Hotel Hortus by zoo

Accommodation related topics.
bishy69

Hotel Hortus by zoo

Post by bishy69 »

Anyone stayed here ?? And is there any info that you could give me about the hotel :)

BaK iN AmSTeRDaM GoDs CouNTRy ApRiL BaBy

April 19-22 2015
iddsy40

Re: Hotel Hortus by zoo

Post by iddsy40 »

hi,ive stayed here before and it is a lovely hostel.not too far from all the action.friendly people,smoke friendly place.you get a basic breakfast,toast,jam etc.there were 2 pcs for guests to use.free tea/coffee all day until 11pm.reception guy was helpful,gave tips on where to go etc.great price too for rooms.basic place,but had a great time staying here,anything else u need to know?
nathan420stoner

Post by nathan420stoner »

booked here for next week anyone stayed here before? what tram number is it and is it still smoker friendly?
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Last time I asked them they said its no longer smoker friendly :(
Just a chick counting the days to her next trip...
Mack 10

Post by Mack 10 »

I would be surprised if they stopped the smoking,
That's the best thing about Hortus.
Stopped there many times and while its not really somewhere to take your girl,(ie,not so fancy)
For a lads/ ladies trip its perfect.
If you ask they will get the verdamper out.
Lafe

Post by Lafe »

nathan420stoner wrote:booked here for next week anyone stayed here before? what tram number is it and is it still smoker friendly?
Tram 9. It's a short ride to Rembrandtplein.

CS Het Ballontje is nearby on Roeterstraat. Kriterion Filmtheater is also on Roeterstraat. It has a magnificent cafe and free wifi, cheap drinks and toasties. Kriterion is open late on weekends until the last film is over, usually around 2:30.

Cafe Koosje is on the corner by the tram stop. It's a good place to both eat and drink.

I like the new Ballontje much more than the old. More comfortable and friendlier, although the old had some steady strains that were always a good deal. The new is affiliated with another CS, so the menu is similar.
"Laif" with a long "a".
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

I thought Het Ballonetje was affiliated with Rusland, and remember it from the days when that place was a favourite of mine. Since then things have changed, and I haven't been to either for ages. Have things changed?

Haven't stayed at Hotel Hortus, but have been in non-smoking Hotel Plantage nearby, and it's convenient for Overkant Hortus. Which sometimes has amazing black hash, and at other times is very ordinary. But it's always pleasant, and has newspapers and a good view. You might risk a smoke in the Wertheimpark, but I didn't, and just enjoyed Other People's Dogs.
Lafe

Post by Lafe »

Fat_old_dwarf wrote:I thought Het Ballonetje was affiliated with Rusland, and remember it from the days when that place was a favourite of mine. Since then things have changed, and I haven't been to either for ages. Have things changed?

Haven't stayed at Hotel Hortus, but have been in non-smoking Hotel Plantage nearby, and it's convenient for Overkant Hortus. Which sometimes has amazing black hash, and at other times is very ordinary. But it's always pleasant, and has newspapers and a good view. You might risk a smoke in the Wertheimpark, but I didn't, and just enjoyed Other People's Dogs.
Ballontje has changed quite a bit. You now see the BT near the entrance, behind the bar. You must be buzzed to enter the CS proper. In the CS, it has been well reorganized and there is much more space. Still have to endure the murder stairs to get up to Tobacco Balcony.

Rusland, I spent a bit of time there last year after the remodel. It's comfy and modern, maybe a bit sterile but I still enjoyed it. I had a nice conversation withe the Russian chap behind the counter. Some day I hope to stay at the Radisson Blue across the street, I really like the area.
"Laif" with a long "a".