2022 Hajj to Mijn Mekka - Week of 420

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
ed the head
Location: New Amsterdam of my mind and of my making. Trips:3, Haj:14

2022 Hajj to Mijn Mekka - Week of 420

Post by ed the head »

My annual holy Hajj to Mijn Mekka was sadly interrupted by life and economics in 2019, and the Covid-19 in 2020 and 2021 :(

As Covid lockdowns began to ease, I took a risk early in January hunting for roundtrip airfare. To my surprise, a new direct flight from more convenient Newark (EWR) airport was available at about 60% previous fares! Possibly too good to be true at $505.

I made sure I was vaxxed, boosted and negative tested ahead of time. Flight check in was via mobile app and although it requested and I supplied pictures of all relevant document, the app did not confirm me as checked in :shock:

Once at the airport, all fears vanished as no one inquired about status or proof :shock: :lol:

I arrived Centraal Station about 7:30 am Saturday morning the 16th. The weather was cool but spectacularly clear. Little did I know the umbrella packed in my bag would see no daylight the entire 9 days.

Naturalijk - erste stop CANNABIS. SO thankful for Centraal Coffeeshop to so consistently open their doors early for us weary new arrivals. I wish I could remember exactly what I bought :wink: 1 gram of some type of Kush :mrgreen: With a joint rolled up I depart and walk up Geldersekade to see when Het Gerderse Coffeeshop open - they're alleged to be carrying my dearly coveted SHORELINE. Closed - natualijk! :mrgreen: Onward Edward!

Over to Oudezijdvoorburgwal to the Bulldog Hotel. WAY too early for check in but dropped off bags, greeted many old friends, made a few new ones and before long I meet up with AZLaker and Stan at Het Ballonetje on Roetersstraat. Couch lock is setting in early, before long Stan has collated our combined 'must do' itineraries and we're off LOPEN on our missions.

The entire city is picture perfect in the spectacular sunshine. A bridge on our route is closed - no problem. AZ & I are impressed by how many people know and greet Stan. I mention he seems like the Mayor of Amsterdam. Later, I think Stan may not like the term. I hope he now knows it was meant as a high compliment. Anyhow, Stan navigated us everywhere we needed to go. Please don't ask me where :lol: by this time TOO STONED FOR DETAILS. I KNOW we hit the Seed Bank on Nieuwendijk (Paradise Seeds WAPPA, OPIIUM & TANGERINE SORBE), and I THINK we hit Baba on Warmoesstraat :mrgreen: and I am sure a few more that I can't recall now.

I don't remember WHO or WHEN but someone turned me onto SHORELINE being available at SOLO on Korte Konningsstraat. I don't remember exactly when, but this was among my early first day stops where I was thankful to secure 5 grams.

Editing this now after reading Gapie's account - I completely forgot about our awesome dinner out on the Centerbaan with Gapie and AZ. It's so good to see Manuel and Davide again at Casa Nostra. Authentic, hand made pasta daily, now adding pizza to their menu. Nice outdoor seating enabled us to enjoy smokes with our fantastic red wine and anti pasta, followed by a beautiful margareta pizza, pasta ragu, and steak. Fantastico! Afterwards, we did a little too much lopen and I bagged out as AZ and Gapie made off to meet Ghost.

Relying now mostly my memory assisting photos :lol: Sunday the 17th rolls around. :shock: :mrgreen: 8) Another spectacular day. I am tromping the street with a new buddy named Alan from the UK,

later chilling on the roof deck with a new friend from France named Gregiore.

At some point, I made the walk down to The Media Markt on Oosterdokskade and picked up an inexpensive Blue Tooth speaker for the week. Again, too stoned to figure out how to attach to the damn thing but lucky for me The Almighty One provided again and a group visiting from Ireland also just happened to sell these devices back home and so they helped an old stoned man out and away we went with a whole week of sunshine and tunes. :mrgreen:

At some point, Ghost shows up with his buddy and we're hanging canal side in front of the Bulldog hotel with two lovely young ladies joining us from Bilboa.

By and by, Ghost breaks out the DABS array. There is some interest on the behalf of the Bulldog staff - I anticipate being asked to stop but it didn't happen. Later, the same condition repeats inside the Hotel Bar. NUGZ arrives, we meet Codie420 and her MUM - Amsterdam Haze.

Worsel and Lemming is in town, we meet at Nightbar The Bottle next to 420 on Oudebrugssteeg

Couch lock increasing by the minute - I miss many T&Ts. Please take no offense Good Forum Members. At some point, CC arrives. Thankfully, I've no photos of him :mrgreen:

I'm making nearly daily trips to SOLO. When the SHORELINE looks beat, I take NUGZ advice and opt for the GRAPE. Not disappointed in the least, though surprised to see both listed as Sativas :?: 8) On one such walk, I happen to pass a funky street jazz band. Here is a photo, but to get the full effect take a peek at my Instagram edwardbythesea

SOLO budtender Andrea and I become quite friendly and she manicures my purchase by carefully removing all bud from stem. Another SOLO bud tender is quite fashionable and attractive - well worth the lopen.

Actual 420 is upon me before I realize it. Apparently, I've organized two T&Ts :shock: :lol: I manage to drag my ass to 420 Cafe about an hour and a half ahead of 4:20 meet time and I thankfully see ACD members at Nightbar The Bottle. I just now realize I haven't eaten since breakfast and am starving, take a circuitous route to a ham and cheese croissant and join the group. By now, we're time pressed, so I devour the food and down my beer and CC and I enter the packed 420 looking for seats. We grab two stools up front by the window, and as luck would have it, seats open at the big table behind the bud tenders so we grab them. Now, more ACD members come in and begin to occupy increasingly vacating big table seats to the point where we occupy 90% of the table. Chalk up another Amsterdam Miracle - Thank you God.

I'm in an incredible fog my now - CC may have been sitting next to me, or, it may have only been a good dream. Deja vu of years past as the clock hits 16:20 and the budtenders ignite two foot longs and pass it among the patrons. Mind you, everyone is already holding some form of consumable, but oh well, dive in. Overwhelming but also the subject of many a good photo. Please, ask no detail :lol:

Seems the ACD crew has a long itinerary between now and my next scheduled T&T at the Smokeboat at 19:00 ... I opt for what I hope is a quick and easy stop at my hotel. Experience a short stint of Stoner panic when I can't find my Smokeboat reservation for this year (the one from 3 years ago won't help :lol: ). Thankfully, I see Chopper Mike at the boat and he helps me figure my issue out.

Boats are much bigger now, with little outside space which Mick and I occupied and were joined by a group of young travelers from Ireland. We had fantastic late day light for some spectacular photos. I have one of me and Mick but will wait to post in case he also wishes to remain incognito.

The bliss continues. Apparently, The Bulldog has classified me a VIP guest, I'm getting a deep discount ($46/night), a double bed, extra pillows and towels, and lots of affection. Beds so comfortable, it's like sleeping back in mothers womb. Shower so large, like bathing in a private villa, water so hot as to never chill, even the toilet paper feels like velvet there. Frequent free fresh mint teas or coffees in the morning, frequent free beers at night.

In a flash, Amsterdam transitioned from Covid shutdown to Packed Amsterdam again. Some locals are struggling with it but most seem to welcome it. Ik houd van Amsterdamers - you guys rock.

Thankful for the best trip yet. All my Amsterdam experiences are just like a crescendo. Each moment builds upon the last and it is joyful to experience. I don't know how or when the crescendo will end, I don't care. I am just along for the joyful ride.

Ik houd van Amsterdam.
Amsterdam is mijn Mekka.
Bedankt, tot ziens.

(edited by Lemming at Ed's request)
Last edited by ed the head on Thu 28th Apr 2022 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

He who tries to shine dims his own light
brufy

Re: 2022 Hajj to Mijn Mekka - Week of 420

Post by brufy »

A very enjoyable trip report. Hugely jealous!
Over four years on ACD and none the wiser…
ed the head

Post by ed the head »

brufy wrote: Thu 28th Apr 2022 11:03 am A very enjoyable trip report. Hugely jealous!
Thanks Mate.

Granted, I was super Stoned 24x7 ... BUT ... I'm pretty sure I saw the Google Maps car drive by one day I was sitting in front of the Bulldog.

The Google Maps image up now dates to Sept 2021, so it may change soon.

Hoping to see my pixilated face up there soon!
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

Great writing buddy, thanks! 😁👍 It was a real pleasure to see you again and this time have more chances for some nice chats, I really enjoyed that :mrgreen: It was also a real treat to get to spend time with Ed the head on his home turf in "Casa Ed", you my friend can be a real party machine :mrgreen:
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
ed the head

Post by ed the head »

CopenhagenCouple wrote: Thu 28th Apr 2022 03:17 pm Great writing buddy, thanks! 😁👍 It was a real pleasure to see you again and this time have more chances for some nice chats, I really enjoyed that :mrgreen: It was also a real treat to get to spend time with Ed the head on his home turf in "Casa Ed", you my friend can be a real party machine :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: tusan takk :mrgreen:
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Nice one Ed!

Incidentally, if you want to display pics in your post just put img tags around the path like this:

Code: Select all

[img]https://www.420magazine.com/community/attachments/funky-street-jazz-band-jpg.2517829/[/img]
Which does this:

I can do it for you if you want but wasn't sure whether that's the look you wanted.

Love the pic of us outside The Bottle. Hope everyone shown is happy to be seen (I am but can't speak for all).
ed the head

Post by ed the head »

I am happily joining the tech challenged crowd

Please be my guest and edit away

Make it pretty Spam Slayer
:mrgreen:
ed the head

Post by ed the head »

Lemming wrote: Thu 28th Apr 2022 03:50 pm Nice one Ed!

Incidentally, if you want to display pics in your post just put img tags around the path like this:

Code: Select all

[img]https://www.420magazine.com/community/attachments/funky-street-jazz-band-jpg.2517829/[/img]
Which does this:

I can do it for you if you want but wasn't sure whether that's the look you wanted.

Love the pic of us outside The Bottle. Hope everyone shown is happy to be seen (I am but can't speak for all).
I am happily joining the tech challenged crowd

Please be my guest and edit away

Make it pretty Spam Slayer
ed the head

Post by ed the head »

pixilate those who wish too por favor

or pull it down, whatever is easier for you

meaning no harm

AzLaker

Post by AzLaker »

ed the head wrote: Thu 28th Apr 2022 05:23 pm pixilate those who wish too por favor

or pull it down, whatever is easier for you

meaning no harm

:mrgreen: no
I’m not part of the CIA or the FBI, so fling or sling those pictures of me wherever you like. :wave:
Any royalties involved?: :wink: :shock: :lol:

AzLaker
8)
If you never do, you'll never know.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Excellent read there @Ed with some cracking pics, especially the Bottle and the Bulldog Terrace ones and even managed to get @Az holding the rig :D :thumbup:

I really liked sitting on the outside terrace with you and chatting plants and spider mites and other stuff and what a glorious day it was the sun was baking the back of my head and the view I had was spectacular in all directions :D and thanks for sessions inside Bulldog as I had never been inside there before and thought it was a really nice place.

Will be hoping to be sitting on that terrace next year with you blazing it up :thumbup: and wouldn't mind staying there myself next 420 :D

Good Times
Chase the Green to live the Dream :mrgreen: 8) :D
ed the head

Post by ed the head »

Ghost wrote: Thu 28th Apr 2022 06:54 pm Excellent read there @Ed with some cracking pics, especially the Bottle and the Bulldog Terrace ones and even managed to get @Az holding the rig :D :thumbup:

I really liked sitting on the outside terrace with you and chatting plants and spider mites and other stuff and what a glorious day it was the sun was baking the back of my head and the view I had was spectacular in all directions :D and thanks for sessions inside Bulldog as I had never been inside there before and thought it was a really nice place.

Will be hoping to be sitting on that terrace next year with you blazing it up :thumbup: and wouldn't mind staying there myself next 420 :D

Good Times
Ditto my Brother
Sorry we didn't get you up the roof deck, next time.
You'll love it.
ed the head

Post by ed the head »

:D Thanks Lemming :mrgreen:
Much better
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Amazing Ed, a proper tour de force! After a lack of travelogues the last few years that was a pleasure to read.....and with photos! *claps*

Also kudos again for the TShirt :mrgreen:
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
ed the head

Post by ed the head »

Reading AZ's, Ghost's and Gapie's reports made me realize how much I left out :mrgreen: and if I don't write it down now, it will be gone forever :mrgreen:

Many a fine sess with Codie420 and/or her Mum(a-Mia) around the hostel ...
Ditto Arthur from Missouri ... appreciate the referral to The Old Man on Damstraat. Yer Dad's a good man, be like him if you can
Kirk from Saskatchewan - shine on you crazy Canadian Diamond Back
Linda 'Amsterdam' from Israel - nice chat, thanks for taking our group shot, shine on & be cautious
And Crazy Daniel from Oslo ... possible Norge cannabis connection :mrgreen: nice guy but SPIN GAL
And his cousin Sven and aid Alexander - reminds me of my cousin with CP
Irish queer group ... yer all swell kids but remember what the Dutch say, normal is crazy enough.
Kevin - tough situation, hang in there good soldier. If you haven't already, read Lord of the Flies
Ben - nice chat, kudos on the civilized blokes bachelor party, and best of luck with 'Bud not Buddy'
Thanks to hotel managers Robert and Manuel for the VIP treatment
Thanks to the staff for all the love :D
Thanks to the ACD members accommodating my couch lock :mrgreen: :D

420 was a blast, best trip yet. My only regrets are missing Kings and Remembrance Days. I've experienced that once and would like to repeat it next year for my Hajj, God willing.