UFC 168

Moderators: Balou, cantona7

CannaSir

UFC 168

Post by CannaSir »

Goddam I wanna see that cocky bastard Silva get knocked out again despite it being rather unlikely!

As for that bitch Ronda Rousey - I just hope Miesha Tate has understood, trained for and is ready to unleash CUTTING ELBOWS on the sour-faced cow: she'd look good with her face covered in blood imho!

:lol:

The rest of the card looks pretty good, too! :lol:

Wash yerself up quick, babe. Star Trek's on.
geekymonkey

Re: UFC 168

Post by geekymonkey »

I am SOOOO excited about this card.

I agree that seeing Silva knocked out again would be awesome.

I'm on team Ronda though. I think the way she was edited on the series was total crap.
Because life is too short to smoke bad bud.
ThePooch

Post by ThePooch »

where could this be viewed in the 'Dam? it'll be early morning Sunday by then
CannaSir

Post by CannaSir »

ThePooch wrote:where could this be viewed in the 'Dam? it'll be early morning Sunday by then
You'll need to torrent it to get a decent copy immediately - unlikely to be showing at any bars due to the late start for Europe...
Balou

Post by Balou »

ThePooch wrote:where could this be viewed in the 'Dam? it'll be early morning Sunday by then
http://atdhe.eu/boxing
Are you stoned? Like a gravel road bitch, like a gravel road!
CannaSir

Post by CannaSir »

Balou wrote:
http://atdhe.eu/boxing
Awesome! And I laughed hard at your avatar! :P
CannaSir

Post by CannaSir »

WARNING: UFC168 SPOILER ALERT!!!!!.................

JEEZUS! Poor Anderson Silva! Such a terrible thing to happen to a great champion - even though I wanted him to lose big time that leg break was the second worst thing I've ever seen in martial arts. Hope he heals soon and chills the fuck out with the fighting and enjoys his millions from now on.
Blimey!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Adamster

Post by Adamster »

:shock: :shock: :shock: he aint coming back from that ...took mir 2-3 years when he broke he leg in a car accident :shock: :shock: :shock: more guy ...
geekymonkey

Post by geekymonkey »

Mir broke his femur (thigh) so arguably worse than Silva's break, but I don't think he's coming back from that. He's 38. What a horrible way to end a brilliant career.

Over time Silva threw that leg kick harder and harder because he was more and more confident that his opponents could not properly check the kick. Muy Thai fighters understand a broken leg to be the risk of throwing an insanely hard leg kick against a worthy opponent.

Weidman says he may also need surgery on that knee. He had that kick read and was moving to get that block in place from the moment Silva decided to throw it. What a worthy successor now reigns as champion of that division.

Ronda was amazing. Great fights all around. I was glad to see Jim Miller get the win, as I really like him.

Also, sad to see the end of Chris Leben's career. He'll always be the cat smasher to me, and I'll always be a fan.
CannaSir

Post by CannaSir »

Just a few speculative, stoned musings on mma violence and injuries.....

Considering both the evolution of mma itself over the last 20 years and the ever-accelerating rate at which athletes are now training in the sport, what does the future hold for injuries in mma events?! ... (i.e. I'm speculating that the huge increase in numbers training mma will help further accelerate the sport's evolution)

It does not seem unreasonable to expect the severity and frequency of injuries to increase as fighters continue to hone their skills - this has already been happening in the realm of cuts. Many commentators have noted that striking skills have a long way to develop before mma fighters can punch as well as top boxers, become true masters of kicks, knees and elbows etc, as well as the wrestling and submission games which are relatively well represented already.

Whilst I can see very easily how striking could improve a lot, I am much less clear as to how the fighter's conditioning regimes could get much better than they already are. In other words, as the sport develops, is it conceivable that there will come a point where fighters become so skilled that very serious injury becomes commonplace as skill levels far-outstrip the body's ability to take the shots?

I think that elbow strikes are an area in which risks loom beyond the now frequent huge gashes on the forehead and face, particularly as the elbow itself can be conditioned through progressive impact training which, combined with the rest of the strength programme, increases bone density. The power of the shoulder-chest-back muscular complex operating through the shoulder joint is so great when close-range fighting that the point of the elbow becomes like a hammer. It's mainly being used for deliberately glancing blows-that-cut at the moment but fighters like Jon Jones are starting to show what's possible with the elbow...

Is it simply that the athletes will evolve their body's ability to absorb punishment as skill-levels gradually increase over time or will skills develop too quickly? The combining of martial skills has evolved, according to Joe Rogan (a pretty well respected mma commentator), more in the last 20 years than it did in the previous several thousand!! Makes you wonder what the UFC champs of 2033 will look like!!!!!

(gettin silly??? now)
I predict a trend of fighters deliberately breaking whichever bones of the body that can end up stronger after the application of titanium plates and screws! Imagine titanium elbows and shins wielded by a 20-year-updated Jon Jones!!!! Might be the odd death at that point! :shock:

Here endeth stoned ramble :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
geekymonkey

Post by geekymonkey »

I think the leg-kick demonstrated that the dystopia you fear is not close at hand. Because MMA fighters will only ever be able to use their bodies as weapons, there is a physical limit to how much damage can be inflicted. I think that is one of the overlooked reasons that mma striking is not evolving to directly resemble boxing. There are a lot of techniques that are possible with gloves that will break your hands bare-knuckled.

I don't get the sense that elbows have gotten more damaging. I can think of some awfully bad/deep cuts in the UFCs 10+ years ago. I remember seeing Marvin "the Beastman" Eastman's scull at one point. Cuts are not ever permanently damaging in the UFC because the ref and doctor watch very closely and will call a fight before a fighter is at danger of permanent injury for them. Personally I like to watch bloody fights. :twisted: :lol:
CannaSir

Post by CannaSir »

I don't fear it as a dystopia rather I anticipate it eagerly!

Wasn't Eastman's cut from a knee rather than an elbow? I forget..

I believe elbows are still under-utilised. In the clinch, for example. I'd like to see some 8pm to 2pm elbow strikes, with good hip involvement, to the liver / floating rib area - could be devastating and are strikes that require almost no space to deliver hard and the point of the elbow can dig deep into the tissues..

I think youre right tho - it will be more of an organic evolution, with extra-severe injuries minimised by good matchmaking.
Adamster

Post by Adamster »

Dana talk about what happen ...

http://www.ufc.com/media/ufc-168-dana-reactions

:| he say Silvas leg was already broken from a kick landed just before that fetal kick... :x
dpgsoulja89

Post by dpgsoulja89 »

Before going into surgery silva asked when can he train again :shock: is the guy insane! call it a day already!he is still one of the greats
but there saying he could train in 6 to 9 months yeah right! he wont be able to walk right for years never mind stepping in the octagon!
next trip...1st December!
Adamster

Post by Adamster »

I forget the guys name but last guy that it happen too came back with in a year!!(in ufc) :wink:

The worst part is that he knew that leg was already cracked from a leg minute before and that fetal kick just broke it in 1/2 :S

this look like in UK or something!!

This happen in montreal canada

:| :| :|