly less tolerance and experience back then, my first rodeo saw strong primary effects for about 2-3 hours. Divine smoke. That was ages ago, though. King Kong, a Red Congolese hybrid from ASG and the olden Voyager days, was also right up my alley. Though they are arguably 1st and 2nd order hybrids.

As mentioned by other members, these days even the AMS CS's main stay for such a long time, 'AMS Hazes', comes in quite often rather underwhelming quality and isn't good value for money (Flush, Drying,...). Not even thinking of 1998 HTCC Super Silver Haze or such. Current menues are filled to the brim with Gelato/Sherb-this and Cookies-that. Some shops literally have 75% Gelato, or crosses thereof, (supposedly) on their menues. Insert any other future hype strain and it'll be the same, i fret: desert of choice and variety across most shops. Guess that is also due to base profi-ism and a woefully undereducated bulk of customers. But it pays the bills and we all love a predictable race to the bottom, don't we?

And all these 8-9 weekers (Gelato, Cookies, Skittlez, generic US hype strain) are being sold at very hefty mark-ups, compared to SAT or SAT dom which might take about 10-16 weeks to finish. Not a big mystery why that is the case. Still won't compute in my brains and feels very wrong just to watch, let alone support by way of purchase. Regardless of where personal perferences for strains and effect are sitting, me thinks.
Seems like the Haze u have at the moment is pretty good 😁
macky

Post by macky »

@lifted fellow ...your in luck Central CS has a very good SSH..go early sells out fast :D
The hazes got shit once they crossed Amnesia to speed up flower time ,ruined the taste :?
liftedfellow

Post by liftedfellow »

Tokeing tom wrote: Wed 23rd Nov 2022 04:20 pm
Seems like the Haze u have at the moment is pretty good 😁
[/quote]

None on deck or smoked for a wee-bit, in fact. But it is around and there are quite a few bloody hard-core Haze heads in my circle. Can't be helped ( :wink: ) and (old-school) Hazes can be very nice smoke, every now and then. Nevilles Haze, C5 Pioneer, Piff Haze/NL5 Haze for the win, going by my preferences. If you would ever want to honey-trap me, African and SE-Asian flowers would be the way. Preferably premo indo, but well done outdoor can be a delight, too, of course. Again, hard to come by.

However, even very fine Amnesia or Amnesia Haze, say, for a week straight (exclusively or just predominately), would sure as shit deliver a solid little depression by the end of that week. Without fail. Since I do not like depressions - economic or mental - I gravitate towards different strains.
Last edited by liftedfellow on Thu 24th Nov 2022 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
liftedfellow

Post by liftedfellow »

macky wrote: Wed 23rd Nov 2022 06:14 pm @lifted fellow ...your in luck Central CS has a very good SSH..go early sells out fast :D
The hazes got shit once they crossed Amnesia to speed up flower time ,ruined the taste :?
Let's hope there is still some SSH left in about two weeks, then! Domo arigato!

Yeah, mad ting, sad ting. The way Amnesia and sweet modern 'Hazes' went always makes me think of tulips and their mania. Seems also vaguely archetypical of how the stories of OG/Cookies/Sherbet/Gelato/Zkittlez/Runtz/... seem to play out and have played out so far: hype stemming from quality and rarity, mass adoption (just on labels or mayhaps even in well-sourced substance), a lot of mass produced bunk and, eventually, (quasi) mono-cultures in terms of menues and seed lines on offer. That is: no line breeding, while mixing all of the limited polyhybrid cesspool/palette of colours, constantly. All hail Cookie fam et al. or more prior culprits. And those after. And their customers.

Decent to stellar cuts, crosses, breeders and lines can, of course, still be found. Just seems a miniscule minority in a sea of (unstable) hybrids of polyhybrids. Often these hype strains actually go back to the same handful of 'building block' strains. Ok, maybe a few hands - but not much more, in most cases. Talk about narrowing your palette, mainly for commercial reasons. Yet, this also seems a persistent trend.

-- And it needs to be "kushy", "cali", "gas-y", "tropical" and "dank", of course. At least, you wanna slap those lables on for marketing purposes, even though a working definition, understanding, a coherent frame of reference outside the realms of marketing, or the corresponding product are missing, in most cases. --

Hype cycles have become much faster, I think, with much less actual 'staying power' or lasting 'wow-effect' to a lot of these cuts / strains. Maybe that is normal and to be expected. Maybe not. Maybe I am overlooking crucial bits.

If selections are generally done on larger scales (1000s or 10.000s of seeds), however, more and new gems should be found more easily - and thus they should become more widely accessible. The optimist in me is hoping for the fruits of that labour. Lucky selectresses, selectors and their treasures are always welcome.
Last edited by liftedfellow on Wed 23rd Nov 2022 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokeing tom

Post by Tokeing tom »

In lay man's terms ...the people who know what there doing no longer do Amnesia as the money for said product is low so why waste time when they can get double if not more for something new in the same time frame ..I to loved a good haze In my day and still do but I remember when white window was the big thing before Amnesia appeared and before that top 44 ,northern lights ,orange bud ,skunk. Time passes and perhaps we will never see these strains as they used to be ever again ...cheese is the perfect example ..impossible to get anything like the past, In my opinion good haze is still out there just harder to find 😊
liftedfellow

Post by liftedfellow »

Tokeing tom wrote: Wed 23rd Nov 2022 11:49 pm In lay man's terms ...the people who know what there doing no longer do Amnesia as the money for said product is low so why waste time when they can get double if not more for something new in the same time frame ..I to loved a good haze In my day and still do but I remember when white window was the big thing before Amnesia appeared and before that top 44 ,northern lights ,orange bud ,skunk. Time passes and perhaps we will never see these strains as they used to be ever again ...cheese is the perfect example ..impossible to get anything like the past, In my opinion good haze is still out there just harder to find 😊
Only constant is change and certain ships have sailed for good, true. Not knocking economic self-preservation either. Just detest monotony in this regard. Some people make their profit on bulk (and changing labels), some on margin (and correct labels/sourcing). But variety and quality at a decent price seem all too often quite the mirage.

Oh, Orange Bud. Cut me post-puberscent teeth breaking down k-packs. Very seedless most of the time, in fact. Guilders were something people still had or at least remembered. Time-barred days. Certainly not all was gold back then, either.

Ok, I'll bite. Riddle me this then: where did all the sublime former Amnesia/Orange Bud/Bubblegum/... growers go? In my humble estimation, 8-9/10 'Cali strains' on offer in Amsterdam today are very frugal in terms of quality, even though they are so much faster, so much more sought after and not necessarily more complicated plants to run. Surely, they did not all die out or migrate to Spain, the UK, Canada and the US, right?
macky

Post by macky »

@TT Finding the cheese like old can be done . It,s just getting the right skunk #1 seeds .
The cheese is a pheno , that fact you may have to start a lot of seeds (regular)
But Ya! Cali all the time here to :mrgreen:
I have had some Cali haze/Mexican..my buddy playing with a cut that was brought up by another friend .12 weeks not the longest you have to wait . Shared a joint with guy in Denmark ,after a beer and another joint . He pulls out of his bike a bag of 16 week haze to smell . The weed was just cut down ,grown some where near where we where sitting :wink: CC.
Little off topic ...same thing with this thread ,,Lem may move it
Bye the bye LF central CS is open at 7am and is two hundred meters from central station ......love that on train coming in from airport ....next stop cennnntral station