return from london to ams train - €160-200

flight time 50 mins
train time 3 hrs 45 mins

its a no brainer really

ignoring spellcheck since 1986
Dave near London

Re: Dutch working on 4 hour train from Amsterdam to Berlin

Post by Dave near London »

The journey from Amsterdam to Berlin is one of the "classic" routes left - old school trains , comfy enough ,with an engine change at the border - which takes about 20 mins or so - (handy to nip out for a cigarette) - done it several times. Odd in this Schengen era (and I write from Britain which will be soon out of it) - that this inefficent practice still holds. If they need to get up with the modern world - they need to speed up , get some nicer and newer coaches - and make the most of a big flow.
FODSmith

Re: Dutch working on 4 hour train from Amsterdam to Berlin

Post by FODSmith »

Britain never was in Schengen.

That brings back memories, though, of relatively cheap rail tickets to London from Berlin, when I could break my journey at Utrecht and catch a train to the Dam for a day or two. There were trains from the Hoek van Holland that went to Moscow. Long gone.

Comparing times of trains and planes really depends where you're starting from. If you're in central London, you can stroll up to St Pancras in a leisurely way and be in central Amsterdam less than 4 hours later. Would it really take you less time to get to your flight, through security, through Schiphol, then the train to Centraal Station? I doubt it, and in any case it's far more stressful. The 35€ fare is a bargain; the problem, of course, is getting back, but there are other possibilities.