THC test time: How to calculate the amount of THC you’re toking in a joint

Bud reviews. Varieties of marijuana.
OneHighMofo

Re: THC test time: How to calculate the amount of THC you’re toking in a joint

Post by OneHighMofo »

Fascinating! Upto 40-50% loss of THC when burnt in a joint (according to one study) :shock:

LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

Engineers and Scientists are so impractical. Like anyone casually reading will take the formula and calculator around. Why not just say, "Take the listed THC measure, multiply by 88%, then add a variance of 1-3%"? Instead we get, "THC max = THC + THCA / 358.48 * 314.47".

Now if you are growing, operating a seed bank, etc., different story. But in that situation, I'd want to know how they devised the formula in the first place.

I will admit my more practical solution is wrong if they have parenthesis around certain portions of the formula.

The biggest eye popping information in that article was the waste in a joint. Wow!

But my rule of thumb is still to test it out and consider if I feel stoned, or if I am lucky enough to have a novice around, let them smoke and wait for them to say, "I don't feel anything." Then I know it is pretty good stuff.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

LLMReb wrote: Wed 1st Feb 2017 02:27 pm But my rule of thumb is still to test it out and consider if I feel stoned, or if I am lucky enough to have a novice around, let them smoke and wait for them to say, "I don't feel anything." Then I know it is pretty good stuff.
:lol:

It tells me I need to step up my bong game for 4/20 - there's no chance I'm burning coffeeshop flowers at the current exchange rate.
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

LLMReb wrote: Wed 1st Feb 2017 02:27 pmThe biggest eye popping information in that article was the waste in a joint. Wow!
Are you really that surprised? Joints burn when they're not actively being smoked, and loss is inevitable even if you have a large circle of stoners who are perfectly organised when it comes to puffing and passing (stop laughing at the back). But most of the time people smoke joints on their own, or maybe with one or two friends who tend to get distracted, so add more smoke to the atmosphere as you try to get their attention. At least with a pipe you can put it out between tokes.
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

I typically get a pipe, and I like stopping at La Tertulia to pick up a simple pipe. I can never really get enough weed over here to even get remotely decent rolling a joint, and I have to conserve as much as possible here in Texas. So joints are completely out of the question. I didn't know that much was wasted, but here where I must conserve my resources, I had to quickly learn that one can smoke a joint, or one can break up a joint and make it last much longer out of a bowl.
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

notsofasteddie wrote: Tue 31st Jan 2017 04:30 pmFirst, I hate to break it to you, but your Kush joint is not actually 15 percent THC. The THC in flower or bud is mostly in the non-psychoactive acid form, THCA. After the joint is sparked, the heat from burning converts THCA to psychoactive THC, a process known as decarboxylation.

According to The Werc Shop’s report, a calculation for theoretical maximum THC is needed, and here’s the formula they employed:

THC max = THC + THCA / 358.48 * 314.47

For simplicity, I don’t include the 1 percent to 3 percent THC possibly present in your gram of flower as this is an unknown. The calculation for the Kush is thus:

0 + 15 / 358.48 * 314.47 = 13.16 percent maximum THC
I'm not sure I get all this. In the first place, as I understand it, percentages for THC, or rather THCA, in what you're smoking are unlikely to be accurate, even if you're smoking a strain that's been tested. I know some shops post the info, and if you're lucky it's a rough guide, showing what a particular sample of the strain tested at recently. (If you're not, they're just brown figures.) But let's assume you are smoking 15% THCA weed that can at best give you 13.16% active THC. 'At best' means that it might be less. What determines this? The strain itself, your smoking technique, whether the wind is from the west? How can the actual amount be measured, and if it can't, isn't this all speculation?
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

LLMReb wrote: Wed 1st Feb 2017 04:26 pm I typically get a pipe, and I like stopping at La Tertulia to pick up a simple pipe. I can never really get enough weed over here to even get remotely decent rolling a joint, and I have to conserve as much as possible here in Texas. So joints are completely out of the question. I didn't know that much was wasted, but here where I must conserve my resources, I had to quickly learn that one can smoke a joint, or one can break up a joint and make it last much longer out of a bowl.
I imagined Texas as the land of wide open spaces and next to Mexico, and would have thought weed would be all over the place. What's the point of all that land if large areas of it aren't filled with a decent crop?
tinky

Post by tinky »

OneHighMofo wrote: Wed 1st Feb 2017 03:00 pm
LLMReb wrote: Wed 1st Feb 2017 02:27 pm But my rule of thumb is still to test it out and consider if I feel stoned, or if I am lucky enough to have a novice around, let them smoke and wait for them to say, "I don't feel anything." Then I know it is pretty good stuff.
:lol:

It tells me I need to step up my bong game for 4/20 - there's no chance I'm burning coffeeshop flowers at the current exchange rate.
I'll be bringing my Cloud evo with me for 420. Good hits and smoother than bong hits. More than welcome to use
macky

Post by macky »

Fat_old_dwarf wrote: Wed 1st Feb 2017 04:38 pm
LLMReb wrote: Wed 1st Feb 2017 04:26 pm I typically get a pipe, and I like stopping at La Tertulia to pick up a simple pipe. I can never really get enough weed over here to even get remotely decent rolling a joint, and I have to conserve as much as possible here in Texas. So joints are completely out of the question. I didn't know that much was wasted, but here where I must conserve my resources, I had to quickly learn that one can smoke a joint, or one can break up a joint and make it last much longer out of a bowl.
I imagined Texas as the land of wide open spaces and next to Mexico, and would have thought weed would be all over the place. What's the point of all that land if large areas of it aren't filled with a decent crop?
Going to jail for drugs in Texas is scary thing .There very big on law and order ...if your not rich :D
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

One of life's eternal mysteries is why more people don't use simple pipes. I'm not talking about those who have vapes, or enjoy the process of making the ephemeral artworks that are joints, but newbies are always popping up here and elsewhere saying they can't roll, and they're told about pre-rolls (shit) or cones or asking for help or any number of other joint-related solutions. A basic €5 pipe allows you to have a smoke immediately, control the amount you consume (important for newbies) and not waste most of it. There's probably a study to be done into the psychology of this.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

tinky wrote: Wed 1st Feb 2017 04:56 pm
I'll be bringing my Cloud evo with me for 420. Good hits and smoother than bong hits. More than welcome to use
I'll look forward to a blast on that - always wanted to try one. I'll have the mighty with me too :)
Artheush

Post by Artheush »

Thanks for this information ! :)
GoatCheese

Post by GoatCheese »

First, like mentioned..
THCA converts to THC.
..as youre smoking a joint/bong
or by curing the bud in a jar for a while, which is also a decarboxylation process

Second..
You can't really calculate the amount of THC you're getting cause you most likely don't know how much there is THC in your bud or hashish in the first place.
Then you have think about the "smoking style", or how much a person is able to intake; small puffs or lung bursting big tokes? ..and so on
Fascinating! Upto 40-50% loss of THC when burnt in a joint (according to one study)
Well, atleast there's some left after combustion, cause it ususally fucks me up!! :mrgreen: I dunno 50% sounds alot.
Also, some of the THC is also being vaporized when your smoking a joint, not all of it is "burned away". So how much THC is there left to be destroyed By the "hot cherry" of a burning joint, when THC is vaporized infront of it whne hot air moves thru it when youre toking it ..could be that there's not much left for the "cherry" to really burn away.

:)