I.D.

Legal news, protests, etc.
robanglesey

fu#***s

Post by robanglesey »

that's bad news about your girl scooberu there are some bad bastards out there :evil: i can't belive you need to carry id over there now that is bad and anyway even if you show your id you won't look anything like your photo just a ghostly white with two red eyes ha ha :D

high times to you all
lctricity

Post by lctricity »

scooberu wrote:I'm sorry if I offended anyone it was intentional just can't stop wishing I was there.
Ditto my man. Ditto.

Having to carry an ID is definitely the influx of big brother thinking into the current politics of Holland. Enjoy this scene while it lasts people.

F'n Politics!
Valo

Post by Valo »

Speaking of big brother - I just found out that some poxy reward card that I signed up for in a supermarket works in a way of scanning all your shopping items and forwarding the information onto advertisers alike !!!

I keep getting weird chinese food leaftlets and offers posted to me after I spent a few quid on chinese style food in the supermarket a couple of weeks ago.

Sorry for going off an a bit of a tangent, but I guess this is another way the Government can keep their eye on you.

Glad this is the off-subject forum!!!
~ Is that a grinder in your pocket? ~
sonicblue

Post by sonicblue »

[quote="mazdog"]I sincerely apologize for the idiocy being forced upon the world by the courntry I'm from and our clueless leaders. /[quote]

me too. i'm afraid the worst is yet to come.

btw - i keep a photo copy of my passport with me. the original i hope is ok in my room's safe.
My thoughts are free.
superchunkymonkey

Post by superchunkymonkey »

would any id with a birthdate and picture work? cuz i have a university id with both on(no driver license i was caught with weed in the car when i had my permit and no adult driver was with me, i kno i kno i was an idiot)
Boner

Post by Boner »

Valo wrote:Speaking of big brother - I just found out that some poxy reward card that I signed up for in a supermarket works in a way of scanning all your shopping items and forwarding the information onto advertisers alike !!!

I keep getting weird chinese food leaftlets and offers posted to me after I spent a few quid on chinese style food in the supermarket a couple of weeks ago.

Sorry for going off an a bit of a tangent, but I guess this is another way the Government can keep their eye on you.

Glad this is the off-subject forum!!!
Just seen this - any chance it was the 'Every little helps' supermarket? If so the wife and I only use our reward card when we get fuel for the cars since finding out its so they can spy on you!
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
Shorty

Post by Shorty »

I turned 18 recently, and literally on my bday, i was bombared with junk mail! Its like they knew exactly when i was going to be 18, just so they could send me crap.

And get this. The council sent me a bday card, which said i should go place my vote! (elections). Honestly, doesnt that just piss u off?
Tommy G

Post by Tommy G »

I wouldn`t know I`m 28 and never been on the electoral roll, It don`t matter who u vote 4, the government always gets in. Welcome 2 the forum by the way.
Guesty

Post by Guesty »

so what happens if you dont have id.?
keeror

Post by keeror »

If you don't have I.D. you probably won't be able to get served in a coffesshop, unless you are old like me.

If the police stop you for any reason, like if you have an accident or don't have lights on your bike, then you need ID or you get a fine, about €25.

ID for foreigners must be passport. No drivers liscence, student card, etc.
Maybe some European national ID cards are acceptable, but I wouldn't bet on it.
DC

Post by DC »

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_art ... ow+the+law

I believe they can and sometimes do refuse a copy of your passport also.

I think it's more to do with the immigrant problems and the amount of shady bastids that are here, than you american folk. I personally like the law because it removes argument and blame on us for not serving people that obviously look under age and have 'forgot' their ID to prove otherwise.
DrGonzo

Post by DrGonzo »

Oh I hope I get age checked..... it'd make my day....... it really would.... :lol:
Doog

Post by Doog »

I've just come back from Amsterdam where I didn't get ID checked anytime or anywhere but I did see it happening in coffeeshops and in bars.

And you WILL be asked to leave if you don't have your PASSPORT on you. (One guy I saw flashed his credit cards and was told it had to be a passport)

There is no way I look anywhere near under age but I still felt uncomfortable about having to have my passport with me at all times.
Boner

Post by Boner »

My wife gets ID'd quite a bit (which she now loves seeing that she's 31) and we've always shown her driving license which is the photo-card type with no problems whatsoever.
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
Dredd

Post by Dredd »

We ask for ID if the customer in question could be under 21.
If you have no chance of being mistaken for under 21, then you don't really need to carry ID around Dam.

I sure as heck wouldn't carry my passport. I love the old town, but it is a den of thieves (more the pick-pockety type than the armed robbery type).

With the law change, it's now technically required for all Dutch citizens to carry ID, but I'm not sure that the change has caused more people to actually do so.

There has always been massive resistance to such an idea, as the last time it was imposed on Nederlanders was when the Nazis were occupying the country. As the generation with first-hand experience of those times becomes fewer in number, dodgy forms of social control are popping up all over.

The issue of police asking for ID should never really come up. They'll only want to see it if they're issuing you with a ticket.

They have the option of hauling you off if they're not satisfied with the details you give them.
OTOH, I've avoided a couple of fines by saying (in English, of course) that I don't have any ID on me. For a minor infraction, they're more likely to let you go on your merry way than to go to the trouble of taking you to the nearest station to prove who you are.

If you don't want to carry ID, just don't ignore red lights (on foot, bike or car), always pay for your tram/train tickets (even if the lack of barriers and inspectors is tempting) and don't be loud and disorderly in residential neighbourhoods.
Then the police will barely notice your existence.