Colorado votes on legalization

Legal news, protests, etc.
Alaskan Biker

Colorado votes on legalization

Post by Alaskan Biker »

Well for those who already have not heard the news the state of Colorado that is already one of the very few states that allows medical cannabis (unfortunately the DEA still conduct raids on medical users)......
......anyway the citizens of Colorado will be voting on legalization of possession of one ounce for those over the age of 21 on November 7.

In Alaska we legalized it using the courts and now finally in a so called land of democracy this issue is going to the citizens of one of our states.

The question now is will the federal government who wants to bring democracy to the whole world finally honor the wishes of it's own citizens if this passes or will they remain the hypocrites they have always been because so far they have ignored the wish of every state that has voted on medical cannabis and allows it for their citizens and the Federals routinely bust patients in those states.

At the very least it is a long over due change in the wind and it even has me a little bit hopeful :) .

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/4801.html

http://stopthedrugwar.org/taxonomy/term/153

http://www.saferchoice.org/

******* World Wide Legal *******
jim and sonja

Post by jim and sonja »

Cool news, lets hope common sense prevails eh, it looks like the revolution starts here.
I smoke, therefore i am
mazdog

Post by mazdog »

Those SAFER people are on a roll! They figured out a very very simple way to put the "weed problem" in perspective for the general public.

(for those that don't know, SAFER is a activist group who message was basically that 'weed' should be treated the same as alcohol. And since there is no way anyone can argue that alcohol is safe or benign, there were able to get thru to a alot of people.)

I wish them luck, altho i highly doubt the feds will step out of the way and let the citizens run thier lives.
'enjoy the pain while it lasts' - Dj TRON
milehigh

Post by milehigh »

And I am a registered Colorado voter. I will be voting in favor of legalization. The coolest thing is, I will be doing it from my new home in Haarlem. Via absentee ballot from a coffeeshop address.

Come to Haarlem and look me up at Indica soon.

milehigh
Alaskan Biker

Post by Alaskan Biker »

sorry to bring bad news again but with 53% reporting in it is looking grim in Colorado and I think it safe to say legalization is going to lose here also

http://elections.cbslocal.com/cbs/kcnc/ ... e319.shtml

:x :? :cry: ...........NO COMMENT :!:
mazdog

Post by mazdog »

and i thought CO was getting there shit togeather............88% reporting and its at 60% NO on the MJ vote.

and they also voted YES to ban same-sex marriage and NO on a measure that would give same-sex couple some of the legal rights they should be entitled to. Idiots.
'enjoy the pain while it lasts' - Dj TRON
courtjester

Post by courtjester »

Milehigh, that's freakin' HILARIOUS!

Truth always is better than fiction.
Alaskan Biker

Post by Alaskan Biker »

Well here is an encouraging statement from the SAFER crowd who led the way on Colorado's legalization initiative.
I copied this from their website and it is encouraging news for the state of Colorado especially after reading what their entire budget was.

Marijuana Legalization Initiative Garners the Support of More Than 40 Percent of Colorado Voters

DENVER -- Colorado's Amendment 44, which proposed a change to the Colorado Revised Statutes to make the possession of up to one ounce of marijuana legal, garnered more than 40 percent of the vote in Tuesday's election.* While the initiative obviously fell short of passage, the campaign succeeded in raising the profile of the issue in the state and helped build the foundation for a significant grassroots movement in support of marijuana policy reform for the future. The campaign also succeeded in educating the public about the fact that marijuana is far less harmful than alcohol.
* Due to extensive voting problems in Denver, fewer than 50 percent of the county's votes have been counted

Despite spending less than $60,000 after the signature drive, the Alcohol-Marijuana Equalization Initiative Committee forced people to think about the irrationality of having laws that prohibit the use of marijuana while allowing adults to use alcohol. The "marijuana is safer than alcohol" message resonated in newspaper articles and opinion pieces, on televisions newscasts, and in numerous radio interviews. The campaign also used creative paid media, such as billboards and newspapers ads, to spread its message throughout the state and around the nation.

The results also demonstrate that the majority of voters in a number of counties around the state agree with Denver voters and do not think adults should be punished for using marijuana. Amendment 44 received majority support in Boulder, Clear Creek, Eagle, Gilpin, Gunnison, La Plata, Lake, Pitkin, Routt, Saguache, San Juan, San Miguel, and Summit counties.

"We are not disappointed at all with the results of today's election," said SAFER Campaign Director Mason Tvert. "This campaign, following on the heels of our successful legalization initiative in Denver last year, was just one step in a five- to ten-year battle to make marijuana legal in Colorado. Now we see that a number of counties around Colorado support changing the state law regarding adult marijuana possession so that they have the right to set their own local policies."

"One low-budget initiative campaign cannot overcome 70 years of government lies and propaganda," Tvert said. "If it were possible to make marijuana legal with a $60,000 campaign in a state with nearly three million voters, it would have been done long ago. But the writing is on the wall in Colorado and we will continue to educate the public while pressuring government officials and community leaders to explain why they think adults should be punished for using a substance less harmful than alcohol."

http://safercolorado.org/blog.htm