Grasshopper 2

Comments on specific shops. Use search to find the topic for a shop.

Do you like the Grasshopper 2?

Yes it's great
3%
It's O.K.
14%
No, it's gash!
83%

Total votes: 69

Kenny dope Smoker

Grasshopper 2

Post by Kenny dope Smoker »

ACD page: GrassHopper 2

see also GrassHopper 1

This was my first ever coffeeshop experience, and wasn't a good start to the night( I only went for 1 night).

We got off the plane and went straight into Dam square and went to the conveniantly place Grasshopper 2, as soon as we walked through the doors the smell of green hit us, so we wasted no time in ordering some bud, but when my m8 ordered first, the bud tender just shoved about 15g of bud on the scale and demanded a rediculus price, he tried it with all of us, and most A-dam virgins will just panick and pay, but when he tried it with us, we just kept saying take some off...about 5 times!

The second time i went in there a year later they tried to do it again, my m8 just told him to fuck off and walked out, he never tried it again with any of us who were still waiting...but I've only been there 3 times.

The seating is uncomfortable and the staff don't make you feel welcome at all, very bad vibe, but the bud is very good, even if it is VERY expensive.

Overall it's a tourist trap, but at least the bud isn't shite too like other comercial cafe's.

Kenny

for god sakes steer clear of the bulldog & Smokey!
DrGonzo

Post by DrGonzo »

Just popped in for a quick drink last Wednesday..... there was one particularly lovely barmaid.... so lovely infact even my wife commented on her looks. :shock:
When the going gets weird, the weird get going!
den

Post by den »

never bought anything from this place. heard about it a lot. visited in march during the early afternoon. Very pricey had a couple of juices and a joint of my own on my way out of the RLD. Very beautiful barmaid indeed :)

Peace.
pass the skins
MiT

Post by MiT »

Its the place to go if you've never been before, its a famous name and it attracts the tourists. I was suckered in the first time I went, but would'nt buy any weed there.

Quite a good place to meets up with friends as everyone knows where it is.
Smell my cheese you mutha!
courtjester

Post by courtjester »

Quite simply my least-favorite coffeeshop in Amsterdam. I don't talk it down to Mrs. C.J., because she sort of liked it, and had me buy her a t-shirt from there, so I don't want her thinking how badly I hated the place whenever she wears it. But I really did. It sucked, it was expensive, and it was one of few A'dam coffeeshops that charge for the toilet. Never again.
Mark_d

Post by Mark_d »

i am not paying 16 euros for one gram of weed.....and that was one of the cheap ones i saw!

after getting severe hassle for ID, true we are all only 18 and we expect to be ID'd i have NO problem with that but the guys there were so rude about it and gave us such a hard time that im glad we didnt stay
johnjay

Post by johnjay »

Their menu didn't seem to have any special strains and the budtender automatically assumed that I was "just another English speaking tourist".

Walked out without getting anything.
easy life

Post by easy life »

15 euros for a gram off silver pearl and it was crap.
only stopped as my leg/back was bothering me.
woulnd`nt off piad the 15 if it hadnt been s/pearl but i used to grow this a lot and it was my favorite and was expecting something nice...be better off buying a 2.50 euro imported strain for all the buzz i got.deff not happy and to boot the tender wasnt well a nice chap,thats being light on that subject.
imo~i should of known.
Caligula

First Post (Some Reviews)

Post by Caligula »

This is my first post, so I figure I'll start with a couple of reviews. I have been to Amsterdam 6 times (from New York).

First, a lot of people give the Grasshopper a bad rap- and I think this is a little unfair. Yeah, it's a touristy, overpriced place, and the weed isn't the best in the Dam. That being said, there are few better places for a person traveling alone to meet new and cool people to hang out with for a night of getting hammered! You can roll up a joint and have a smoke with a pint in the upstairs bar (which is a luxury in the Dam these days) and I have always found the bartenders to be friendly (with the exception of maybe one time, but that is to be expected anywhere). It is a big place, 4 floors with lots of space. Definitely a good mix of people from all over the world, as it is the traditional meeting point for many, being that it is well known and so close to Centraal Station. Agreed, for purely the weed selection, it is not among the best, but for hanging out and partying, it is right there with the best of them.

Looking forward to hearing what all of you think...

Caligula
sh@dy

Post by sh@dy »

What clientele is there hanging out in the Grasshopper? Younger people around 20, or older people or just mixed up?
Caligula

Post by Caligula »

sh@dy wrote:What clientele is there hanging out in the Grasshopper? Younger people around 20, or older people or just mixed up?
There is a very diverse crowd; all ages, nationalities, etc. Like I said in my original post, the great thing about the place is the mix of people, many of whom just got off the train and made the Grasshopper stop #1. In November, I went on a 5 night trip to Amsterdam, traveling alone. Probably 3 of those 5 nights I spent a good few hours in the Grasshopper, relaxing and talking to people. I met a girl from Thailand, a bunch of local Dutch, a bunch of English, Irish, an Italian cat- you name it. You will surely read a lot of negative reviews saying how touristy it is and how overpriced and average the gear is- and that is true. Like I said, I just dig the party atmosphere.
sh@dy

Post by sh@dy »

Caligula wrote:
sh@dy wrote:What clientele is there hanging out in the Grasshopper? Younger people around 20, or older people or just mixed up?
There is a very diverse crowd; all ages, nationalities, etc. Like I said in my original post, the great thing about the place is the mix of people, many of whom just got off the train and made the Grasshopper stop #1. In November, I went on a 5 night trip to Amsterdam, traveling alone. Probably 3 of those 5 nights I spent a good few hours in the Grasshopper, relaxing and talking to people. I met a girl from Thailand, a bunch of local Dutch, a bunch of English, Irish, an Italian cat- you name it. You will surely read a lot of negative reviews saying how touristy it is and how overpriced and average the gear is- and that is true. Like I said, I just dig the party atmosphere.
Thats the place I was searching for....we will buy our stuff elsewhere and go there for party :)
Johnny J

Post by Johnny J »

Where is Grasshopper 1?

!!JOHnNY J!!
Twichaldinho

Post by Twichaldinho »

Johnny J wrote:Where is Grasshopper 1?

!!JOHnNY J!!
Its the big massive Green fucker opposite Centraal station and Damrak.
Endure
DrGonzo

Post by DrGonzo »

That's number 2 I'm afraid... the original one is on Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal.
When the going gets weird, the weird get going!