Buying A Coffee Shop

General discussion about cannabis and coffeeshops.
Terminal Bert

Buying A Coffee Shop

Post by Terminal Bert »

I have come into a few $$$$ and was wondering if it is possible for a foreigner to buy an existing coffee shop or open a new one.
As an Australian who visits Amsterdam frequently, I would like to own my own and give Amsterdam and visiting Australians a "taste of home".
It would have an Aussie theme and be decorated in an Australian style with Ned Kelly, Crocodile Dundee and Aussie stuff to give it atmosphere.
What do you think?
Do I have to be a Dutch National to make this sort of investment ? Can someone direct me to a Realtor who can find me a place?
Are there any Coffee Shops for sale ?

CHELSEA_SMOKERS_SOCIETY

Post by CHELSEA_SMOKERS_SOCIETY »

two diffuicult things to remember...

dutch law now stipulates that there are no new coffeeshop licences to be given out any more. so transfer of licence from previosu owner is the only way to get one. (in the event that a licence falls out of use and ceases to exist, it can no longer be reinstated. every time a licence is lost, a coffeeshop is lost for good)

2) the licences are not transferable to other buildings. if you purchase a licence for a shop, it has to continue at the at exact location. so even if the building owner desides to refurbish the buildings he owns, and thus your address is changed, then its goodbye for that shop/licence again. Homegrown fantasty nearly had this problem recently.

so the only way in to the business is by finding a whole shop and licence that can be tranfsered to you.

it is gonna be difficult though.

what ive fanatasided about doing, and this is much more achievable, is opening a weed friendly bar. that way, the whole issue of business owning is much more secure/easy. but the place is your to style as you like, and smoking can be the main point of it if you like. lots of other positives too, eg: also bars are not subjected to closing times like coffeeshops (1am or 12am)
Trips to the 'dam: 27
Boner

Post by Boner »

I always thought there wasn't any new licenses being issued but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that wasn't true.

To be honest you'd be better off trying to find a shop to invest in, I dont know how much cash you have but I'm pretty sure you need to have about a million euros to buy a coffeeshop.

Maybe send Highly Blessed a private message, he posted recently that he knew of a few coffeeshops that were for sale (Rusland being one), he may be able to help point you in the right direction.
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
CHELSEA_SMOKERS_SOCIETY

Post by CHELSEA_SMOKERS_SOCIETY »

Boner wrote:I always thought there wasn't any new licenses being issued but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that wasn't true.
i'd love to read that if you know where to dig it up from?
Trips to the 'dam: 27
bleak

Re: Buying A Coffee Shop

Post by bleak »

Terminal Bert wrote:As an Australian who visits Amsterdam frequently, I would like to own my own and give Amsterdam and visiting Australians a "taste of home".
It would have an Aussie theme and be decorated in an Australian style with Ned Kelly, Crocodile Dundee and Aussie stuff to give it atmosphere.
What do you think?
I'm also Aussie, and I would say be careful about doing an Australian theme. If it was done tastefully, it could work, but usually those 'Aussie' places are horrible (especially for Australians who are just embarrassed by it). Theres an Australian themed bar near Rembrandplein and it sucks balls, just really cheap and kitch. They try to use Aussie slang on the signs etc, but use the words wrong :roll: :lol:

If the Aussie theme was subtle, then it could work. Just take the good parts of Australia, like the friendly and casual culture, the good food and drinks, the natural landscapes etc. Not the road signs with bullet holes, the hats with the dangling corks, and the 'outback dunny'.
TRANCE

Post by TRANCE »

I love all the Walkbout Aussie bar chain in the UK. They all have the Australian theme done well, all sport TV's etc. The one in Newquay (surf beach) is friggin brilliant, on a cliff top, over looking the beach with a drop down cinema screen for live sports, absolutley huge place with an amazing window seat area.

I want to know how much the OP has got to spend on a coffeeshop in Amsterdam.....do tell. :wink:
MY AMSTERDAM MAP = www.amsterdamer.supanet.com
highdro

Post by highdro »

CHELSEA_SMOKERS_SOCIETY wrote:
Boner wrote:I always thought there wasn't any new licenses being issued but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that wasn't true.
i'd love to read that if you know where to dig it up from?

It may be somewhere in this old post , i remember it being mentioned once too, as my knowledge till then was exactly as you said previous.

https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=
highlyblessed

Re: Buying A Coffee Shop

Post by highlyblessed »

Terminal Bert wrote:I have come into a few $$$$ and was wondering if it is possible for a foreigner to buy an existing coffee shop or open a new one.
As an Australian who visits Amsterdam frequently, I would like to own my own and give Amsterdam and visiting Australians a "taste of home".
What do you think?
Do I have to be a Dutch National to make this sort of investment ? Can someone direct me to a Realtor who can find me a place?
Are there any Coffee Shops for sale ?
no mate you dont need to be dutch to do it but you do need to be living in holland with a bsn number,also a business registered with the kvk(chamber of commerce)
dont know any marklaars who deal with this
i know couple for sale,ill find ya one for a commision ;)
they gonna be lookin bout half million ish tho!
but before you start do you have any idea or experiance with running coffeeshops,weed supplys, tax and police laws,paperwork,controles etc.
best of luck mate
pm me if ya need any help
blessss
roker

Post by roker »

makelaars don't deal with BSN or KvK...you'd have to go to the local Belastingsdienst for your BSN, and the Kamer van Koophandel to register the business...Once you've *re-opened* the shop, I'll bet growers galore will pop in to do business...sell good shit at a reasonable price and hey? who knows...be aware though, I'd bet it's a real dog eat dog business...you'll need security and everything, or at least a couple'a heavies around...
roker

Post by roker »

Rusland
1012 CL Amsterdam
€ 840.000,- k.k.
hypotheek vanaf 1096,- p/m

Rusland is for sale at €840,000, mortgage available from €1096 per month...there are more, just look!

I'd imagine this includes the upper floors as well, maybe make it a b&b too!
highlyblessed

Post by highlyblessed »

roker wrote:makelaars don't deal with BSN or KvK...you'd have to go to the local Belastingsdienst for your BSN, and the Kamer van Koophandel to register the business...Once you've *re-opened* the shop, I'll bet growers galore will pop in to do business...sell good shit at a reasonable price and hey? who knows...be aware though, I'd bet it's a real dog eat dog business...you'll need security and everything, or at least a couple'a heavies around...
yeah mate i meant i didnt know any marklaars who deal with coffeeshop sale,they nothing do with kvk or bsn numbers,but you will need both before you can start
you think its that easy to get good weed for coffeeshop roker? trust me it aint,there are more shops looking for good weed than growers running round trying to sell it
i think that price for rusland is for the building not the coffeeshop which is a seperate business in a premesis rented from the building owner
if you buy that you will just own the building not the coffeeshop licence
we were offerd rusland the business not the building for half that
blessss
roker

Post by roker »

No, Rusland COFFEESHOP and building on Jaap.nl for 840,000...
roker

Post by roker »

tbh...coffeeshops are going on sale now by the smarter owners...anyone who buys one now must be a penny short of a £...
Cal X

Post by Cal X »

I think it would be wise to wait and see what happens with the new Dutch Governments Coffee Shop laws. If they do decide to implement a Dutch citizens only law, the number of patrons would go way down, especially in the Centrum. I just don't think that this would be the best time to buy a Coffee Shop!
wietroker

Post by wietroker »

Cal X wrote:I think it would be wise to wait and see what happens with the new Dutch Governments Coffee Shop laws. If they do decide to implement a Dutch citizens only law, the number of patrons would go way down, especially in the Centrum. I just don't think that this would be the best time to buy a Coffee Shop!
Yup, worst time to buy a coffeeshop IMO. Based on current turnover levels, I reckon it would take 5 years to get your money back at best (though you do have an asset too). Anything could happen in those 5 years.