what is the latest to leave Amsterdam to catch flight?

Getting there and getting around.
Kev kirk

what is the latest to leave Amsterdam to catch flight?

Post by Kev kirk »

Hi fellow acd’ers was looking for drawing on your previous experiences. what is the latest time you left the city to get to airport. Only doing a day trip my nxt visit and would like to maximise my time in the dam.my flight home is 9.45 they say you should be there 2 hrs before but would rather still be in a Coffeeshop than sitting in an airport I won’t have any luggage so was thinking as long as I am on the train by 8.30 this should give me enough time to get through schipol and make my flight

choppermike

Re: what is the latest to leave Amsterdam to catch flight?

Post by choppermike »

You will miss your flight.

Flight at 21.45 means gates closed 21.15.
Allow 1 hr. from Train platform at Schipol to Aircraft gate - safe if security is moving.
So 20.15 arrive Schipol means be on train departing Central Station by 19.50.

RECOMMENDATION IS CATCH PRE 19.30 TRAIN, NECK A SPACE CAKE OR 2 ON TRAIN AND HAVE A COUPLE ROLLED FOR OUTSIDE SCHIPOL BEFORE GOING THROUGH SECURITY.

Works every time for me ☺
.. in the avoid curve :mrgreen:
Papi

Post by Papi »

choppermike wrote: Sat 11th Nov 2017 10:44 pm You will miss your flight.

Allow 1 hr. from Train platform at Schipol to Aircraft gate - safe if security is moving.

RECOMMENDATION IS CATCH PRE 19.30 TRAIN, NECK A SPACE CAKE OR 2 ON TRAIN AND HAVE A COUPLE ROLLED FOR OUTSIDE SCHIPOL BEFORE GOING THROUGH SECURITY.

WIse man has spoken, listen to his words.
Edibles on a plane is my middle fucking name
choppermike

Post by choppermike »

Standing in Schipol at 21.45 with no weed watching your aircraft leave without you is a very very bad Buzz.
.. in the avoid curve :mrgreen:
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

I leave the city 2 hours before my flight and still have to rush sometimes
Just a chick counting the days to her next trip...
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

choppermike wrote: Sun 12th Nov 2017 05:10 pm Standing in Schipol at 21.45 with no weed watching your aircraft leave without you is a very very bad Buzz.
Spoken from experience no doubt :lol:
TwoCanucks

Post by TwoCanucks »

choppermike wrote: Sat 11th Nov 2017 10:44 pm You will miss your flight.

hey now, we do this every time. the outdoor smoking area before security usually has someone tooting.
Amsterdam dreaming.............
matty223

Post by matty223 »

The new security airport sucks in April took me 3 hrs to get through all 3 check points,

Matty. TSA
Dave near London

Post by Dave near London »

Well for an European flight at 1500 today - it took about 5 mins , - quite superb really - my scan was somewhat amused by my very relaxed position , which I think they picked up on with a very jovial stance.

Plenty of last min joint smoking going on at the outside smoking areas ......
notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie »

matty223 wrote: Wed 15th Nov 2017 10:22 am The new security airport sucks in April took me 3 hrs to get through all 3 check points,

Matty. TSA
Given all the increased security, the growing tightness of resources, and expanded flight traffic at Schiphol, if you're flying trans-Atlantic or other non-short hops, three hrs. might even be conservative! It's better to be stoned on the airplane than at the airport looking for a plane!! :roll:
Lafe

Post by Lafe »

notsofasteddie wrote: Sat 25th Nov 2017 01:05 am
matty223 wrote: Wed 15th Nov 2017 10:22 am The new security airport sucks in April took me 3 hrs to get through all 3 check points,

Matty. TSA
Given all the increased security, the growing tightness of resources, and expanded flight traffic at Schiphol, if you're flying trans-Atlantic or other non-short hops, three hrs. might even be conservative! It's better to be stoned on the airplane than at the airport looking for a plane!! :roll:
I do three hours lately. It used to be you didn't go through security until your departure gate. In those days, I would hold some hash in my personal bag, go through passport control and then find a cafe near my gate. At about boarding time I would consume the hash with hot chocolate or yogurt. That had it kicking in at about wheels up time.

Nowadays, you go through security first. It wrecked the timing of my (excellent) plan. I suppose one could still sneak something as small as a gram of hash through security and then on to a cafe for consumption, but why risk it? Now I'll consume the hash elsewhere with some brekky in the stomach to slow it down. I still don't have that technique quite dialed in: how much does one eat with the hash to time it correctly? All I'm looking for is a nice buzz and comfy nap on the flight back. #firstworldproblems
"Laif" with a long "a".
GorillaGlue

Post by GorillaGlue »

So if i am doing a transatlantic flight back to the states that departs at 12:25, if i arrive at Schipol around 8:30, will that give me enough time? Note that i will have bags.

Last time i was there in march 2015 I boarded the plane very shortly before takeoff. I dont want to cut it that close again hahhaa
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Yeah you'll be in good time there.
I normally get the 9:15 flight home and generally make sure I'm arriving at Schipol for 7:00pm.
I've not missed one yet but have come close a few times.

A three hour wait seems excessive to me - but if you've got some pre-rolls in your pocket and 100mg of edibles in your belly it's easy to kill a spare hour or two.
matty223

Post by matty223 »

GorillaGlue wrote: Sun 21st Jan 2018 03:37 pm So if i am doing a transatlantic flight back to the states that departs at 12:25, if i arrive at Schipol around 8:30, will that give me enough time? Note that i will have bags.

Last time i was there in march 2015 I boarded the plane very shortly before takeoff. I dont want to cut it that close again hahhaa
The e new security measures at schiphol suck, last april took me over 3 hours to clear, almost missed my flight,

Matty
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

matty223 wrote: Sun 21st Jan 2018 07:17 pm The e new security measures at schiphol suck, last april took me over 3 hours to clear, almost missed my flight,
Yeah those things definitely slow proceedings down. Did you go through at peak hours too?