Electronic Music Production and Recordings thereof, maybe normal production as well...

Tunes, bands and gigs.

Moderators: Balou, 2rollingstoned

Pierre von Mondragon

Electronic Music Production and Recordings thereof, maybe normal production as well...

Post by Pierre von Mondragon »

Yeah, by 'popular' demand, of one person, here is a thread to discuss (Electronic) Music production and recording, and also for the music made as a result, I'll go first, I've been doing it for about twenty years now, and have gone from hardware to all in the box, and now back to hardware, using Cubase as a really flexible synchronised recorder and editor with FX, rather thab as the place where the actual creation happens.
This being creativity though, there is no one way to do things, there are as many as there are people and combinations of equipment, low budget or high end, amateur hack or guy who actually knows about microphone placement.

All my stuff is hugely niche, and is usually... odd, depends though, weird in music is something you can acclimatise to fast, but there is always someone further out...
https://mondragon.bandcamp.com/
Every piece of music has guaranteed cannabinoid application at point of production! That is the Mondragon seal of TRUTH

DjShaggy

Re: Electronic Music Production and Recordings thereof, maybe normal production as well...

Post by DjShaggy »

Pierre von Mondragon wrote: Sat 28th Apr 2018 10:18 pm Yeah, by 'popular' demand, of one person, here is a thread to discuss (Electronic) Music production and recording, and also for the music made as a result, I'll go first, I've been doing it for about twenty years now, and have gone from hardware to all in the box, and now back to hardware, using Cubase as a really flexible synchronised recorder and editor with FX, rather thab as the place where the actual creation happens.
This being creativity though, there is no one way to do things, there are as many as there are people and combinations of equipment, low budget or high end, amateur hack or guy who actually knows about microphone placement.

All my stuff is hugely niche, and is usually... odd, depends though, weird in music is something you can acclimatise to fast, but there is always someone further out...
Every piece of music has guaranteed cannabinoid application at point of production! That is the Mondragon seal of TRUTH
listening to the treeline EP with my coffee and morning joint. not a bad word can be said, great sound! looking forward to transfering from the laptop speakers to my headphones later for a proper listen, sounds like your music will be fantastic through headphones.

i hope more forum members have music (or indeed anything else creative, videos, art, photography) to share, its great to hear and see what others can do. I am a dj for the last 15-20 years, i started 20 years ago with a set of belt drive turntables, then slowly started building my record collection then after leaving school i started to learn how to properly beatmix. Ive now got some beautiful CD players and a top spec mixer to compliment them, unfortunately hardly any time to use any of it, aint that just the way!
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
Pierre von Mondragon

Re: Electronic Music Production and Recordings thereof, maybe normal production as well...

Cheers man, appreciated! Been at itsince '97 on and off...

I do like things to sound better when you're high, fun and fx in the stereo field! Almost all analogue and hardware up to the point of recording, into Cubase. Got lots more stuff I haven't recorded due to university, that will get done once my thesis is finished. I can never really settle to one micro-genre though, have to keep at least slightly diverse.

You got any mixes online?
Pierre von Mondragon

For anyone that has stuff, not just me, dig in if you wanna!
CloudMaster

Post by CloudMaster »

Pierre von Mondragon wrote: Sat 28th Apr 2018 10:18 pm Yeah, by 'popular' demand, of one person, here is a thread to discuss (Electronic) Music production and recording, and also for the music made as a result, I'll go first, I've been doing it for about twenty years now, and have gone from hardware to all in the box, and now back to hardware, using Cubase as a really flexible synchronised recorder and editor with FX, rather thab as the place where the actual creation happens.

I read this thread late on Saturday and immediately decided that in the morning I would go get some of my old sound studio stuff out of the attic. Had been thinking about setting up a new sound studio having put down music making over 20 years ago. Sunday morning I located my keyboard sampler, multichannel mixer job, DAT tapes etc. Ex son in law helped himself to my 1210's so won't see them again (I couldn't mix vinyl for toffee anyhow :oops: ).

Having been initially high on the idea of getting setup again I began to take a look at what I could salvage, well the keyboard sampler seems ok but no samples in the bank, mixer seems to be all good, DAT machine and tapes however have not survived the ravages of time. Even if I did have the samples I suspect now that there would be a lot of work involved to bring them up to the quality available these days.

I used to utilise Cubase too but dont have the software now, and as you say it was mostly for minor editing and recording etc. Looking at my needs and as you say quite individual way of doing things, just wondering if it may be easier to like you go for an all in one box solution. Im big on anything down tempo electronica, psychedelic and the odd banging beat, have been known to drop a stonker or two after one too many cough syrups though (Bedroom DJ drug affliction :shock: ).

Just wondering if any of you are using anything like Ableton hardware such as keyboards, sample pads etc integrated with their software? and any recommends for a reasonably priced DJ controller? I understand that most folks have a bespoke setup but it would be great to get an idea of how you are doing things, been out of the loop for a very long time and much has changed for the better (easier).

P.S still working my way through PMV bandcamp 8)
Pierre von Mondragon

Hey, good stuff, it's never too late to get back on the horse, perhaps bike is a better term... Anyway, I understand how life can get in the way of doing stuff, but exercising your creative muscles just makes a person feel so much better.

There are so many ways of doing things as you know, it can be hard to recommend specific gear without knowing how it will fit in. I'm sure if it works your sampler can get some use, and your samples might have gone all the way round to vintage desireables, so the choices seem to be;
1- All in the box plus controller, Everything happens in a PC/Mac, I have mates that do great stuff with Ableton and their Push controller, pretty much all in the box, using soft synths etc, then bouncing them down to audio clips which Ableton then effects, sequences, stretches etc. If you want to do a lot of stuff mainly with loops, this is the way forward. Only need a MIDI interface to bring in the sampler. Controllers are good and well integrated enough now, apparently you can do most of your editing on the controller. I don't know much else about this approach because it is not for me, but it totally might be for you
2- Mainly Hardware with Computer for recording and editing. The hardware sector is crazy these days, with so many many things. I got very fed up with recognisable or longer samples and loops and wanted to works with chords and lines and scales, and just sample individual hits and drums, and everything is happening on either my 4 synths, or my wee drum machine and sample player, or my Strat. I use a hardware sequencer because the idea of mousing about to create music just isn't happening for me, I'll post a photo of the set up after. You could get a groovebox all in one thing, like the old MC 303 (had one, sounds are mainly mediocre), but those seem to mainly take the form of keyboard workstations. I recommend a good long look at the synth, sampler etc sections on a big shops website, then watch videos on YT to see if you like stuff. Lots of forums out there too, some are even helpful! I specifically built my set up so that I could write and sound design without ever needing to go in to my DAW until I want to record.
3- Hybrid, using bits of both
It's difficult to suggest specific gear, and so many on the internet default to recommending the things they use, but that might not be right for you. Also, what soundcard/interface are you using, my current one can only record 2 tracks, and I miss being able to do 4 at a time on my older PC.
All the best, ta for the listen, and if you have any other questions, fire away.
CloudMaster

Post by CloudMaster »

Pierre von Mondragon wrote: Thu 3rd May 2018 10:30 am Set up
Thats an extensive setup you have there, recognise some of your hardware which shows I may not be too out of touch :lol: I see the left side of your desk is the "business" end :mrgreen:

I'm certainly inspired and take on board your comments, 20+ years out and my tastes have changed significantly as has my ethos on music production. In the early days I would sample extensively from known artists and re-engineer my owns sounds but I now see that as pure thievery of another persons creative and intellectual property.

Moving forward I think the hybrid setup will probably be my best option and looking at cubase 9 it appears to fit my needs pretty well. Just inherited x4 Windows 10 machines with decent speed and storage but very basic sound cards, the plan is to utilise all 4 machines using 2 decent HD sound cards on each machine. In fact I was so inspired I spoke to an old acquaintance earlier from my/university days who is still involved in music production and he has given some pointers on the hardware side of things, as you say many options so will have to look into synth & controller options.

As I said, I had been thinking about setting up a sound studio for a couple of months and looking at your pics it seems my plan to build a studio/computer lab will pay off with tidy cabling and installation, already got the 7.1 sound system in place but having issues with subwoofer location as anything above -6db is making the walls and floors shake :roll:

I have a whole raft of questions so probably best if I PM you with those, tend to stay away from live threads these days in fear of embarrassing oneself after cough syrup indulgence.

Thanks for the tips in the meantime, appreciate the effort and time taken in posting all the information and pics!
HashyH

Post by HashyH »

Some of my efforts here https://m.soundcloud.com/hmoniker
Most are live jams with the synths etc
Haven't put anything on there for a while. Got a backlog of recent stuff to upload, just haven't had time to get round to doing it lately.

I haven't put myself out there with this, apart from creating a page and tagging certain genres. I really enjoy the playing/sequencing/recording/mixing processes and started the page to share stuff with mates, maybe the occasional curious stranger.
I took it really seriously for a decade until about 8 years ago when my old band split up.
I reckon I enjoy and appreciate making music 500% more, now that I do it solely for enjoyment.
Pierre von Mondragon

CloudMaster wrote: Thu 3rd May 2018 10:10 pm
Thats an extensive setup you have there, recognise some of your hardware which shows I may not be too out of touch :lol: I see the left side of your desk is the "business" end :mrgreen:

I'm certainly inspired and take on board your comments, 20+ years out and my tastes have changed significantly as has my ethos on music production. In the early days I would sample extensively from known artists and re-engineer my owns sounds but I now see that as pure thievery of another persons creative and intellectual property.

Moving forward I think the hybrid setup will probably be my best option and looking at cubase 9 it appears to fit my needs pretty well. Just inherited x4 Windows 10 machines with decent speed and storage but very basic sound cards, the plan is to utilise all 4 machines using 2 decent HD sound cards on each machine. In fact I was so inspired I spoke to an old acquaintance earlier from my/university days who is still involved in music production and he has given some pointers on the hardware side of things, as you say many options so will have to look into synth & controller options.

As I said, I had been thinking about setting up a sound studio for a couple of months and looking at your pics it seems my plan to build a studio/computer lab will pay off with tidy cabling and installation, already got the 7.1 sound system in place but having issues with subwoofer location as anything above -6db is making the walls and floors shake :roll:

I have a whole raft of questions so probably best if I PM you with those, tend to stay away from live threads these days in fear of embarrassing oneself after cough syrup indulgence.

Thanks for the tips in the meantime, appreciate the effort and time taken in posting all the information and pics!
Yeah, you should go for it! PMing questions is fine, I'm academic writing just now, so depending on how its going I might get back straight away, if I'm procrastinating, or it might take a wee while if I have a genuine burst of inspiration, but no worries. I do still feel that their is some creative potential left in sampling, even other stuff if done well, but I just never felt as great a sense of ownership over the end track with big long looped samples.
Speaking of academia, must dash!
HashyH wrote: Fri 4th May 2018 09:38 am Some of my efforts here https://m.soundcloud.com/hmoniker
Haven't put anything on there for a while. Got a backlog of recent stuff to upload, just haven't had time to get round to doing it lately.

I haven't put myself out there with this, apart from creating a page and tagging certain genres. I really enjoy the playing/sequencing/recording/mixing processes and started the page to share stuff with mates, maybe the occasional curious stranger.
I took it really seriously for a decade until about 8 years ago when my old band split up.
I reckon I enjoy and appreciate making music 500% more, now that I do it solely for enjoyment.
Cheers, had time to check the first few, all good. Music is something you always have to make for yourself first and foremost I reckon, that is the only way to have the willpower and creative energy, doing things for others first rarely works, you need to connect with it. Be cool to see a pic of the set up if possible.
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

Nice thread and nice gear you guys are playing with! :D Really sweet setup there PvM, maybe some day we could all do a great big collab weekend thing, get f00king melted and cut some mean tracks together...! :D

Does a past spent at (or rather as part of the crew behind) major electronic music / demo gatherings, roadie and studio tech work count in this category BTW..? Cuz besides him playing the drums once in a while and her having a great voice (although out of practice) that's where most our experience lie... :D
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
Pierre von Mondragon

CopenhagenCouple wrote: Fri 4th May 2018 02:05 pm Nice thread and nice gear you guys are playing with! :D Really sweet setup there PvM, maybe some day we could all do a great big collab weekend thing, get f00king melted and cut some mean tracks together...! :D

Does a past spent at (or rather as part of the crew behind) major electronic music / demo gatherings, roadie and studio tech work count in this category BTW..? Cuz besides him playing the drums once in a while and her having a great voice (although out of practice) that's where most our experience lie... :D
Oh yeah, it all counts, sounds ace, have to hear some of your stories about that. If I'd known about all the music heads I'd have offered to open house for a jam/sesh in Leiden, as it is the offer stands! That or hire a room in the Dam somewhere, I'll take a few things up on the train.
HashyH

Post by HashyH »

Pierre von Mondragon wrote: Fri 4th May 2018 10:50 am

Yeah, you should go for it! PMing questions is fine, I'm academic writing just now, so depending on how its going I might get back straight away, if I'm procrastinating, or it might take a wee while if I have a genuine burst of inspiration, but no worries. I do still feel that their is some creative potential left in sampling, even other stuff if done well, but I just never felt as great a sense of ownership over the end track with big long looped samples.
HashyH wrote: Fri 4th May 2018 09:38 am Some of my efforts here https://m.soundcloud.com/hmoniker

Cheers, had time to check the first few, all good. Music is something you always have to make for yourself first and foremost I reckon, that is the only way to have the willpower and creative energy, doing things for others first rarely works, you need to connect with it. Be cool to see a pic of the set up if possible.

Thanks PVM. I'll PM you a pic at some point.
Will give your stuff a listen tonight. Only saw this thread this morning, props.
HashyH

Post by HashyH »

Pierre von Mondragon wrote: Fri 4th May 2018 10:50 am

Excuse the mess etc