Freewheelen fietstocht

Planning a trip to the Netherlands? Post the details here.
Freewheeling

Freewheelen fietstocht

Post by Freewheeling »

I'm planning a bit of cycle touring around The Netherlands in early October, probably planning on mostly visiting the more rural parts of the country, although no doubt stopping off in some of the cities too. I'm wondering if it might be a good opportunity to sample some outdoor grown herbs given the time of year. I'll probably catch a ferry to the Europort and just head off directly from there, with a possible brief diversion into on of the bigger cities of the Randstad to pick up some spiritual refreshments on route. As for places that I might visit Zwolle seems quite likely, and Arnhem, Utrecht and Groningen are all possibilities, as well as some smaller places where herbal supplies probably won't be available. I hope to get quite a few miles of pleasantly relaxing riding in given that conditions there, with distances of between 100 and 200 km per day being my expectation at the moment. Obviously this will all depend somewhat on the weather being suitable, but if it isn't then a longer stay in the same place and excursions out from there will offer enough flexibility to avoid riding all day in the lashing rain.

Freewheeling

Re: Freewheelen fietstocht

Post by Freewheeling »

So, the preliminary arrangements have been made for a ferry to Europort arriving on the 1st of October and a hotel in Amsterdam, not too close to the centre but near the Oosterpark and hopefully not too much of a hike from Yo-yo coffee shop as recommended by Not the Monk. I expect that I'll be heading further inland on the Monday morning, although whether I'm going towards Zwolle or Arnhem areas is as yet undecided.