ACD Forum's 4/20 Gathering 2023

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
Lemming
Site Admin

Re: ACD Forum's 4/20 Gathering 2023

Post by Lemming »

Tuesday 18th April 2023 - Haarlem and Balou

Despite the long session in The Tribe last night, we manage to emerge a bit earlier this morning than we did yesterday. That gives us a couple of hours to take a long shower and visit Panorama for a really good breakfast. A quick mission to the local AH restocks our munchies stash at the hotel for later.

I've got some pictures of FBN that I hope to photograph the crew with in Birdy later. These go into my 2022 Ghost bag, which has strings that can act as shoulder straps. Fully charged vapes, phones and camera. We're set for the day. Next stop Siberië to meet the rest of the crew.

Siberië

Inside we find Mike, Ghost and Occasional Bowl have been joined by Gapie and a new person to add to my list of 420 veterans, Docgonzo42. All the kit is out and there's a nice little session going on.

There are a few more people expected to join us sometime today. We got a message from Trad and Sammysarahh early this morning saying they'd arrived in town. Heard nothing since though so we guess they might be asleep after their overnight flight.

Gapie sends out a message that we'll wait here until 2pm in case anyone else wants to join our excursion to Haarlem. In the meantime we settle in for a nice chat and smoke - indeed, a Toke &Talk! FBN would be proud.

Docgonzo42 goes his own way, vowing to join us in Birdy later. The rest of us head for the station and Ghost decorates some street furniture along the way.

The ticket machine at the station presents a challenge to some of us but fortunately Igraine is on hand to help us out. Robot defeated, we're soon in Haarlem.

Willie Wortel's Sativa

We pass Willie Wortel's Sativa but don't need to stop now so carry on to Willie Wortel's Indica, by the windmill.

Indica always seemed to be Nol's home shop. Now it's a shrine to him. There are pictures of him scattered around, including our table.

Willie Wortel's Indica

It's interesting to see this rare picture of the long-gone Global Hemp Museum.

Incidentally, the ACD has some historic pictures of Indica, including of Nol.

Igraine notes that we get some Biscotti here, which she says has a strange creamy smell but is diesel in flavour.

Our original, rather ambitious, plan for this afternoon included a grand tour of Haarlem coffeeshops ending up at Birdy by 5pm. After an hour and a half in here it's already 4.30 so we have to abandon that idea and head straight to Birdy.

Rather than going back past Sativa, we go under the bridge to the east of the station, across the road and alongside the water.

Inside Birdy we grab some Vanilla Haze and settle at the table in the back corner by the big windows. Docgonzo42 is back with us and, naturally, there's a proper Toke and Talk in progress.

I know FlyByNite had family connections and friends in Haarlem. He spent a lot of time here and especially liked Birdy. I imagined him sat at the bar for hours, chatting to the staff, recounting stories of his life and telling how many people had viewed Birdy's menu on his site.

A Birdy crew person spots us in the corner and comes over to say hello. She tells us how she's worked here for many years but, sadly, has no memory of our hero. She passes on good vibes and welcome, which is nice.

Now I'm imagining the quiet, humble, dignified FBN saying little and not mentioning menus or internets when he was here.

I arrange the pictures of FBN around Docgonzo42's skinning up kit. My plan is that they should form a backdrop for the crew to blow smoke in front of.

When I try to round everyone up for this performance they all get shy and refuse to play. All except Gapie, that is, so I try to do one of those new-fangled selfie thingies.

After about an hour we're ready to head back to Amsterdam. From Centraal Station a few of us stop at Batavia while others shoot off for a while with plans to reassemble at Balou later.

Batavia is the second building from the left in this picture. It's quite grand but completely upstaged by Saint Nicholas Basilica.

Batavia

Gapie

From Batavia it's back to the tram stop for a ride to Rembrandtplein, ready for our special invite to Balou.

I'm a bit concerned that there are only four of us. I'd told Balou to expect up to twelve! We've received messages from various people saying they're on their way. Ghost and Mike are around Rembrandtplein somewhere, feeding. Tokeing Tom and Gman are in the area too. Bedge says he's nearly here.

We're about 20 minutes early so I'm happy to hang around Rembrandtplein taking pictures and waiting to see if any more ACDers turn up. The others are impatient to get to Balou so we stroll in that direction. Youri of Balou and Gapie are mates and I see they're already shaking hands in the shop doorway so we'd better go and join them.

Youri and I have been emailing each other for a while but haven't met before so introductions and greetings are followed by a look around the shop and its enticing looking stock.

Our host is super welcoming and ushers us upstairs to a nice space specially reserved for us. Next we're all presented with these gift packs from Mascotte containing beautifully packaged papers, card roaches and special filter tips designed specifically for weed rather than tobacco, amongst other stuff.

Before we've finished looking through this lot, a shower of baggies lands on our table. Many of the interesting strains we saw downstairs are represented along with some serious looking prerolleds with names like The Beast.

In fact, everything we need for an excellent party except for the people. I send out a message to the gang telling them to hurry up and get here to help us smoke this lot.

To my relief, the rest of the crew soon join us and get stuck in.

The final crew in the house is Bedge, Docgonzo42, Gapie, Ghost, Gman, Igraine, Lemming, Mike, Occasional Bowl, Phoenix and Tokeing Tom. Now we're cooking!

These include a few ACDers that I've not met in person before. It'll be cool to add Gman, Phoenix and Tokeing Tom to my list of 420 Veterans.

One thing I miss in amongst the festivities is a message from Worsall saying that he's on the first floor at Balou. I should have noticed that we're on the first floor at Balou and he's clearly not here. We later discover that he was in Balboa next door. Sorry mate. Should've spotted that and come and dragged you into the right shop.

Amongst the strains we're sampling are: Burt Reynolds, G-13 Haze, Gary Payton, Gusher Cookies, Jungle Juice, Kosher Kush, RS-11 and Shurbet Quake.

With this proper hardcore panel of ACD experts on the case, the contents of the baggies are soon being converted into smoke and vapour. As usual, I'm consuming everything and loving it. Igraine notes that the Kosher Kush is warm and giggly. All I can say is that it's all good and I'm getting very very stoned. Hopefully some of the ACD connoisseurs will post more detailed descriptions of the individual strains later.

After a couple of hours of enjoying the extraordinary hospitality of Youri and the Balou staff, it's time to move on. We thank everyone and say our goodbyes. Outside it's dark now.

Igraine, Tokeing Tom and Gman in particular are keen that the next stop should be a bar. I suggest Hunter's on Utrechtsestraat where there's a bar and coffeeshop next door to each other.

Hunter's Rembrandtsquare and Hunter's Bar

This seems to meet with approval and the party is soon back in progress.

Then we're joined by Trad and Sammysarahh and the party steps up a gear.

Trad is an honourable veteran of many 420s. I haven't met Sammysarahh before though so that's another person to add to the list. That's still growing nicely.

We're gonna need more weed. It's fortunate that there's a coffeeshop right next door then.

Inside Hunter's Rembrandtsquare coffeeshop

By the time we stagger out of Hunter's the trams have stopped running. It's not far to walk back into the centre but, as we're crossing Rembrandtplein, we spot a night bus. Igraine and me persuade Trad and Sammysarahh to jump on the bus with us.

When we arrive at the Dam we discover that Sam and Trad's hotel is actually closer to where we left. Slightly embarrassed we slink off to our hotel leaving them to catch a bus back the way we came.

Wow! That was a fully loaded day!
Ballonnetje tomorrow.

AzLaker

Post by AzLaker »

Another great read Lemming, to go along with some nice pics of the town and of the 420 gang

Good to see some new faces, (that want to be seen) :lol: and great pics of FBN at Birdy's.

A BIG thumbs up :thumbup: to Ghost for tagging that spot with a ACD sticker, brilliant. :mrgreen:

AzLaker
8)
If you never do, you'll never know.
Smokeybee21

Post by Smokeybee21 »

A great read with fantastic pictures, love it :twisted:
Next trip: September 2023 with the missus.
Tokeing tom

Post by Tokeing tom »

Enjoying the read so for lem 😁👍
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Bonus Episode

As I still haven't done day 4, here are a few extra pictures.

More lovely souvenirs from Ghost.
Two different 2023 bags, one for FBN with menus on it and one with a new selection of coffeeshops.
There's a sticker of The Other Place.
The close-up of the pen was taken in Bagheera.
AzLaker

Post by AzLaker »

Very nice Lem., Ghost knows how to do it right. :thumbup: :) Thanks for the update. :mrgreen:

AzLaker
8)
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Excellent write up so far @Lemming, some really good pics there :thumbup: Not quite sure how I didn't get in the Balou pic, Must have been chatting to someone on an other table maybe. Look forward to next instalment. I must get around to adding to my trip report :thumbup:
Chase the Green to live the Dream :mrgreen: 8) :D
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Wednesday 19th April 2023 - Ballonnetje and Kashmir Lounge

Waking up to find the sun shining brings on some wanderlust so it's off into De 9 Straatjes (the 9 little streets just south of Raadhuisstraat) looking for a different place for breakfast. A nice old bar called Het Molentje, on a sunny corner, draws us in for paninis.

The official schedule for this morning has Tokeing tom and Gman leading a coffeeshop crawl along the Overtoom finishing up in "Betty's". There's been no message from them so far today but, nevertheless, after breakfast, we make our way to Warmoesstraat.

Bar 55, formerly the Greenhouse Effect Hotel bar, also known as Betty's

Inside we find Occasional Bowl. Incoming messages from Ghost, Bedge and Gapie say they're heading for Ballonnetje. Tokeing tom and Gman are apparently lost in action somewhere.

In my part of the world, going for a slash would be a visit to the loo, so this picture next to the gent's seems appropriate.

After a quick drink and vapes, we make our way to the Dam tram stop. When we get there we find that the departures board is completely blank. No trams to anywhere!

Now I'm staring down Damrak through a stoned daze. There's a blur of trams going the wrong way. Then, emerging out of the haze, a fluffy pink tram materialises. As it approaches, a big number 14 becomes visible on the front. Exactly what we need.

The tram takes us to the Artis stop in Plantage, from where it's a short walk to Ballonnetje (The Balloon).

Het Ballonnetje

On arrival we get a lovely warm welcome from Florian. He explains that he's reserved the balcony for us and guides us up the little windy staircase. He asks what we'd like to drink and says he'll bring them up for us. He soon returns with a tray of drinks and a selection of top samples from the menu. It's quite heavenly up here on this balcony.

OB gets stuck in

Ghost is bearing gifts too

Igraine says these are the top selections

In time we're joined by Trad and Sam. Trad is presented with serious-looking ready-rolled joint to spark up.

The testing party now consists of Ghost, Mike, Gapie, Bedge, Worsall, Occasional Bowl, Trad, Sammysarahh, Igraine and me.

Gapie

We pass a very pleasant three hours enjoying this exceptional hospitality in Het Ballonnetje.

Empties

The sun is still shining outside and there's a gap in the schedule before Kashmir later. Where would be a nice place for a beer and more smokes in the sunshine? Sound Garden maybe? The crew are up for this idea so we get ourselves organised and thank the Ballonnetje team for a fantastic afternoon. Florian kindly invites us back to do it all again next year as we stumble out of the door. Thanks again Ballonnetje!

Outside the sun is twinkling on the canals around the university. I remember when the number 7 tram ran along here. Now we have to bumble along to Sarphatistraat to find a tram stop.

The tram drops us outside 1e Hulp. From there we wander across to Sound Garden where we're joined by Nuggz. The garden is quite busy when we arrive so we initially sit inside.

Sound Garden

Being slightly dissatisfied with my Birdy ceremony, I'm now carrying FBN and Hull DJ on tour everywhere. Trad slightly reluctantly poses with the pictures.

By the time we're ready for a second round of drinks a table has become available outside so we move out to the garden.

After an hour or so in Sound Garden we catch a tram to Centraal Station. From there we pop into Batavia for food with Bedge, Gapie, Igraine, Nuggz, Occasional Bowl, Sammysarahh, Trad and Worsall.

Our mission for this evening, as scheduled by Ghost, is to get to Kashmir Lounge, out in the Old West. This is the year of the tram so we jump on a number 17. For some reason this doesn't stop at J.P. Heijestraat so we get off at the next stop. This is a bit disorientating but fortunately Gapie is here and immediately leads us back to the right street.

Kashmir Lounge is a nice old place. I've been here several times over the years, going way back to before the coffeeshop function moved across the road. It still retains much of the feel of the other classic chill out dens of yesteryear like Global Chillage and Rokerij.

Kashmir Lounge

We've been rejoined by Ghost and Mike and inside Kashmir Lounge we find Docgonzo42 waiting for us. He's claimed a nice corner alcove for us. There's a DJ in da house and it's all very pleasant. Vapes out.

FBN and Hull DJ are still on the crawl with us.

The Kashmir session carries on for nearly 3 hours before we decide to retreat back into the centre. We finish up back in The Tribe in a little space upstairs where Ghost plants another sticker.

Eventually the bar closes and we go our separate ways.

Another fantastic day and it's 4/20 tomorrow!
HitTheNorth

Post by HitTheNorth »

Great write up and pics again @ Lemming

I meant to try that Bar 55 and totally forgot, ended up in HSB which I guess us right across the street. Used to be very fond of Greenhouse effect
HitTheNorth

Post by HitTheNorth »

Ps also think it's lovely you took the forum fallen on tour. RIP HullDJ and FBN
AzLaker

Post by AzLaker »

Another sound chapter of 4/20/23. :mrgreen: Great pics to go along with your write-up. :D
Gets me excited already for 2024.
Thanks again Lemming.

AzLaker
8)
stulid

Post by stulid »

Christ, How the hell I haven't come to one of these yet is mind blowing.

Looks like good fun to me.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Quality write up there @Lemming with some great pics to :thumbup: bringing back some good memories there :D The Kashmir lounge was a good evening with some excellent company and some Dam fine smoke 8) :D. I also remember Mike knocking some drinks over in the Bat Cave which went all over peoples food and made a nice mess everywhere :roll:
Chase the Green to live the Dream :mrgreen: 8) :D
Tokeing tom

Post by Tokeing tom »

Great trip report Lemming only coming back to me now some of the stuff ..we totally missed Wednesday morning as we ended up eating all the chocolate edibles and slept until 1 the next day in what I have to say was the quietest room I've ever stayed in dam ..then we had lunch in the foodhallen followed by beers and mushrooms 🍄 😋 them we met up with you guys in kashmir lounge and ended up getting Mr kashmir himself fucked up on mushies (also betty earlier in evening) we stayed there playing guitar with him and his son until 5.30 next morning...Good night
Trad

Post by Trad »

Excellent report Lemming.
That was a fantastic day, great smoke, great shrooms, great music and the best part great fellow ACDers.
Thanks for the update.
If I don't see you no more in this world, I'll meet you on the next one.
JMH