How to use the tram - fast

Getting there and getting around.
Strawberries

How to use the tram - fast

Post by Strawberries »

When I arrive at Central Station I need to get to Leidseplein in about 20 minutes.
I understand I can take Trams 1, 2 or 5 but how do I pay the fare. It's the only journey I'll be making by tram on this trip so I just want to be ready with a single ticket rather than have to buy a ticket when I arrive. Or can I pay the driver?
In visiting Amsterdam many times over the years I've never taken the subway or tram so this is all new to me.

notsofasteddie

Re: How to use the tram - fast

Post by notsofasteddie »

When travelling by tram in Amsterdam, most locals make use of the public transport chip card (OV-Chipkaart), checking in and out at the start and end of their journeys (and whenever they change trams). However, it is possible to purchase a one-hour ticket aboard the majority of Amsterdam trams – a ticket attendant sits in a booth towards the rear of most trams; otherwise the driver at the front can assist you. You can also purchase 24- and 48-hour tickets aboard the tram (valid only for GVB services, including buses and metro). Other types of tickets can be purchased at GVB Tickets & Info offices or GVB ticket vending machines.

http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/visiting/p ... sport/tram
Strawberries

Re: How to use the tram - fast

Post by Strawberries »

The one-hour ticket bought within the tram sounds perfect.
Many thanks!