Amsterdam Neighbourhoods

Suggestions, complaints and news about coffeeshopdirect.com
Lemming
Site Admin

Amsterdam Neighbourhoods

Post by Lemming »

A while ago I attempted to divide the street index for Amsterdam into districts. The districts I used were the ones written on street signs. You may have noticed that underneath the name of the street is a district name like this:

In fact, these districts appear to be based on something historic. They are vaguely similar to but not the same as the city boroughs.

The present boroughs are: Amsterdam-Centrum, Amsterdam-West, Amsterdam-Nieuw-West, Amsterdam-Westpoort, Amsterdam-Zuid, Amsterdam-Oost, Amsterdam-Zuidoost and Amsterdam-Noord. I think these were created by merging earlier boroughs and, maybe, they were in turn created by merging whatever the districts on the street signs represent.

Keeping up?! :D

Long ago I created my own divisions of inner centrum, west centrum, south centrum, east centrum, western suburbs, southern suburbs, eastern suburbs and northern suburbs. Sub-dividing those into districts was an attempt to group shops at a more local level.

I'm now attempting a further sub-division into neighbourhoods. My hope is that this will group shops both geographically and culturally, as neighbourhoods tend to have distinct architecture and feel about them.

Some neighbourhoods still contain a lot of shops and could be divided into even smaller areas but there are no obvious divisions to use. For instance, in the centre I've already divided the 1012 postcode area into new side and old side but these still include lots of shops. The Red Light District is a definable area but only has the Bulldog left in it these days. The Spui area is quite distinct but otherwise these areas are tricky to sub-divide.

Similarly, the southern canal belt (Grachtengordel-Zuid) has distinct zones around the Leidseplein and Rembrandtplein, but these areas have no defined boundaries.

In the past I used postcodes to automatically group shops. This sometimes works to bring together natural clusters but not always. I'm still using this method outside Amsterdam but have now attempted an improved grouping within the neighbourhoods in this new index.

So, this is what I've got at the moment. It's still a bit rough and work in progress.

Amsterdam Neighbourhoods

CopenhagenCouple

Re: Amsterdam Neighbourhoods

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

Good work Lemming, it seems to work nicely and is a good supplement to the other "divisions"... :D
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

This is progressing slowly. Here's the latest prototype.

Once I've got this plumbed into the site I'll start working on improving the actual shop pages with walk-in Streetviews and other enhancements.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Still only a prototype but it's all taking shape now.

I've added a dropdown menu to the 'Directory' button at the top. This leads to a new intro page, the Amsterdam Neighbourhoods, a new province intro and a new town index.

Each town now has its own page so I can do a bit more with them in time.

A few notes:

* It's still a bit rough.
* If you navigate outside of the new content then the only way back is via the back button.
* If the top menu is a bit screwy you may need to use shift-F5 to reload the style sheet.

https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/DirectoryIntro.html