Am I able To Take a Vaporizer Through UK Customs?

AmsterdamWeLove

Am I able To Take a Vaporizer Through UK Customs?

Post by AmsterdamWeLove »

Hi all, as the title suggests would I have any issues taking a Crafty portable vaporizer through customs? Am just wary that they may be able to take it if it's been used and at the expense it cost me wouldn't be worth the risk.

My guess is this will not be possible but thought I would see of anyone has any experience of this.

OneHighMofo

Re: Am I able To Take a Vaporizer Through UK Customs?

Post by OneHighMofo »

Ab-so-fucking-lutely you can - tried and tested with the Storz n Bickel Mighty just last week.
And I'd used the little puppy just 5 minutes before going through - the little fella was still warm :)

If anyone asks - it's an electronic aromatherapy device. It's for vaping lavender, camomile - any herb that contains essential oils.

Personally I think people worry too much about customs, a couple of trips to Dam ago - I got pulled on the way out and asked to search my bag, no problem I said - the guy pulls out my grinder, caked from years of use and a pipe sticky with oil. He asked me what they were for and I replied. You know what they're for - my boarding pass which you've just looked at tells you I'm going to Amsterdam. He just rolled his eyes and let me through.

In march the guy at Schipol that pulled my pipe containing a half roasted bowl laughed and said 'good luck in England".

Be polite, dress reasonably smartly and give em a smile and a cheeky grin and you'll be fine :)
AmsterdamWeLove

Nice one, thanks for the responses guys much appreciated.

Just 6 more days and I will be back :D
bleak

Post by bleak »

Not disagreeing with whats been said. I've also taken used vaporizers/pipes etc on international flights a few times and no problems. But I want to caution people not to be TOO relaxed about it. Taking vaporizers that are still half filled with weed is just begging for trouble.

Devils advocate: In the eyes of the law, if theres a piece of resin attached to your piece, its the same as carrying a piece of hash/weed. Doesn't matter how small or burned out it is, THC is THC.

People DO get busted for carrying drugs every day. Maybe its only 0.01% of travellers who get busted. But in a large international airport, thats still 1 person every day who gets a permanent criminal record and loses their job (you might think I'm being over dramatic but this has happened to a family member of mine, its no joke!)

Lets say the customs official doesn't like your face or is in a bad mood. Maybe your skin color or your clothing fits their idea of "suspicious". So he decides to put you through the ringer just because he can. Maybe he hasn't busted anyone in a few days and needs to keep a quota.

Whatever the reason, if they decide to test your piece for THC you're fucked, simple as that. Its an easy test done on the spot, they wipe it and wait for the color to change.

Whenever possible I try to post this stuff through the mail instead. Suggest reading the link I posted before making a decision, there are 20+ pages of discussion about this issue.

+1 on dressing smartly and being polite. When approaching officials I always smile and say "hello sir" or "good morning" etc. Most people are rude to the officials. Be friendlier than everyone else in the line, they'll see you as a breath of fresh air and they won't bother you. I ALWAYS wear a shirt when I travel now, because you become invisible. Years ago I used to travel wearing my everyday clothing (which is colorful/skater/punk style), and almost every time they would pick me out of a line of people to be searched.
AmsterdamWeLove

Thanks for your input Bleak, this is what I thought would be the case. The only concern of mine is that they take my Vapo that cost me a couple of hundred, which I have probably only used twice as I have a desktop at home. Think my best option is just to leave it at home better to be safe than sorry, then just get a cheap one to use during my stay.

It's not really essential anyway as we are staying with Amsterdam Cribs and we have many happy days smoking here, just thought it would be nice to take for some use and to try some quality weed with it rather than the crap I get here.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

That's good advice from Bleak - and I guess you're right to be worried about losing your baby.

My only thought to the contrary is 'why would they suspect it as being a device for consuming cannabis?' if anyone did know what it was for - surely they'd be of similar mind to you?

Perhaps I'm too laissez faire?
:D
bleak

Post by bleak »

OneHighMofo wrote:That's good advice from Bleak - and I guess you're right to be worried about losing your baby.

My only thought to the contrary is 'why would they suspect it as being a device for consuming cannabis?' if anyone did know what it was for - surely they'd be of similar mind to you?

Perhaps I'm too laissez faire?
:D
When you say losing your baby, do you mean having the vaporizer confiscated? Personally, if I was caught with THC residue that would be the least of my worries, compared with being charged with drug possession/importation. Think about having your actual baby taken away by government child protection because the parents are "drug abusers". Its unlikely but it does happen on a regular basis.

You'll probably be fine, but there is always a risk. So please take it seriously and do your research.

They could suspect it was used for cannabis because of the smell, visible residue etc. Its a gamble. Most customs officials probably won't care or are too dumb. But what if you get that one official who is a hardcore Christian anti-drugs type? The one who takes it personally, he researches drug paraphernalia and takes satisfaction in busting pot heads on their way back from Amsterdam (easy targets). Its unlikely, but rest assured that officials like this do exist, and people are charged with drug possession every single day around the world. Don't let it be you, be smart about it.

Regardless of whether its new or used, I always take my weed gear apart into as many pieces as possible, and then distribute the pieces throughout my luggage in a way that discuses them as much as possible. By they way, they can't just confiscate things willy nilly. Even if they know its a cannabis vaporizer, they would still have to prove its a banned item or has THC residue. Vaporizer's themselves are not illegal in any country I'm aware of. Its the residue thats the problem.

Not trying to be a downer, this is the cold reality of the situation. My advice is meant for all ACD members reading, not just the original poster.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Yeah I do mean losing the vaporiser - sorry; colloquialism.
I guess there's always a risk - personally I believe (and experience tells me) that it's a very real but manageable and navigable risk. Especially if one is careful not to have a device covered in residue… Getting caught with a caked grinder was just me being dumb :D
OneHighMofo wrote:Regardless of whether its new or used, I always take my weed gear apart into as many pieces as possible, and then distribute the pieces throughout my luggage in a way that discuses them as much as possible. By they way, they can't just confiscate things willy nilly. Even if they know its a cannabis vaporizer, they would still have to prove its a banned item or has THC residue. Vaporizer's themselves are not illegal in any country I'm aware of. Its the residue thats the problem.
Also good advice - and making it much less likely that the customs officer will spot the use of the device.
dconstrukt

Post by dconstrukt »

bleak is right.

NO WAY is it worth the potential risk.

you get caught, YOU ARE FUCKED FOR LIFE.

that shit is on your record forever.

my advice? FEDX

send it overnight.

the day before you leave.

you arrive.

the package is there.

end of story. :)
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

dconstrukt wrote:you get caught, YOU ARE FUCKED FOR LIFE.
Get caught with what? A vaporiser isn't illegal.
RvanSteensel

Post by RvanSteensel »

OneHighMofo wrote:
dconstrukt wrote:you get caught, YOU ARE FUCKED FOR LIFE.
Get caught with what? A vaporiser isn't illegal.
THC is
if its used , its illegal
Relax and take notes , as I take tokes of the marihuana smoke
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

Nail varnish remover (ISO) and cotton buds from Albert Hein cosmetics dept. Job done :D. Although definitely FedEx if your crossing the pond. :wink:
What a long strange trip it is.
dconstrukt

Post by dconstrukt »

@ OneHighMofo - LOL cmon man… you can't be THAT fucking retarded today, can you? :) read the damn posts homie and stop smoking before you comment.. LOL :)

@ RvanSteensel - thank you… the voice of reason. :)
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

dconstrukt wrote:@ OneHighMofo - LOL cmon man… you can't be THAT fucking retarded today, can you? read the damn posts homie and stop smoking before you comment.. LOL
:) yeah I read it man - I just think all this 'Ooh nooo it's dangerous' stuff is a bit melodramatic.

If the unit is clean - customs have no reason to check it. Customs have no real reason to check it even if they know what it is… they're looking for large amounts not a few triches stuck to the side of a dirty vape….

As I said - I've been through customs at major international airports in the UK carrying dirty grinders, used vapes - etc.
Never had any trouble.

I guess if you're nervous about it don't do it - personally I think you're worrying too much. Unless you've a pound of hash down your pants customs have got better things to worry about than a dirty vape bowl.

Just my opinion.