Virus

Anything else.

Moderator: Balou

DjShaggy

Re: Virus

Post by DjShaggy »

Comus wrote: Fri 24th Apr 2020 08:33 pm not so .... the assembly hasn't got the remit to enforce a lockdown .... westminster has control of that
I was under this impression but sturgeon seems to think otherwise

ignoring spellcheck since 1986
Comus

Post by Comus »

we were discussing the welsh assembly and now you are confusing that with the scottish government :lol:
I'm in shocks and stares
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Comus wrote: Sat 25th Apr 2020 08:57 pm we were discussing the welsh assembly and now you are confusing that with the scottish government :lol:
Has he? Or is the confusion really Wales and it's pseudo-autonomy? I've a loose understanding of how devolution worked in Scotland and Northern Ireland, but I don't get the Welsh part. It seems to be "devolution lite".
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
Comus

Post by Comus »

that's pretty much it .... give a few fringe powers to an assembly ... mostly the expensive stuff like healthcare, education, policing, environment etc but don't allow any divergance from parliamentry laws or allow any tax raising powers ... bit of a con really

to address a previous claim on the thread .... wales can't end the lockdown unless the man says go
I'm in shocks and stares
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

Here in the USA lifting the lock down, has become all the talk, however a great number of people don’t want to go out until there’s some sort of game changing breakthrough, my wife and I are in that group.

How do you guys feel about this, and the idea of travel and going to concerts?

Now to clarify I’m a retired person living in the rural part of Pennsylvania, I don’t have to work, but my trade would have been considered essential.

We’re not planning anything in2020 any more. However we will get through this and we are planning a trip to Amsterdam in 2022
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
Comus

Post by Comus »

the way i feel is that aside from a game changing breakthrough with the managing of the virus there simply has to be a dramatic game changing societal breakthrough ... especially here in the UK .... it's just not possible for us to pretend that we just pick up where we left off

if this episode has taught us anything, it's that the dead horse of a politcal/economic model that's been flogged in the pointless persuit of mythical continual growth has been broken for a very long time. it needs to be replaced with something else. my fear is that the lunatics who have manouvered themselves into positions of powers will take the opportunity to change things for the worse.
I'm in shocks and stares
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Willjay wrote: Sun 26th Apr 2020 10:49 pm Here in the USA lifting the lock down, has become all the talk, however a great number of people don’t want to go out until there’s some sort of game changing breakthrough, my wife and I are in that group.

How do you guys feel about this
The problem in USA and here in UK is that the virus has been allowed to spread so far. It's going to take a long time to reverse those months of uncontrolled transmission.

Today New Zealand announced that it has eliminated the virus, at least for now.

Here I'm not even sure that they've abandoned their disastrous 'herd immunity' strategy.

At least in USA you have a cure - just keep injecting the disinfectant :roll:

Stay safe.
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

Don’t forget, the lockdown was never intended to kill the virus but simply to slow it’s spread untill the nhs has passed its peak flu season and can cope with the numbers.

It doesn’t matter if we ended lockdown next week next month or next year there will be a “second peak”
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

DjShaggy wrote: Mon 27th Apr 2020 02:06 pm Don’t forget, the lockdown was never intended to kill the virus but simply to slow it’s spread untill the nhs has passed its peak flu season and can cope with the numbers.
Yes, exactly. The aspiration in UK was never to contain and eradicate, it was just to mitigate and pursue herd immunity. Countries like New Zealand, South Korea, even China after a disastrous start, have shown that there is a better way.

It looks like UK will soon overtake Italy, Spain and France to become second only to USA in terms of death toll.
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

Comus wrote: Mon 27th Apr 2020 12:01 am the way i feel is that aside from a game changing breakthrough with the managing of the virus there simply has to be a dramatic game changing societal breakthrough ... especially here in the UK .... it's just not possible for us to pretend that we just pick up where we left off

if this episode has taught us anything, it's that the dead horse of a politcal/economic model that's been flogged in the pointless persuit of mythical continual growth has been broken for a very long time. it needs to be replaced with something else. my fear is that the lunatics who have manouvered themselves into positions of powers will take the opportunity to change things for the worse.
I feel like I live in the nation you described when greed and capitalism replaces common sense and dignity
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

Lemming wrote: Mon 27th Apr 2020 12:09 pm
Willjay wrote: Sun 26th Apr 2020 10:49 pm Here in the USA lifting the lock down, has become all the talk, however a great number of people don’t want to go out until there’s some sort of game changing breakthrough, my wife and I are in that group.

How do you guys feel about this
The problem in USA and here in UK is that the virus has been allowed to spread so far. It's going to take a long time to reverse those months of uncontrolled transmission.

Today New Zealand announced that it has eliminated the virus, at least for now.

Here I'm not even sure that they've abandoned their disastrous 'herd immunity' strategy.

At least in USA you have a cure - just keep injecting the disinfectant :roll:
Stay safe.
You forgot the UV light up your arse :lol:
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

DjShaggy wrote: Mon 27th Apr 2020 02:06 pm Don’t forget, the lockdown was never intended to kill the virus but simply to slow it’s spread untill the nhs has passed its peak flu season and can cope with the numbers.

It doesn’t matter if we ended lockdown next week next month or next year there will be a “second peak”
Here in the USA our Covid 19 deaths are about to pass the death toll of the Vietnam war, in just under 3 months :(

The second wave of the flue pandemic of 1918 here in Pennsylvania was way deadlier than the first wave.
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

I posted this a while ago on Facebook:

Imagine if a country like this one managed to infect 60% of its population only to discover that those people have not gained immunity. Not only would that country have wasted countless lives for nothing, they would also have created a massive reservoir of infected people to endanger those countries that had taken a more responsible approach.
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

Ok so stop complaining. What’s the answer? Obviously locking everyone up in their houses for the rest of their lives isn’t going to work.
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

DjShaggy wrote: Mon 27th Apr 2020 06:30 pm Ok so stop complaining. What’s the answer? Obviously locking everyone up in their houses for the rest of their lives isn’t going to work.
Science and Patience is the answer,
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org