Amsterdam Coffee Shop Overview (July 2019)

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
RedGecko58

Amsterdam Coffee Shop Overview (July 2019)

Post by RedGecko58 »

Back from July trip to Amsterdam - overall great trip tried a few new coffeeshops with some pleasant surprises, also visited Tenerife this month so will post review of club in due course.
As usual - I have a slight obsession with hash - Also my preference is medium strength weed/hash, and smoking several joints with tobacco rather than one strong J. Furthermore the strain names are take with a pinch of salt, all purchases are based on looks and smell before paying.

El Gaupo (New to me) :)
Strain - Tidigne Hash- 10 Euro / g - Bought this after visiting the shop to buy a poster. Seen on their social media the King Hassan which I also intended on trying. The tender suggested this over the king Hassan but let me see both (both same price). Good quality regular Moroccan hash - strong enough to put you to sleep if you have to much before 10am :wink:
7.5/10
Atmosphere - A new shop for me, having passed several times on previous visits. I just done a buy and fly but although the shop is small the tender was nice and there was space to sit and smoke. I plan on visiting this on next trip and staying for a smoke - their more premium hashish wares look good.

Katsu (New to me; Every trip list) :D
Strain - Hiya Hash- 10 Euro / g - Popped in here after being at the Albert Cyup market - ended up visiting several days but only bought once. Nice long slice of hash - soft and pliable, bubbled with even the lightest heat.
Good quality regular Moroccan hash - strong enough to put you to sleep if you have to much before 10 am ;)
7/10
Atmosphere - A new shop to me, a good spot between Vondel Park and Albert Cyup Market or on the way to Kashmir Lounge. Great atmosphere, ended up sitting outside in the sun (and rain). Owner / Manager was very friendly and joined us outside for a smoke. Plenty space and nice decor.
Their products were good, I don’t think they are the go to place for higher quality - but despite this they will no be on my ‘every trip list’ due to atmosphere (Full list at bottom of write-up).

Boerejongens
(Every trip list) :D
Strain - Super Silver Strawberry Haze - 14 Euro / g
Originally intended on buying the white choco-block, having previously tried their SSH block, Madeline, Tbizla, Tangie. Looked at several of their hashes and this was a nice blonde crumbly hash - while the block hashes are not typically harder presses this was notably fluffy. As usually one of the best hash in Amsterdam - strong in both intensity and flavour if you are not looking for Moroccan hash.
I would say I preferred the SSH block I had on my first trip.
8.5/10
Atmosphere - I only ever buy and fly from here - but the tenders are pleasant and once you show you are not a new smoker and know what you want (i.e hash) they don’t do the ‘sell, sell, sell’.

The Jolly Joker (New to me; Not recommended) :(
Strain - Lemon Haze 14 Euro / g - Stopped here as I have passed it on many RLD nights, its usually busy and always looked like it had an ambiance. They have a very limited menu - I bought weed as I primarily smoke hash and their menu for that was poor.
The weed was too dry, crusty and crumbled between fingers. Smoked a couple joints of it - not impressed. This was my mistake, usually in the RLD I visit Greenhouse at night due to ambience and location.
2/10
Atmosphere - A new shop to me an excellent location but the quality has put me off. Although, again this was my mistake shops in the RLD have lower quality, higher prices. The tender was not really friendly and wanted a sale straight away. Let me know if you think this was an off night?

De Overkant Hortus (Every trip list) :)
Atmosphere -
I nearly always visit here on my way to and from Hortus Botanicus (Botanical Gardens) Nothing bought apart from drinks on this visit - I have previously been pleasantly surprised by the cheapest hash they have (4-5 euros). No issue buying drinks and smoking.

Siberie (New to me; Every visit list) :D
Strain - CBD West Coast OG (Outdoor) 7 Euro / g - Finally!! Finally!! Decent quality, outdoor, low strength cannabis. Excellent if you are looking for all of the above or need something for filler with Hashish.
10/10 (My first ever 10/10 I think)
Atmosphere - A new shop to me, stopped here as soon as we got to Amsterdam. I wanted something light to start me off, others had a pre-roll and said it was good. Surprised me as this is actually a nice shop to smoke in, staff were friendly and happy to show me all their outdoor variety. I will now visit this shop every trip unless quality decreases.

Other places

Kashmir Lounge - Usually visit if going to Vondel Park etc - nice atmosphere.
Hill Street Blues - Actually managed to get the window seat 3 time on this trips. Great if you had non smoking friends with you.
Kokopelli - As always.

TLDR: Overall a very pleasant trip to AMS - a few new shops, some keepers, some not. I was a bit disappointed that a few shops we tried to visit were just far too busy this time (Dampkring, Tweede Kamer, Grey Area).

I still plan on collating / writing a review of all my trips - relisting all the products we tried, our favourites and also a overview of the citys we have visited (Amsterdam, Hague, Apeldoorn, Arnhem, Eindhoven).

Every trip list: Dampkring (sentimental), Boerejongens (New School Hash), Katsu (Great smoking area), Siberie (Quality outdoor), De Overkant Hortus (if going to Hortus Botanicus), Het Ballonnetje (if going to zoo)

Still to visit: Tweede Kamer, Grey Area, Barneys

Thanks for listening to my ramble - Spanish Cannabis Club review will be up soon!

macky

Re: Amsterdam Coffee Shop Overview (July 2019)

Post by macky »

Nice report :mrgreen:
Essexturk420

Post by Essexturk420 »

Glad you had a good time sounds a bit smokey too :mrgreen:
titus wong

Post by titus wong »

A nice read, thanks!
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
FODSmith

Post by FODSmith »

RedGecko58 wrote: Mon 12th Aug 2019 03:21 pmLet me know if you think this was an off night?

No, you're pretty much spot-on there with the Jolly Joker. I went in there exactly once, several decades ago, because at the time few coffee shops opened earlier than 12, or at least the ones I knew and liked didn't. The view is good, but that's about it. Nothing I've heard from anyone in the intervening years has made me think I'm missing anything.

Looking forward to your further reports.
Hashsmoker

Post by Hashsmoker »

Jolly Joker, long long time ago I felt welcome there.
But the staff changed for worse.

Obligatory purchase - bad hash.
I wanted to sit upstairs, somehow the waitress couldn't cope with my choice and she insisted that I moved down - where she could keep an eye on me - I still wonder if she thought I was gonna set the place on fire or misbehave in every other possible way :roll:
On an other occasion another waitress gave me the stare of death as if I had done something terrible - I was innocent :mrgreen:

That was years ago never felt the urge to go in there again.
RedGecko58

Post by RedGecko58 »

Essexturk420 wrote: Tue 13th Aug 2019 05:31 am Glad you had a good time sounds a bit smokey too :mrgreen:

titus wong wrote: Tue 13th Aug 2019 10:35 am A nice read, thanks!

macky wrote: Mon 12th Aug 2019 05:10 pm Nice report :mrgreen:
Ta! Enjoyed writing it!
RedGecko58

Post by RedGecko58 »

Hashsmoker wrote: Tue 13th Aug 2019 02:38 pm Jolly Joker, long long time ago I felt welcome there.
But the staff changed for worse.

That was years ago never felt the urge to go in there again.
FODSmith wrote: Tue 13th Aug 2019 01:22 pm
RedGecko58 wrote: Mon 12th Aug 2019 03:21 pmLet me know if you think this was an off night?

No, you're pretty much spot-on there with the Jolly Joker.

That's a shame but it means one less coffee shop to 'retry for a while'

Here's a few pictures from this trip!
Tidighne from El Gaupo

Hiya from Katsu

Outdoor from Sibirie

Super Silver Strawberry Haze block from Boere
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Nice report, you should add the individual coffeeshop reviews in the Coffeeshops Reviews forum too, a lot of people will go there to see what the recent wares are like in specific coffeeshops so what you have here is very useful info for the Coffeeshop threads.
Bring back Imelda Marcos!