Strains by Shop

Suggestions, complaints and news about coffeeshopdirect.com
Lemming
Site Admin

Re: Strains by Shop

Post by Lemming »

Well I've decided to go live with this.

On the menu tab of each shop the available strains data is now displayed.

There are a few more things to do to fully integrate it which I'll sort out soon.

I've also doing more experiments with linking the Cannabis Strains forum, including creating new topics using quotes from existing posts in places like the shop reviews. I hope nobody objects to this. My hope is to encourage more posts about specific strains in the Cannabis Strains forum which will then automatically appear on the strain pages.

AzLaker

Post by AzLaker »

That's super nice Lemming. The latest strains, prices, feedback, and menu, all in one click. Fantastic! :D

I can't wait to try it in a couple of weeks and hopefully add a few comments. :mrgreen:

AzLaker
8)
If you never do, you'll never know.
Tokeing tom

Post by Tokeing tom »

Yes great idea I didn't quite get where you were going at the start but I fully get it now, great addition man 😉👍
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Not sure I knew where I was going either.
It's still evolving. I just changed the links from strains to shops so they go directly to the menu tab.
Tokeing tom

Post by Tokeing tom »

While walking home earlier passed the parish priest... Drunk again Tom says he.. So am I father.. But anyway I'm confused again lemming 🙈
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

All I mean is if you're on a strain page - say White Widow - and click on one of the shops listed as stocking it, it used to take you to the general info tab for that shop whereas now it takes you to the menu tab. That's all.

Most of these decisions are based on what I find most useful when I'm testing it. This may be quite different to how real users find their way around so I always appreciate feedback.
Tokeing tom

Post by Tokeing tom »

I've just spent a bit of time clicking about and yes it's very good lemming, I'd say it took quite a bit of time to create and updating will be a bitch with all the new new Strain names that appear every week, thanks for you time man 👍
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

I've added a few more subsets: Haze strains, Kush strains, Cali Weed and Moroccan hashes.

You might have noticed I've also added a few random strains to the strains forum and embedded them on the strain pages. Originally I put some quotes from the forum into the menus sections but they were a bit big for that so I changed to this method.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

There are now over a thousand strains in the database so I think it's becoming quite a useful resource. Many strains are now linked to their corresponding topic in the Cannabis Strains forum so you can comment on a good batch you found recently or whatever and your words will appear on the strain page. For instance, you can see recent posts on the Sour Diesel page.

All feedback appreciated and, if you'd like to help, please send your menu pictures to FBN and post your reviews in the Cannabis Strains forum. Between us we can build something that we may all find useful.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Latest addition is some external data.

Where available, on the strain pages there is now sativa/indica classification and cannabinoids proportions according to several different websites.
Obviously this info is scraped from the sites and I've provided links to the original sources.
I find it fascinating to compare how these sites and the coffeeshops describe strains. Sometimes they all agree but in other cases they vary widely.
In the future I may improve the scraping programs so that they grab more data and match more strains.

As usual, please let me know whether you find this useful, how well or not it works on your device and where I've made any mistakes or my programs have grabbed the wrong data.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

I've attempted to improve the calculation and presentation of shop rankings by price.

At this moment the cheapest shop is Eerste Kamer in Leiden and the most expensive is Andalucia in Amsterdam. The whole chart shuffles around every time I enter a new menu, though.

For situations like Dutch-grown versus supposed US imports and hashes derived from the same strain by filtering versus water hashes, I've devised a method (an algorithm, if you like) to divide some of the strains into two sections. So, for instance, Gorilla Glue hash now has regular and premium average prices.

I've also attempted to make the price breakdowns a bit more visual. So, if you open Coffeeshops Rated by Price and click the 'V' -like symbol next to any shop name you should see a list of products also available in other shops and a comparison against the average price. Red indicates an above average price, green for cheaper. Lots of green takes a shop towards the top of the chart, lots of red towards the bottom.

Of course, price is no indication of quality and the chart is only a bit of fun, but it entertains me and occasionally highlights anomalies.

As usual, comments, corrections and suggestions welcome.
Jesscass

Post by Jesscass »

Regarding prices:

since there is at least(still unregulated though)a rough standard when it comes to classic lineages like White Widow, Northern Lights, Super Skunk and Bubbblegum to name a few(I chose them as they indeed more or less established so with Haze and Kush it would be even more complicated and mislabeled ) – while they still can differ within a certain town let alone other provinces – this is just not the case when it comes to Moroccan hashish.

Sure there are different qualities to be had in general on the market but in my experience there is more hit and miss when you buy something named 'Super Pollen' than something named 'White Widow'.

Yes, it is still an unregulated market but when classic wiet is concerned there is less false labeling than compared to hashish.

So a visitor of the Amsterdam Coffeeshop Directory could think that he gets the same quality of Amsterdam Super Pollen for four € cheaper in lets say Maastricht. It is probably quite a different product while a White Widow in both towns has probably more in common among themselves.

Probably means 'tend“ here by the way as I'm not saying it is the same.

Again, still an unregulated and outdated Dutch approach to this plant as it is still an unregulated market and the name game is on big time.

While I think this idea of showing prices is good intention it eventually leads to a false impression as there is no standardisation yet.
You compare names rather than quality respectively quality of certain lineage!
Respectively you buy names instead of genetics mostly as they as illegal don't necessarily represent the strain and its genetics.
Let alone all the misspellings when it comes to hashish or even strains of wiet, not just by the coffeeshop but also by reviewers myself included.

Shit happens and all that.

This is all very confusing, especially to new newbies.

Bullshit! Dillemea, too!

Though maybe one could say reporting all those prices and summing them up can roughly, very roughly, show if a coffeeshop is more on the expensive side or not but it doesn't say much about quality and honest labeling. I hope I could get my point across here.
In a legal context this idea would be very useful indeed.

Just my two cents.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Hi @Jesscass. You're quite right, of course. In fact I think I've made the same point before.

One of the reasons for starting this was in order to rate shops by price for Google. Their system ($, $$ or $$$) is really designed for restaurants but they like the info for all kinds of businesses.

In fact, the usefulness for restaurants may be similarly limited. An expensive eatery might be so because it's exceptionally good or just because it's a rip-off. A cheap place might be a bargain or just rubbish. Not so different to coffeeshops really.

Anyway, I think it's useful info even if it does come with lots of caveats. Readers can combine the raw data in the database with the reviews on the forums to get the clearest picture available.

If you add reviews to specific strains then they appear on the strain pages. If you add them to the shop reviews then they appear on the shop pages. Either are appreciated. Most of our reviewers tend to do the latter, presumably because they feel that they're reviewing a specific batch in a specific shop rather than a generic strain.

I would like to encourage more people to add reviews to strains as well as shops. Readers will be scanning through the list of shops where a particular strain is available so a comment in the forum extract saying that a batch in a shop is particularly good or bad adds a lot of useful info and overcomes some of the limitations you point out.

Generally the strains data seems to be proving very popular. The strains pages are well read and the number of daily visitors to the site as a whole has more than doubled over the past year so it's bringing people in. Some of those people will probably find the forums eventually too, so it's all good.